• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Dub Track - English Dubs, not Inferior

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Those are some good arguments. I agree with all of them especially the one where you won't get the same experience as the Japanese in watching subs.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised that you are bringing up such an old column topic.

While Mr. Matthews has some good points, some of the argumens are rather flawed in nature.

Even so, good dub work should be recognized, inferior to the original work or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Lol, I like the last part. Even IF we had to watch it for cultural reasons, then we might as well watch EVERYTHING else in different languages. It further justifies some anime HAVING to be watched in English like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Black Lagoon, Fullmetal Alchemist and whatnot because of their western (European in the latter, most likely old with traits of German) settings. Plus we might as well watch anime set in Italy in Italian like Moero! Top Striker!

And let's not forget American cartoons set in different cultures, let's watch

Alladin:
It's set in an old Arab civilization, so let's watch that in Arabic.

The Hunchback of Natre Dome
Must be watched in French

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but that makes them dub-haters a bunch hypocrites. Watch anime in Japanese because of the culture when we've got lots of anime set outside Japan. That makes me think lowly of anyone who prefers subs.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
That's cool man, but I was watching Rave Master and Gundam Seed on Toonami last night and those ones are set in magical fantasylands and outer space so what sort of language SHOULD we be watching it in?

(Hey by the way, I heard that this really cool new anime called One Piece just got licensed and it's going to be on Toonami too, I hope the dub is good!!!!)
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
That's cool man, but I was watching Rave Master and Gundam Seed on Toonami last night and those ones are set in magical fantasylands and outer space so what sort of language SHOULD we be watching it in?

(Hey by the way, I heard that this really cool new anime called One Piece just got licensed and it's going to be on Toonami too, I hope the dub is good!!!!)
I lol'd. Laughing
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
[looking at dates]
Man, this is an old article. I thought ANN locks old thread.

Sorry for the bump
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay, who brought up an 8 year old thread?

Anyways, I love the arguements he puts in here. Usually, I just ignore the sub fans and watch everything dubbed. As he said, "dub will get you closer to the true anime experience unless you know japanese".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey people from 7 years ago. Can you pass a message onto 4Kids for us?

"File for bankruptcy before April of 2011."

Thank you very much.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1