• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'm a bit confused and need to know this: spoiler[did Kaiki actually date Senjougahara two years ago?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Ok, I'm a bit confused and need to know this: spoiler[did Kaiki actually date Senjougahara two years ago?]

Of course not, their spoiler[ages are too different], but that does not mean that spoiler[she did not have a crush on him, a guy that appeared and said he could solve her problems].
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Nayu wrote:

Of course not, their spoiler[ages are too different]

In this show? Heh. Very Happy

Team Mayoi! No... take the salt away! Pllllllease!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking Yotsogi was just messing with him. I don't really know why though
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Was this really an end? The story was obviously interrupted. Will it be coherently continued/completed? If so, when?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Was this really an end? The story was obviously interrupted. Will it be coherently continued/completed? If so, when?

Yes there are more novels left. They are going to release Kanbaru's arc later this year and the next thing on plate will probably be the movie explaining how Araragi got his vampire powers. Then I assume in a year or 2, we will get the final season with the rest of the novels (The novels are still coming out).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
redundant info- WHG, beat me to the answers...

MaxSouth wrote:

SHAFT and Shinbo have expressed desire to adapt all of the Monogatari books and an OVA is already planned for the skipped Kanbaru story from this series of stories (check the Encyclopedia page for details). But that's not exactly a direct continuation. From what I've gathered the events take place after this but the book it's based on was released before the book's adapted at the end of this season.

Just keep your eye on the news. The series remains popular, Shinbo is a workhorse and has the clout these days to get things done he wants to do, I'd count on everything getting adapted eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks.

But what about spoiler[Kaiki's hitter? What the story behind him? Who was spying on Kaiki? (As Kaiki said, it was not the boy, it was someone else.) What has happened to Kaiki after he was left to die in his blood?]

Will they continue to explain this, or this part of the story will be just dropped?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
kaiki's spoiler[attacker was the kid who cursed Nadeko back in Bake.] it returned to him and made him crazy. Kaiki spoiler[shows up in later novels] so it will probably be explained later
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks but spoiler[who became crazy? Kaiki or the boy? And why boy has cursed Nadeko in the first place?]

By the way, this anime series is probably the most exquisitely written among half thousand titles I managed to watch to this date (I am light years behind true anime maniacs who have seen thousands of titles, but still). It looks like animated book, not really as anime. And, thanks to the quality of writing, it is good.

I am usually totally unbearable because I pick and nitpick whatever stretches and inconsistencies settings and/or stories have. But this is one of the rarest cases where my OCD-brain did not register nonsense: I thought the world that authors have created was intricate, thought-out and coherent enough for me not stumbling upon any blatant "fakery" that would ruin my immersion into the story.

Ultimately, nothing is perfect, but this is as good as it could possibly get for this kind of theme, approach, style. I literally can not think of anything that could be done better in this project, except for maybe music theoretically being of bigger, more epic scale. But I decline this aspect as being potentially improvable since this specific kind of anime may not necessary benefit from bolder music.

Taking all of those considerations, I rated this "masterpiece": the project is piece of work of true masters.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The boy spoiler[had a crush on Nadeko. she turned him down, and I guess that pissed him off enough to go to Kaiki and get the snake curse to curse Nadeko. Now he is slowly dying and probably not in a healthy state of mind]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
The boy spoiler[had a crush on Nadeko. she turned him down, and I guess that pissed him off enough to go to Kaiki and get the snake curse to curse Nadeko. Now he is slowly dying and probably not in a healthy state of mind]

Araragi, as he always does with everyone, spoiler[should save him?]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Most of that story was dealt with in Nadeko's first route.
spoiler[There were two snake curses on Nadeko, one from the boy who got turned down, one from the girl in her year that liked that boy and was upset that he confessed to Nadeko (why this is a problem seems to be a Japanese thing- it's not the first time I've seen it as a reason for a girl disliking another girl in an anime). Arraragi was able to purify one, I think and tried to take the other one out too, because he does try to save everyone, Kanbaru stopped him because it would have likely killed him. But I believe they said that Meme Oshino took care of the snake that got away... so, the boy shouldn't still be affected by one, or at least not the SAME one.]

spoiler[I guess it's also possible that it's a different boy affected by a different snake curse, made worse by other means. Kaiki did pass those curses out like tainted candy, they were supposed to be largely harmless, but Nadeko made hers worse, it's possible another boy did as well.

The implication is that everything going on is the work of Ouge Oshino, who the boy mentioned in his ramblings as the person who told him Kaiki was back. Careful about reading titles of later books, I did, and I think the last book might spoil her secret-- or it might be a false clue- I mean, I kept worrying what "Hitagi End" meant, but my worst fears weren't met ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^^
spoiler[There were two snake curses on Nadeko, one from the boy who got turned down, one from the girl in her year that liked that boy and was upset that he confessed to Nadeko (why this is a problem seems to be a Japanese thing- it's not the first time I've seen it as a reason for a girl disliking another girl in an anime)..]

Ugh I don't think its just a Japanese thing. I have seen this in American shows and cartoons. Girls can be scary creatures. Twisted Evil
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^^
spoiler[There were two snake curses on Nadeko, one from the boy who got turned down, one from the girl in her year that liked that boy and was upset that he confessed to Nadeko (why this is a problem seems to be a Japanese thing- it's not the first time I've seen it as a reason for a girl disliking another girl in an anime)..]

Ugh I don't think its just a Japanese thing. I have seen this in American shows and cartoons. Girls can be scary creatures. Twisted Evil

It's not just the jealousy though... what they get upset about is the part that should actually be a positive. They get upset that the girl turns down the guy they they like... isn't that exactly what they should want?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14