• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It's not just the jealousy though... what they get upset about is the part that should actually be a positive. They get upset that the girl turns down the guy they they like... isn't that exactly what they should want?

Damn I forgot about that part. Now that you mention that, I think have seen this before in some manga. Something along the lines, "OMG he isn't good enough for you, I shall hurt you."
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^^
Most of that story was dealt with in Nadeko's first route.
spoiler[There were two snake curses on Nadeko, one from the boy who got turned down, one from the girl in her year that liked that boy and was upset that he confessed to Nadeko (why this is a problem seems to be a Japanese thing- it's not the first time I've seen it as a reason for a girl disliking another girl in an anime)..]

Ugh I don't think its just a Japanese thing. I have seen this in American shows and cartoons. Girls can be scary creatures. Twisted Evil

It's not just the jealousy though... what they get upset about is the part that should actually be a positive. They get upset that the girl turns down the guy they they like... isn't that exactly what they should want?

"She thinks she's better than X-kun? Who does that bitch think she is?"

Honestly, it's the exact same reason people get so upset when other people insult their favorite TV shows. A lot of your sense of identity is invested in what you like, so if other people don't like what you like then you feel like you're being personally insulted.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought the deal with the snake was that Koyomi was not actually able to destroy the snakes, but just send them back to the one that made the original curse. I thought it was a case where instead of having one person suffer he instead made two, but they were only half what one would have had (so less life threatening) and they were the ones that did the original curse and deserved less sympathy. So if spoiler[Oshino did get rid of one there would be the other, although there could be the chance that Ougi ensured it would continue just to get to Kaiki indirectly].
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought the deal with the snake was that Koyomi was not actually able to destroy the snakes, but just send them back to the one that made the original curse. I thought it was a case where instead of having one person suffer he instead made two, but they were only half what one would have had (so less life threatening) and they were the ones that did the original curse and deserved less sympathy. So if spoiler[Oshino did get rid of one there would be the other, although there could be the chance that Ougi ensured it would continue just to get to Kaiki indirectly].

One of the snakes was dealt with by the charm Oshino gave him (the one that Nadeko held on to while praying). However, the charm could only affect one snake, and Oshino was never told that there were two. The second escaped and attacked the boy (who eventually hunted down Kaiki).

Oshino never did anything other than give Araragi the charm: when Hanekawa asked about the snake she was asking about the first snake, which Oshino did indeed deal with. Some people get that confused for some reason, perhaps forgetting that no time at all has passed between arcs, it's literally the next day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14