• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NottJim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this season so far, I think it says a lot about the quality of the entire cast when you can leave the "main" character out for several episodes and it's still really great.

A bit of a meta thing here, I always have to watch each episode twice. First time with lots of pausing to read all the text and second time straight through to just enjoy the show without fretting over the subs / text. There is just so much subtlety packed into each episode I feel like I'm missing stuff if I don't do this.

Does anyone else do this?
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch each episode 2-3 times, but I guess I do it backwards. I do the first run without pausing or anything (if I can't read the text then the text is unreadable, right?) and then do more thorough passes on later viewings.
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I think this season is the most different than all of Monogatari to date, but I still love it. I like that the show can still function with Araragi although I am hoping he shows up sooner than later.

I had a question about the art style and its direction. So in Bakemonogatari there is some awesome crazy art that goes on through Araragi's head and just in general. The first episode (Bake) is a good example. They used different drawing materials and even live action shots at times. Do you know why they got rid of that stuff? I thought it was a interesting addition that fit perfectly with the weird show.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Because Bake sold really well and now they have a budget. Most of that stuff was in there to make it cheaper to animate. I think this is a case where cheaper =/= worse though.

I also want to say something about how this new season has all been shown from Hanekawa's perspective and therefore it makes sense for the style to be different. She sees the world differently, which is a recurring theme.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap this episode wore out my pause button more than any other.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Holy crap this episode wore out my pause button more than any other.

Same here. Great to see spoiler[Araragi-kun] back in action in a badass way. Loved this arc, hopeful for the next as well.

Uh btw, I hear somewhere that the next episode is a complication/recap or sorts..can anyone confirm this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It's about time spoiler[Araragi] showed up! I was getting lonely. Anime hyper

Watched this when it aired on TV last night but this is definitely one of those series where I have to rewatch it subbed because it's hard to stay focused with all the dialog otherwise.

Stark700 wrote:
Uh btw, I hear somewhere that the next episode is a complication/recap or sorts..can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, text scrolled at the top of the screen stating that the next episode was going to be a recap. =/
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

So Tsubasa finally managed to spoiler[accept her "dark" feelings, get some closure on her crush, and become a properly rounded character]. The sudden part of spoiler[Black Hanekawa suddenly just talking like her normal self had been something a long time coming, basically the reveal that there is no real difference based off that time Black Hanekawa forgot] to speak like a cat.
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Because Bake sold really well and now they have a budget. Most of that stuff was in there to make it cheaper to animate. I think this is a case where cheaper =/= worse though.

I also want to say something about how this new season has all been shown from Hanekawa's perspective and therefore it makes sense for the style to be different. She sees the world differently, which is a recurring theme.

Thats what I heard in regards to the increased budget. I have to disagree though, I think the crazy art added something different that went well with the weirdness of the whole show.

Oh well though, the story of the following seasons have all been amazing.

In regards to episode 5, I am way impressed with the writers that they made spoiler[ Araragi a real man, in the sense that when essentially proposed to by Hanekawa at the end of the episode he did things perfectly. He respected Hanekawa's feelings, which he appreciated, but did not keep her waiting with indecision like so many other protagonists in "harem" type animes. ] I think this is the best harem anime ever, if we can even call it that.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
I cant wait to see the explanation as why to Araragi looks the way he does. Hope it a thrilling journey. Felt sorry for Hanekawa for the first time ever when spoiler[she got rejected], and I'm going to miss spoiler[Black Hanekawa]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Just caught up on this series.
DuskyPredator wrote:
Season 2, Episode 2 (Tsubasa Tiger 2)

So it looks like the major focus was put on the fact that Tsubasa does not really spoiler[mind whether she likes or dislikes something, she just goes for the basics]. Her experience with spoiler[cooking was the basic ingredients, but nothing like seasonings added], really it is something simple that expresses how strange something is.

Reminds me of a scene in the very first episode of Bakemonotari, when she was asked if she liked bananas, and responded with something like "Well, I don't dislike them, and they're nutritious, so I guess so."

Prince of Thieves wrote:
I think this is the best harem anime ever, if we can even call it that.

I've always wondered whether to classify this series as harem or not. I don't quite view it as harem myself, because in my mind a harem series has as part of it's premise the question of who (if anyone) the protagonist will end up with at the end, while Bakemonogatari has made it abundantly clear that Hitagi and Koyomi will be together barring some horrible tragedy.

Rather enjoying it so far, more so than Nisemonogatari. But I am definitely getting frustrated a bit that the Kizumonogatari movie isn't out yet. As I understand it, in the light novels this occurred right after Bakemonogatari. And yet us poor anime viewers don't have it yet. I want to know just what the heck happened during Spring Break with Shinobu, gosh darn it! Plus I'm starting to worry that not knowing will interfere with my understanding/enjoyment of the show as it goes on.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Rather enjoying it so far, more so than Nisemonogatari. But I am definitely getting frustrated a bit that the Kizumonogatari movie isn't out yet. As I understand it, in the light novels this occurred right after Bakemonogatari. And yet us poor anime viewers don't have it yet. I want to know just what the heck happened during Spring Break with Shinobu, gosh darn it! Plus I'm starting to worry that not knowing will interfere with my understanding/enjoyment of the show as it goes on.

Kizu happened before Bake
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Kizu happened before Bake

The way I typed that came out wrong. I know that chronologically Kizu was the first story, but I was referring to the release order. The light novels told the story out of chronological order, starting with Bake despite the fact that both Kizu and Neko-Black took place before it. And the anime has followed suit, with the exception that Kizu isn't out yet.

I was able to watch Bakemonogatari, and despite being very curious about what happened before (that first teaser in episode 1 was very striking), I never felt that I had to know what happened before in order to largely understand what was going on in the present. But there were parts of Nise with Shinobu and Koyomi interacting where I felt a bit more lost. My concern is that as we get further and further into the show, such incidents will happen more and more, because at this point in the story in the light novels everyone knew all about the events of Spring Break and the characters involved.
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Prince of Thieves wrote:
I think this is the best harem anime ever, if we can even call it that.

I've always wondered whether to classify this series as harem or not. I don't quite view it as harem myself, because in my mind a harem series has as part of it's premise the question of who (if anyone) the protagonist will end up with at the end, while Bakemonogatari has made it abundantly clear that Hitagi and Koyomi will be together barring some horrible tragedy.

I am pretty sure harems can have a clear choice, most of them don't, but thats a reason I like Araragi that much more is that he has a few legitmate choices and he at first does think about Hanekawa but after Golden Week he decides he can't have her be his first love, which I never really understood.

Wiki says the following on Harems: Harem, hāremumono (ハーレムもの?), broadly, is a loose subgenre of anime and manga characterized by a protagonist (or several protagonists) surrounded, usually amorously, by three or more members of the opposing sex and/or love interests.
I feel like I am beating a dead horse now (which is a crazy saying in its own right) but I would be a lair if I said I did not enjoy harem animes, and again this is such a refresher because a choice is made.

Are the novels available to read in English anywhere? I am enjoying this series enough that I would not mind investing some in it if I could find it in English.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Prince of Thieves wrote:

Are the novels available to read in English anywhere? I am enjoying this series enough that I would not mind investing some in it if I could find it in English.

From what I can tell, none of the light novels are officially available in English anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14