Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki to Stream Gundam ZZ TV Anime


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
I would watch ZZ if someone paid me to. But otherwise there's no effing way I'd ever touch it, legal streaming or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Adv193



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I may have seen ZZ Gundam in the past but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. While most of the first half was bad, there were still a lot of good moments I liked in the second half.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StudioToledo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Toledo, U.S.A.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Why are you reporting on this? It's not anime.

Ceci n’est pas une animé!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zaphdash



Joined: 14 Aug 2002
Posts: 603
Location: Brooklyn
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
Both Zeta and ZZ look fine on blu-ray (although there's a noticeable difference between the opening credit sequences, which are immaculate, and the episode content itself, which is merely pretty good). Then again, I'm not so into "cleaning up" old footage in the first place. walw6pK4Alo got at the real problem when he mentioned things that become plasticky when the effort to remove all the "imperfections" ends up washing out details in the image (actually the "immaculate" opening credits sequences verge very closely on this, although I still remember them on balance looking awesome, not fake).


I believe the difference between the OP/ED sequences and show is that those were on 35mm, and the actual series on 16mm. It's very noticeable, Zeta's OP in 1080p is orgasmic.

Never knew that (is it common to do the credits on 35mm or is Zeta unusual?) but makes a lot of sense, and explains how they can look so incredibly sharp without looking unnaturally cleaned up.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
Live action isn't nearly so forgiving, and yet with many movies they still indiscriminately carpet bomb the film source with noise reduction filters and so forth. Too many people (both in Hollywood and the anime industry) view noise, grain, etc as some sort of intrinsic flaw in film that, thankfully, they can now correct, when the reality is that the pursuit of "perfection" just carries art further away from its audience.


Didn't they give Aliens a blue filter? As for film, they claim "grain isn't part of the original vision, it's just a horrible intrinsic affliction we're cursed with, with so it's okay to remove at will". That's bullshit, and they know it.

I'll take the intense grain and general dirty print of Wizards to the clean plasticity of Aristocats every single time.

Aliens had a lot of noise reduction work done, although I still think it looks basically all right (luckily James Cameron is nothing if not incredibly anal and detail-oriented, so the work was at least done carefully, even if I would call it unnecessary). I'm not sure about a blue filter, I don't remember it looking like that, but I haven't watched it in quite a while (and unfortunately my Aliens blu is in storage ~5000 miles away at the moment, so I can't check). Regardless, there are definitely some bad Hollywood blu-rays out there. I've got the first Predator, which is a particularly egregious example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Toledo, U.S.A.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
Both Zeta and ZZ look fine on blu-ray (although there's a noticeable difference between the opening credit sequences, which are immaculate, and the episode content itself, which is merely pretty good). Then again, I'm not so into "cleaning up" old footage in the first place. walw6pK4Alo got at the real problem when he mentioned things that become plasticky when the effort to remove all the "imperfections" ends up washing out details in the image (actually the "immaculate" opening credits sequences verge very closely on this, although I still remember them on balance looking awesome, not fake).


I believe the difference between the OP/ED sequences and show is that those were on 35mm, and the actual series on 16mm. It's very noticeable, Zeta's OP in 1080p is orgasmic.

Never knew that (is it common to do the credits on 35mm or is Zeta unusual?) but makes a lot of sense, and explains how they can look so incredibly sharp without looking unnaturally cleaned up.

I think when the series initially aired in Japan, stations typical used 16mm prints anyway over 35 on these shows, recalling how many had that grainy, film-chain look in the 80's.

Quote:
Quote:
[quote="zaphdash"]Live action isn't nearly so forgiving, and yet with many movies they still indiscriminately carpet bomb the film source with noise reduction filters and so forth. Too many people (both in Hollywood and the anime industry) view noise, grain, etc as some sort of intrinsic flaw in film that, thankfully, they can now correct, when the reality is that the pursuit of "perfection" just carries art further away from its audience.


Didn't they give Aliens a blue filter? As for film, they claim "grain isn't part of the original vision, it's just a horrible intrinsic affliction we're cursed with, with so it's okay to remove at will". That's bullshit, and they know it.

At least it's not DVNR'd to hell. That's really unforgiving in the animation world.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/old-brew/dvnr-when-cartoon-restoration-goes-bad-1011.html

Quote:
I'll take the intense grain and general dirty print of Wizards to the clean plasticity of Aristocats every single time.


At least someone loves the look of Wizards!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group