• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NISA Licenses DanganRonpa, Demon Gaze Games in West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Expias wrote:
Looks like I'm wrong. I've read a tweet saying it's the vita version but they cut out the 2nd game.

From what i've heard the 1-2 Reload Vita game would have been the best most comprehensive version ever, but I can also understand NISA's unwillingness to devote so much to getting out 2 quality VNs out in this timespan.

Well thats pointless. The first game is already fan translated... it would be big news if this was announcing the 2nd game as well. So much for my hype.

I notice you keep acting as if everyone plays fan translations. Here and the Steins;Gate thread. That is not the case. It is not pointless for a professional translation team to release an official translation after a shoddy group of amateurs does. It is not pointless to wait until you don't have to screw around with torrents and patches and hacks, especially when it comes to a PSP game. It is not pointless to buy an official English version to support the release of similar games in your area and to show that there is a demand for the game in your region.

I'd wanted to play this game for a while. I was hoping this was for PSP like the original, because then I'd finally have enough excuses (and money) to buy one. I hope I can still manage to play this anyway.
Expias

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I would like to say I noticed that too Altorrin, but it's not just RyanSaotome in the Steins;Gate thread. There were a few others not only based on the fan translation but because of the anime. I was a little disheartened by peoples' reactions to the Steins;Gate announcement. As a fan of visual novels, I don't care if a fan translation came out or not. If I am able to buy it at a decent not-completely-inflated-price, I will go and buy it even if I played and finished it.

I want Chaos;Head too. I have that fan translation even though it's shoddy because of the wizardry needed to make it even work a bit. I want Steins;Gate because I heard it was amazing and what I HAVE heard of it is amazing.

I have the fan translation of DanganRonpa even though I imported PSP the Best just less than a month ago so that I could support the series and play it with a patch. I am not even upset because I WANT this release to happen. If I have to, I'll be buying several copies of Dangan Ronpa for my friends with Vitas so that NISA knows most of us want SDR2.

I would like to say though that I thought the fan translation was a great job. Looked amazing. I'd say it was very close if not already is as close to being a professional piece just without it being the case.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but its tough to be all excited about a translation of a game I've already played translated. Its a let down.

doubleO7 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Well thats pointless. The first game is already fan translated... it would be big news if this was announcing the 2nd game as well. So much for my hype.

Its not pointless. Not eveyone uses fan translations. I'd rather own the official english version, and of course if it sells well they'll eventually bring over the second. So yeah, I'm still hyped.

If they really want good sales, they shouldn't be licensing games that already had a translated version almost a year before it gets released. Thats like why Xenoblade sold so badly in NA, people already had the ability to play a translated version for a long time before the NA version released.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Heard Xenoblade sold well in NA, especially in its first month of release. Probably have to realize expectations as well since it was retailer exclusive.

Kind of sadden to hear some of these reactions to this and Steins; Gate. Its like not buying an anime that has fansubs already out. I know, apples and oranges, but like others have said, there are many who don't play fan translations or watch fansubs that would love to have them come out officially.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it escapes the same fate Gyakuten Saiban games got with all the Americanization and internet memes shoved in there. I'd hate to play through the game with a hero named "Truthy Woodson" or something. Hopefully they keep it like the Japanese version.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I just hope it escapes the same fate Gyakuten Saiban games got with all the Americanization and internet memes shoved in there. I'd hate to play through the game with a hero named "Truthy Woodson" or something. Hopefully they keep it like the Japanese version.

Hey, I love the localization of Ace Attorney. That said, I doubt that would be happening here: Danganronpa's Western fanbase would probably flip and boycott it.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not to mention I like actually. You know. Supporting stuff I like so the companies that make and release stuff I like can make and release more stuff that I like. Madness, I know.

I'm looking forward to this. Finally a solid reason to buy a PS Vita.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Try buying a copy of Xenoblade, its sells for over 90 for a reason. They set a limited print run from the beginning plus being on the Wii did help. Beside in Xenoblade's case you could buy an official english release, since the European version had english, so its not quite the same.

Nice to see both the ps3 and vita getting good rpg announcements.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Hey, I love the localization of Ace Attorney. That said, I doubt that would be happening here: Danganronpa's Western fanbase would probably flip and boycott it.

Which is why I'm glad the anime premiered before the game did in the west. Hopefully that convinces them to leave things uncensored since they figure people will have seen the anime and know the characters and script already.
Expias

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's a letdown for you, but many people would love to play games that they've played already translated.

I still want to play Little Busters!, Fate/Stay realta nua, Chaos;Head, Danganronpa, Never7, Remember11, Fire Emblem Binding Blade, Mother 3. I won't say Steins;Gate because I decided not to play it when the translator said he'd want to give the translation an overhaul.

And this doesn't count but if Ever17 got another release I'd go for it. It's too expensive for me now. I'd buy Xenoblade... when it came out I didn't work or have cash flow so I definitely didn't have a Wii so I didn't think I'd need to buy it then. Little did I know it would be virtually impossible to find at a decent price and package now.

Fan support, especially after fantranslation, is a must have imo. If you don't support something you were willing to get a fantranslation of without importing... you don't do us any favors. That old "exposure" excuse doesn't cut it so I expect everyone who ever heard that to cough up. Otherwise, I expect no complaints when companies shut down fantranslations hard.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
DanganRonpa, hurray! Very Happy Guess I'll put the anime on hold now, so I don't get spoiled for the game.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Kind of sadden to hear some of these reactions to this and Steins; Gate. Its like not buying an anime that has fansubs already out. I know, apples and oranges, but like others have said, there are many who don't play fan translations or watch fansubs that would love to have them come out officially.

The problem is that games like Steins;Gate and Danganronpa have next to no replay value. Once you play the fan translation, theres little reason to every play them again since they are story games with little gameplay.

Its fine if other people want to be excited, but its a bit egotistical to think that people who have already played the game should be excited that they are translating a game they have already played in English. I'd rather they use those resources on good Japanese games that AREN'T translated.
Expias

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
I don't think people SHOULD be excited. I can only hope that there wasn't that much "well I got a fantranslation (or the anime) so I won't get it and just hope they'll release a very niche game already that I won't be buying" attitude like I've seen a few posts in here and the Steins;Gate thread.

Seeing posts like those are disheartening for fans because these type of sales will get us more of the things people WOULD want.

I'm a little disheartened by the responses because it goes back to fansub/localized product... All those fansub = awareness and exposure becomes pretty much nonsense. Maybe NISA fucked up when they didn't C&D Project Zetsubou but I'd like to think that the fantranslation did what we've always touted they would do... hype and exposure.

Danganronpa will have the social link type aspect to it that they added to the vita and put in the 2nd game. The socialization without fear of death thing, equating it to a dating sim portion epilogue of the game or so.

I don't know. Maybe it's me I like these things. I'll be purchasing 999 on iOS as soon as it's out because I like the story so much.... I'm an avid reader. Maybe your response shows exactly why the VN genre is so very niche. "no replay value" so it better not be translated/let's played in a way I can understand or I won't buy it!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I'd hate to play through the game with a hero named "Truthy Woodson" or something.

Like the Japanese don't make up silly names by themselves; yet we still play them.

CrownKlown wrote:

Try buying a copy of Xenoblade, its sells for over 90 for a reason. They set a limited print run from the beginning plus being on the Wii did help.

A friend sold his for a couple hundred bucks - paid for the game and the Wii! Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:35 am; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The first game is already fan translated... it would be big news if this was announcing the 2nd game as well. So much for my hype.

Apparently the Vita version has additional content that was not on the PC version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3