• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illustrata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok, voting Benten as best female character (and best villain at that!) of the year. It's not often we get a character portayed in such a non-selfconscious way, who's neither a saint nor a devil. Femme fatale indeed.

The series has been such a blast to watch which is a surprise because I have never been a fan of PA Works. I thought the ending was actually fitting to the whole idiot blood manifestation. Clever.

Sad though that we probably aren't getting a sequel of this (heard the novel will be a trilogy).

Hope more Morimi novels will get animated! From The Tatami Galaxy (I give credit to Yuasa here too though) to Uchoten, I think we have a winner.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
illustrata wrote:
Ok, voting Benten as best female character (and best villain at that!) of the year. It's not often we get a character portayed in such a non-selfconscious way, who's neither a saint nor a devil. Femme fatale indeed.

But what did she even do? Presumably she spent the entire time trying to make herself happy, first thinking she could get it by using her looks to get power, stepping on a man who give everything to her to get that power. And then realizing that she was bored once she reached what seemed to be the top, keeping up a façade to show herself as free to make herself look menacing, desirable or free, when really she feels alone. I find her to be rather pitiful more than anything to look up to.
illustrata

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="DuskyPredator"]
illustrata wrote:

But what did she even do? Presumably she spent the entire time trying to make herself happy, first thinking she could get it by using her looks to get power, stepping on a man who give everything to her to get that power. And then realizing that she was bored once she reached what seemed to be the top, keeping up a façade to show herself as free to make herself look menacing, desirable or free, when really she feels alone. I find her to be rather pitiful more than anything to look up to.

Who says she's someone you need to look up to? She's a severely flawed and nuanced character; on hindsight that's actually not something you often see in anime. Someone here mentioned she's a lot like Naomi (from the aforementioned Junichiro Tanizaki novel); I say she's Naomi-lite and that's utterly fascinating because Naomi herself is a creep.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
OMG this was licensed by NISA? I didn't see a thread about this on ANN. Did the news just not get over here yet or did I miss it?

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2034532

http://www.hulu.com/the-eccentric-family
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
^Ooh! I definitely hope that's a sign NISA will release it! o(>u<)o
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
Ooooo, I hope the NISA thing is true. As I said earlier, this show is virtually a made-to-order NISA title.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
So I marathoned this series after seeing so many comments about this anime on the Best of 2013 thread. I have to say the hype did not lie. The show was amazing. I gave it an excellent. I can see why some people had this show as the best anime for 2013. Personally I thought Monogatari and Oregairu were better shows though.

I have a question about Benten. I can understand Yasaburou adding sama to her name, but why does his father and mother also call her by Benten-sama?
Leprochaun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I can understand Yasaburou adding sama to her name, but why does his father and mother also call her by Benten-sama?

I would assume it's because they see her as a Tengu. And Tanuki are treated as lesser creatures than Tengu. Or well, something along the lines of seeing themselves as a lesser creature than she is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
She's literally higher on the food chain. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
^
Which doesn't make sense because tanuki are shown to have way more power than humans or tengu. If the father wanted to he could have razed Kyoto to the ground without even trying. The second son has significant power, and even lower-class tanuki are the ultimate assassins like those changelings off Star Trek. All tengu can do is fly; whoop-de-doo.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
But they don't eat people.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
^
True. But that's besides the point. Rather, my gripe is that they allow people to eat them despite being the most powerful out of the three races. Even if tanuki are inherently stupid - and that's a large stretch given that they display as much intelligence and emotional capacity as humans do - it makes no sense to allow the decidedly weak tengu to push them around, and clueless humans to eat their kin.
Leprochaun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^All tengu can do is fly; whoop-de-doo.

They also seem to be able to generate wind out of nowhere. The show didn't really go into how powerful a tengu could be.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
True. But that's besides the point. Rather, my gripe is that they allow people to eat them despite being the most powerful out of the three races. Even if tanuki are inherently stupid - and that's a large stretch given that they display as much intelligence and emotional capacity as humans do - it makes no sense to allow the decidedly weak tengu to push them around, and clueless humans to eat their kin.

I agree with this statement and it's one of the only issues i had with the show (besides Benten). Tanuki have no real reason to just let themselves be eaten since they can transform into things like trains and animals so why just allow themselves to be killed?

While I think the intelligence thing is a kind of poor excuse I believe it's just a matter of accepting that they just don't value their own lives the way we do. They live rather carefree lifes so I guess they don't have many attachments to the world that would make them so worried about dying. Sadly this point is contradicted quite a lot in the show since if that was the case would our loveable family be even sad if one of their own died? Tanuki pretty much show the same emotions/intelligence that humans do so i always hated the idea of cooking them because they are lower on the food chain even though that really shouldn't be the case at all.

Perhaps it's this mindset that keeps them from becoming TOO human. Afterall we saw the effects of this with Souun. The dude acted nothing like a Tanuki and was consumed with greed. We never even see him transform back into a Tanuki which shows he had adapted to the lifestyle of humans so much that his state of mind became skewed. If all Tanuki ended up this way they could easily become unstoppable tyrants of the world.

So i suppose the old saying "Ignorance is bliss" fits the bill for how these creatures think lol.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Tanuki have no real reason to just let themselves be eaten since they can transform into things like trains and animals so why just allow themselves to be killed?

I don't think they can transform when they're caged, and they have trouble holding the transformation when they're upset (which might account for the cage thing). So from what we saw, trickery (which would include human traps) and ruthlessness, or an injury was required to capture them.

Also it seemed like there was a wide range of transformation skills among them. If everyone could turn into a mountain, it wouldn't be amazing to anyone, and the brother had to be drunk as a skunk to pull off the train bit. Tigers are useful, but that seemed to be the elder brother's specialty, again not easily achieved.

I just don't think being eaten was enough of a danger (one or two annually these days) for the laid-back Tanuki to spend their lives improving their defenses against it. Just like most people don't spend much time or thought worrying about and physically preparing themselves against the day they're hit by a bus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11