• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shiki on DVD, Blu-ray in Spring 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
EDIT: Megiddo just brought the explanation I was waiting for (though in this case, we're talking at least 15 months...). But does that mean that they won't be released in half-a-season boxsets? I'm assuming that at least the first half was released in Japan by now, but maybe I'm wrong.

15 months?

No. There are around 9 months in between Summer 2011 and Spring 2012.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah! Go you FUNimation! Now all I need for them to license is...

1. Puella Madoka Majika
2. Princess Jelly Fish
3. Baka to Test

And I'll be one happy lady!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
BakaTest has already been licensed for release by FUNi.

I think summer or fall of this year is the projected release (though no official date yet I think)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Well that good but when is Strike Witches 2 and Spice and Wolf 2 are coming out
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
BakaTest has already been licensed for release by FUNi.

I think summer or fall of this year is the projected release (though no official date yet I think)

As proof to show what Megiddo has said is true:

Ta da!

Release date is June 28, 2011

Last edited by Rukiia on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
EDIT: Megiddo just brought the explanation I was waiting for (though in this case, we're talking at least 15 months...). But does that mean that they won't be released in half-a-season boxsets? I'm assuming that at least the first half was released in Japan by now, but maybe I'm wrong.

15 months?

Ah okay, I meant 15 months after it finished airing since I assumed that this is what you meant. It just seems to me like we didn't have to wait quite as long for other BD/DVD releases like Canaan, for example. When you put it that way, 9 months isn't all that bad, but I find it odd that they would announce it soooo much in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamanashi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Kinda a while till then, but at least it is coming out before the end of the world. Not sure if Rosario+Vampire will make it out before then though.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
When you put it that way, 9 months isn't all that bad, but I find it odd that they would announce it soooo much in advance.
Is is really so unusual to announce the license on acquisition, announce the release date when it is set, announce the availability for pre-order, and announce the official release?

And, indeed, this is more in the nature of confirming a leak rather than a deliberate decision to announce this license exactly now.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news! I can't wait to see Shiki on a screen bigger than my little laptop's. Certainly hoping Kuragehime gets released as well Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

15 months?

Ah okay, I meant 15 months after it finished airing since I assumed that this is what you meant. It just seems to me like we didn't have to wait quite as long for other BD/DVD releases like Canaan, for example. When you put it that way, 9 months isn't all that bad, but I find it odd that they would announce it soooo much in advance.

Something to remember is that Canaan was only a 12/13 episode series I believe, while Shiki was 22 TV episodes with 2 DVD/BD-only episodes. It had 6 BD volumes while Shiki has 9. Vol 6 of Canaan came out 3/17/2010 in Japan, and the Canaan BD and DVD sets hit stores 10/26/2010, so that is within the 6-12 month standard timeframe to be expected. Also, Sentai doesn't dub nearly as much stuff as FUNimation, so they can frankly put out their newly acquired stuff faster. But yeah, the difference between a 7 month wait and a 9 month wait isn't that drastic. It's just two different companies' method of announcing their license acquisitions.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
That suits me just fine; takes a load off my backlog and I get an official release. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
2012... seriously? I've been eagerly waiting for this news for a while, but announcing something that won't be released in the next 12 months (at least) is ridiculous. Especially since they announced months ago that they acquired the rights. I suppose it just means that they are licensing much more than they can actually handle. I really can't wait to watch this show, it looks great, but man... a whole year. :\

Well, to be fair to Funi, I don't believe they intended to announce this just yet. What happened is they put up a splash page (for reasons that I don't quite understand) which got noticed by Rukiia, who mentioned it here in ANN Talkback, and then I guess Funi decided there would be little point in denying it, so they made the announcement official. That being said, there is often quite a long lag time between a Funi announcement and a Funi release. For myself, I prefer knowing something is officially licensed even if it means a lengthy wait as opposed to no announcement and then wondering if that title will actually ever get picked up.
Potato07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
I have wait since the time Funimation brocast Shiki. Now it is the time, yay!

I don't know if they will really release Shiki in 2012 (still to early to be sure. Funimation might cancel it anytime), but me too, do prefer to know that there is some percentage that they will license it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
This is the first instance of Funimation announcing a physical release for one of its Noitamina simulcasts.

You may find this list interesting. May be coincidence or unrelated but still..

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hope they give it a sweet limited edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5