• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Deadman Wonderland, Gangsta. Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
"I find your lack of Silver Spoon disturbing."

Not to rain on the parade of a license rescue, among other things, but the longer Viz Media don't announce picking up this series, the more it strains my patience. I suppose they might be waiting to see what kind of numbers the CrunchyRoll simulcast will pick up. It's probably the wise, business-like thing to do, but I promise I'll buy every single one they print!
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
So happy about the Deadman rescue! Now I'm really glad I kept my Tokyopop volumes of the series so I don't have to rebuy them Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Darn, I just can't help but be a little annoyed that they didn't rescue Future Diary while they were at it. Though maybe Funi releasing that on DVD will change things?

So, the new Akira Toriyama manga will be a one volume affair it sounds like. I'm a-ok with that, he does good one volume things too, I just hope it goes to print.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
More excited about Dragon Ball and Ranma ½, but Deadman Wonderland and Gangsta should be fun to own.
Have yet to read Nisekoi, but I'll wait until I've watched the anime before I decide whether or not to collect the manga.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, Deadman Wonderland! I love a good mafia story, so Gangsta sounds interesting too.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. Finally Ranma gets right to left format. Hopefully VIZ will add some color pages but it doesn't look hopeful since they aren't vizbig volumes. Sad

Also excited for the print version of Dragon Ball color.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
If that full-color Dragon Ball manga is censored or mistranslated, I'm done buying Viz products.... that are DB-related.

If it's a good translation, sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
^ I thought Gerald Jones' manga translation was pretty well-received.

There is a hell, and it has frozen over. I was NOT expecting Viz to have ANYTHING to do with Ranma 1/2 ever again. I'm sure glad I was wrong. Releasing the manga un-flipped is beyond good news. I hate flipped manga, and this release is long overdue. This gives me hope that an anime re-release is on the horizon.

Deadman Wonderland is good news too. I knew SOMEONE was going to rescue it, but I wasn't expecting it to be Viz (I was expecting Yen Press). I was holding out on getting the manga until it was rescued or continued. With how popular the franchise is right now, I know Viz has found themselves a hit.

Viz is quickly making up for their past shit, and becoming my favorite licensing company. They have officially won Anime Expo with this and their Neon Alley announcements.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
DarkPhoenixMishima wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
I doubt VIZ will shut down.....ever, but I can still wait, just in case.

They may not shut down, but it's still possible for them to cancel the series halfway through.
I still hate them for abandoning the Reborn manga.

On last weeks WSJ podcast Viz said they are possibly looking into Reborn manga. If digital manga continues to do well I am sure other series may have a chance at completion.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
My lone volume of Deadman was looking pretty sad there. Gimme a chance to complete it? yeah, I'll take it, thank you. Pick up all of Ranma 1/2 in Omnibus? oh hellz yeah. Good news!

Already have the Ghibli hardcovers so I'll do a wait -n- see on those or more than likely just skip 'em altogether.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Viz, for rescuing Deadman Wonderland! I loved the anime and was disappointed that the manga had been discontinued.

Oh, and while I'm at it, how about a Cantarella license rescue? Anyone? Anyone?

*guess I was the only one who read it* sigh
skaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
I knew Ranma was going to get a re-release! fudge yeah!
I expected it to be a Viz-big omnibus edition though v.v it seems like its going to be a Cross Game or Tengho Tenghe sort of release.. Does anyone have this editions? Are they good? Are they the same size as VizBig's releases? And do they contain color pages?

Speaking for Cross Game, they are more like normal manga volumes, but thicker. Not much color to speak of, if any.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:

On last weeks WSJ podcast Viz said they are possibly looking into Reborn manga. If digital manga continues to do well I am sure other series may have a chance at completion.

*takes out note*

Manga that needs to be continued/restart again are:

Gin Tama
Reborn!
Shakugan no Shana
Strawberry 100% (5 more friggin' volumes left to complete, what the hell are you thinking, VIZ?!)

If any, VIZ needs to jump-start Hayate the Combat Butler manga to release volumes faster to catch up to japan's release.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Deadman got an ENORMOUS boost in popularity after Toonami aired the anime adaptation; the last half of the anime's ratings rivaled Bleach in viewership! I doubt that the manga will sell poorly, since the show's found a rather sizable audience thanks to airing on Toonami.

I mean it only rivaled Bleach because it was airing right after it.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Was not expecting Ranma to be released again, hope for Maison Ikkoku anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4