• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Deadman Wonderland, Gangsta. Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
zeta kira wrote:
Was not expecting Ranma to be released again, hope for Maison Ikkoku anyone?

While that would be cool, I can't see that happening in print form, since the franchise has never been a hot seller here. I suppose your best bet would be a digital release.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
dmw, thank god.... now i can start collecting it without spending a small fortune on old tokyo pop volumes.
sam6782

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Mr Big200 wrote:
only if Deatman Wonderland doesn't sale

This is what sadly happened to hayate as well. I really wish viz would do a digital release so those who don't have room to store 20 plus volumes could buy it.

Uh, Hayate is still going. Vol 22 is coming out in September and 23 is coming out next February
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The day has finally come. More Deadman Wonderland, yay!!!
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly just p*ssed that Viz is reviving Deadman. I really want to avoid giving them more of my time and money. I guess Deadman will have to join Toriko in my exceptions.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
I only hope that they can do the same thing with Future Diary. It seems like a good show for Toonami with Funi having the license and the manga looks like it would sell well for Viz.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
puppy1843e wrote:
I only hope that they can do the same thing with Future Diary. It seems like a good show for Toonami with Funi having the license and the manga looks like it would sell well for Viz.

It would be heavily censored on Toonami though. And while Future Diary could still sell for Viz, they'd have a harder time since they would have to restrict it per their policy, where the digital version would not be available through their online apps. If they aim for a T-rating to make it available, then expect massive editing. The same applies to Deadman Wonderland.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'd been hoping Viz would release Ranma 1/2 again. I recently got into Rumiko Takahashi but the volumes of that were really difficult to find. Good on them for rescuing Deadman Wonderland as well. Whilst it's not my thing, I'm sure it'll sell well. Now where's my rescue of Maid sama and Gakuen Alice?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Glad they rescued Deadman Wonderland
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Yay, I can't wait to get my hands on Deadman! Thank you Viz! Anime smile
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Glad Deadman Wonderland is getting a rerelease. I never cared to waste any money on tokyopop or those digital volumes that were available from J-Manga; I'll gladly pick this up. As for Ranma, I just bought the whole series from a guy for $55.00, so I'm a bit nonplussed about it.

penguintruth wrote:
If that full-color Dragon Ball manga is censored or mistranslated, I'm done buying Viz products.... that are DB-related.

If it's a good translation, sold.

I've never bought Dragon Ball for that reason. I remember hearing that Viz was doing a new printing that was suppsoed to be uncut, but the first volume was accidentally published censored and they're gonna do a reprint. Does the colored Dragon Ball thing mean they're gonna cancel this release?

configspace wrote:
puppy1843e wrote:

It would be heavily censored on Toonami though. And while Future Diary could still sell for Viz, they'd have a harder time since they would have to restrict it per their policy, where the digital version would not be available through their online apps. If they aim for a T-rating to make it available, then expect massive editing. The same applies to Deadman Wonderland.

I don't think Viz has censored anything new they've published since they've acquried Tenjho Tenge, save Bokurano's underaged sex scene. Future Diary could easily be sold with a 16+ rating, which is what DW is likely gonna get. What policy are you talking about?

MangaNeko wrote:
On last weeks WSJ podcast Viz said they are possibly looking into Reborn manga. If digital manga continues to do well I am sure other series may have a chance at completion.

I hope so; although, I hope it's a physical release. Even if it's limited, I'd still gladly buy it.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
configspace wrote:
puppy1843e wrote:

I don't think Viz has censored anything new they've published since they've acquried Tenjho Tenge, save Bokurano's underaged sex scene. Future Diary could easily be sold with a 16+ rating, which is what DW is likely gonna get. What policy are you talking about?

It's not just Bokurano. They still censor the print volumes of
Naruto:
vol 14: more steam around Yoruichi.
vol 22: Rangiku's uniform to cover up her cleavage

Bleach:
vol 38: centerfold of the booklet has silhouettes instead of skin
vol 37: Shikamaru's cigarettes are edited out

Pokemon: http://youtu.be/2qe0Xlu9Ta4

Godchild:
vol 4: redrawing of religious artifacts

There are many more examples with One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho (and he's wrong about Viz's signature line--Bokurano was a Signature title and it still was censored), etc, etc. Jason covers some of it here: animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2013-01-03
And it still continues. The fact is, any title that is not M-rated is susceptible to censorship by Viz. Viz is not like other publishers. If Vampire Bund were published by Viz instead, the violence would pass, but all of the nudity and sexuality and religious imagery would surely be censored if it remained T-rated, which is what Seven Seas rates it as. The same applies if Future Diary were licensed by them, explaining my response to puppy1843e.

I'm pretty sure their policy is not "anything licensed from the time we acquired Tenjo Tenge shall remained uncensored". The policy I refer to is from vizmanga.com for M-rated titles:
Quote:
Please note: Mature series can only be accessed via the web reader from your PC or Mac.

This means a hard 18+ restriction, which is what I meant by their own policies that limit their audience. That's the only way you are guaranteed to get something uncensored from Viz. Tenjo Tenge is also M-rated, coming under the same restrictions.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Naruto:

Bleach:

Godchild:

There are many more examples with One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho (and he's wrong about Viz's signature line--Bokurano was a Signature title and it still was censored), etc, etc. Jason covers some of it here: animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2013-01-03
And it still continues. The fact is, any title that is not M-rated is susceptible to censorship by Viz. Viz is not like other publishers. If Vampire Bund were published by Viz instead, the violence would pass, but all of the nudity and sexuality and religious imagery would surely be censored if it remained T-rated, which is what Seven Seas rates it as. The same applies if Future Diary were licensed by them, explaining my response to puppy1843e.

I'm pretty sure their policy is not "anything licensed from the time we acquired Tenjo Tenge shall remained uncensored". The policy I refer to is from vizmanga.com for M-rated titles:
Quote:
Please note: Mature series can only be accessed via the web reader from your PC or Mac.

This means a hard 18+ restriction, which is what I meant by their own policies that limit their audience. That's the only way you are guaranteed to get something uncensored from Viz. Tenjo Tenge is also M-rated, coming under the same restrictions.

Again, those instances in Bleach and Naruto are from before they started publishing Tenjho Tenge. You also left out when they changed Rock Lee's Drunken Fist to Potion Punch and when Szayelaporro's Fornicaras was changed to Lujuriosa. The One Piece censorship in that article he mentions was done in Japan originally. Much of the censorship he mentions in that article was done in Shonen Jump magazine releases; not the graphic novel release.

Anywho, Viz has been loosening up on things ever since they moved Shonen Jump to a digital format. I mention the Tenjho Tenge thing because that seemed like it was a turning point for them, but digital move certainly helped. I saw swearing in the volumes of Bleach I bought. I'm still not sure how a one-off comment on how to view digital copies of Mature-rated manga is any indication of a greater policy. Mature-rated stuff (like Koukou Tekken-den TOUGH) has been censored in the past, too. Anyway, while things they've previously censored still are, they are changing. Their color printing of DBZ has even been uncensored (save for Mr. Popo's lips).

I think that, since manga isn't the new hotness anymore in the States, they're not too worried about getting their stuff sold in places like Wal-Mart anymore.

As for the Yu Yu Hakusho torture scene, I don't even know why they censored that. All they did was remove some barely-drawn spears stuck in two hanging demons. Everything else was left intact, including the pool filled with blood and body parts and the mutilated demon nailed to the wall. Then again, Jesus was ordered to be removed from a cross in Shaman King...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm still annoyed that Viz treats One Piece like the 4Kids dub is still going on. Zoro is STILL called "Zolo", and the books IIRC still don't have any language, and haven't since the first printings of Vols. 1-5.
sugarwater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Naruto:

Bleach:

Godchild:

Quote:

Well they're certainly going to have fun with GANGSTA. then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4