• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses WataMote Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I hope they pick out a decent voice actress for Tomoko.

I'm guessing this will be consigned to the "sub only" release category.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

God, I hope not. I fully expected this to go to Funimation because it was from Media Factory. Sentai needs to stop binging on this stuff every single season.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Nahona series

For God's sake, please, SOMEBODY license-rescue Nanoha! I want the Movies and StrikerS in English, too! Sad

The Japanese blu-rays had subtitles, go buy them now. Very Happy
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Ugh, there went the chance of Watamote getting a good dub.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yeah, no. Don't know if you've noticed or not, but Sentai has been dubbing damn near everything as of late. Even shows that we were originally expecting to be sub-only (tsuritama, Kokoro Connect, AKB0048, Kill Me Baby, etc.) have gotten the dub treatment. As long as the streaming numbers are good, I see no reason why this won't get a bilingual release.

Besides, this is a Media Factory release. I'm sure some of the fans will demand a bluray, and in Sentai's case, bluray = dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

God, I hope not. I fully expected this to go to Funimation because it was from Media Factory. Sentai needs to stop binging on this stuff every single season.

Sentai, and ADV before them, have licensed Media Factory titles in the past, so acquiring Watamote isn't without precedent. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was bundled with a few of the old ADV titles that Sentai has picked up.

Honestly, I doubt this show was on Funimation's radar anyway. It really doesn't seem like the type of show they would release, let alone dub. If they had simulcast, there is a very good chance they never would have released it on home video, like so many shows in the past.

At least with Sentai, you are guaranteed a home video release. And as others have pointed it, they dub the overwhelming majority of their shows these days. Watamote stands a very good chance of both a dub and a bluray. The streaming numbers will play a lot into their decision making, as well as whether or not the title gets picked up in the UK or Australia.
norinori1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
And here were my biggest fears:
That Sentai would license WataMote.

It really is sad that they prefer Quantity over Quality.

Oh man, I sure am looking forward to an expensive yet bad release with a really weak dub (and subtitles), laughable packaging and awful encode.
It really is time to import the Japanese BD.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
norinori1 wrote:
And here were my biggest fears:
That Sentai would license WataMote.

It really is sad that they prefer Quantity over Quality.

As opposed to Funimation who does neither quality nor quantity? Of course, we could always leave it unlicensed and give buyers no choice but importing. I guess that would be a better option, right?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

The problem with the Nanoha license is that it is a victim of its own success (Japan side anyways)and simply the studio's fear of reverse importing of the otherwise pricy blurays prevent Nanoha releases from becoming a reality outside of Japan.

If you can find a Blu-ray of any of the 3 Nanoha series (not movies), let me know, since even StrikerS (which was at least widescreen) only received a DVD release in Japan.

I expect a DVD release should quell most fears of reverse importing, as it seems to do for most series.

If someone wanted to reverse import StrikerS DVDs, they could already do so...from Taiwan. Even at a pricey $19 - $26 per disc, they are quite a savings over the current $57 - $68 prices for the same 9 discs from Japan. If someone in Japan is okay with a Region 1 DVD, Region 3 shouldn't be a problem either.

Even for Strikers, the most recent series, we are also talking about a series that in less that in less than 3 months will have seen 6 years pass since the series finished airing on TV. I have to think that most people in Japan that would have purchased it at the prevailing prices have already done so.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Don't know if you've noticed or not, but Sentai has been dubbing damn near everything as of late. Even shows that we were originally expecting to be sub-only (tsuritama, Kokoro Connect, AKB0048, Kill Me Baby, etc.) have gotten the dub treatment. As long as the streaming numbers are good, I see no reason why this won't get a bilingual release.

I'd forgotten they dubbed even KMB. Things are looking up then...! As long as the F-word doesn't get involved. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I cantotally see Foster being tossed this.
geeksquads

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to reply to an older topic, but I feel this is related to the topic.

It seems that a WataMote English Dub Promo has been posted on TheAnimeNetwork.com.

Sentai Filmworks has not released a cast announcement as of this writing, but from watching the 32-second trailer, it sounds like Brittney Karbowski is voicing Tomoko Kuroki. (Note that this is my own speculation... so I could be wrong...)

Video Link here: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/WATAMOTE-No-Matter-How-I-Look-At-It-It-s-You-Guys-Fault-I-m-Not-Popular/Promo/Watch

Can anyone confirm?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm there was an ANN thread about it a few days ago.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-04/watamote-comedy-anime-english-narrated-promo-streamed

I don't think that's an English dub promo. I think that's a promo to watch the show subtitled. You're not likely to see anything of an English dub promo or release date for at least 6-9 months.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
yeah, The Anime Network got the show for their onDemand service and wanted to celebrate
geeksquads

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I can confirm there was an ANN thread about it a few days ago.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-04/watamote-comedy-anime-english-narrated-promo-streamed

I don't think that's an English dub promo. I think that's a promo to watch the show subtitled. You're not likely to see anything of an English dub promo or release date for at least 6-9 months.

Ah, I see. So it's old news then. Sorry about that.

It was spoken in first-person, so it seems likely to me that it would be an official casting decision. (All this is just speculation... so I guess we'll just have to wait for an official announcement in a few months. )
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
geeksquads wrote:

It was spoken in first-person, so it seems likely to me that it would be an official casting decision. (All this is just speculation... so I guess we'll just have to wait for an official announcement in a few months. )

An official casting decision by Anime Network... likely.
An official casting decision by Sentai... completely unknown
I can assure you though, that this is in no way representative of an official dub cast.
Anime Nework utilizes Seraphim Digital to make some of their VOD promos, that doesn't equate to a casting decision though, nor does it even equate to something getting a dub.
Though there does seem to be a slight correlation between TAN actually making a VOD promo for something and that something winds up getting a dub.
But that is not a 100% guarantee, as nothing is definitively assured just because it gets a TAN promo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3