• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakurenbo.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:01 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
spoiler[Things just happened. There was no particular reason for why the demons were there. Also, why does the "winner" have to become the fifth demon every time?]

If they explained those things, then it wouldn't be so creepy and mysterious. I really wasn't very impressed overall. It certainly looks nice, but that's less important to me than what is actually going on.

I agree, having to figure it out on your own adds to the creepy air. I really liked the premise, but the art was meh.

But if only it hadn't been entirely in CG. Biggest flaw, in my opinion. The oni looked pretty good. The backgrounds looked great. But the fox-masked children looked awful, and their movements were unatural and jerky. As for sound - excellent background music and such, but better sound effects might have been nice.

The dub isn't very good, but there aren't very many lines to begin with, so it's tolerable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
I thought it was interesting, and I'm a big CG buff, so I found the "CG that looks almost hand drawn" to be very well done, if imperfect. It was almost Mainframe at their peak quality. The plot was a little flacid, somehow both too simple and too convoluted at the same time, and of course the spoiler[Matrix ]analogs were a given.

The backstory, as I gather it, is that spoiler[somebody made/reconfigured that playground/nightmare city thing (I'm getting Fables flashbacks here), and built one or more robots. Either by accident or design, one or more of these robots gained sentience to some limited degree, and/or was specifically programmed to grow that environment. Somehow the hide and seek game got started to lure children into this space, where they could be attacked, then stored for use as batteries. Of the seven (maximum number they can safely manage perhaps?), the last one standing would take a shift as the "lure" demon, probably through use of a mind-controlling robot mask, and presumably the previous "5th" is added as a battery. I assume this is to keep the lure "fresh". The next day, the cycle repeats itself, to keep the batteries fully charged, and the cityscape growing.] There are, of course, gaps in that theory, but I think it's fairly sound overall.

Overall, the world design reminded me a lot of my favorite parts of Jet Set Radio and Phantom Dust, which I approve of. Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
is Otokoyo a real game? i can't find any info about it.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
The dub isn't very good, but there aren't very many lines to begin with, so it's tolerable.

Not that I'm trying to change your opinion or anything, but I doubt you've even seen the Japanese version to which you can compare the dub. CPM just released this on DVD and it's not exactly a title that would be popping up on every fansub site. Now, if this dub was TERRIBLE, as in you could tell that the "actors" were just random people who needed some quick cash, then it'd be different.

And FYI, this dub featured the voices of Ash Ketchum and Goku (Veronica Taylor and Sean Schemmel).
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Not that I'm trying to change your opinion or anything, but I doubt you've even seen the Japanese version to which you can compare the dub. CPM just released this on DVD and it's not exactly a title that would be popping up on every fansub site. Now, if this dub was TERRIBLE, as in you could tell that the "actors" were just random people who needed some quick cash, then it'd be different.

A dub doesn't have to be compared to the original to comment on it's quality.

Personally, the enunciation of the names irked me.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought the dub was fine, but given how common bias is these days I'm not surprised to see that mentioned at least once. I actually like the anime, and I liked the story or lack thereof. It's meant to be mysterious and make you figure it out and it just wouldn't have the same feel if it was all explained.

Not sure about why the artwork gets knocked, but then again CG work has as much a fan bias against it as dubs so it's not surprising either. I thought the artwork was great and the fps was noticeably high with very fluid motion and I think that's what throws people off because most animation doesn't quite take it to that level.

The sound though wasn't that great. I liked the dub and found nothing wrong with the voice acting. The rest of the sound effects however had a certain muffled sound to them compared to the voices and just didn't sound right. The music was decent for the atmosphere but somewhat repetitive, but still I'll take it over most the J-pop I hear so much in other series.

Overall I liked it and purchased it at release weeks ago but I can see how many weren't too fond of it. It is certainly short and certainly could have been longer, but I prefer the story be unexplained as I just don't think it would be the same if it was all spelled out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree with those who said it was only so-so. It was an interesting idea and a few scenes near the end were creepy, but the animation of the children in the fox masks was a bit jerky and the whole thing really needed another 15 minutes or so. Also, a few things needed to be explained, like why these kids were allowed to run around at night when children were going missing, especially the boy who was looking for his sister. spoiler[For instance, a pact between the demons and the city's parents that the majority of the children would be left alone if a few were sacrificed without a fight would have explained alot.] Horror isn't especially known for reason, but that just streched credibility too much for me.
dposse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that movie was awesome!!!! It was too short, but the animation and story was really cool. The ending was creepy. It reminded me of the Matrix alot, with spoiler[the kids powering the city] and spoiler[ the last boy continuing the cycle.] I didn't find anything "scary" in the movie, just creepy. I'm really glad that AdultSwim picked it up. It shows that they can go after unusual movies like Kakurenbo.

Anime smile;; sorry!!!

Last edited by dposse on Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
dposse wrote:
Wow, that movie was awesome!!!! It was too short, but the animation and story was really cool. The ending was creepy. It reminded me of the Matrix alot, with spoiler[the kids powering the city] and spoiler[ the last boy continuing the cycle.] I didn't find anything "scary" in the movie, just creepy. I'm really glad that AdultSwim picked it up. It shows that they can go after unusual movies like Kakurenbo.

You might want to fix the spelling in your spoiler tags.
tetratrax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed this movie more than i thought i would. There are few anime movies that end before i want them to, and this was one of them. I agree, it could have been longer, but then again, it didn't really need to be. Dragging an anime along is the worse mistake someone can make. As for you people complaining about the lack of explanations, did you really want them to take away all the mystery?! The main factor that makes it creepy is that you DON'T know why this is happening. Seriously, if you want a nice, uncomplicated anime that spells everything out for you, go watch Inuyasha or something. o.O
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
tetratrax wrote:
I agree, it could have been longer, but then again, it didn't really need to be. Dragging an anime along is the worse mistake someone can make.
Any good writer could have raised more questions and left us with a longer and deeper story without making it drag. A longer story could enable us to be drawn further into it without giving away the mystery. One would have a greater sense of fulfillment yet still be left wondering. The story would have had some serious potential if it were 50 minutes instead of 25. It just seemed that as soon as I was into the story and about to get really interested, it was over. Ultimately I felt it was a decent title, worthy of viewing, but certainly not of my shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tetratrax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Any good writer could have raised more questions and left us with a longer and deeper story without making it drag. A longer story could enable us to be drawn further into it without giving away the mystery. One would have a greater sense of fulfillment yet still be left wondering. The story would have had some serious potential if it were 50 minutes instead of 25. It just seemed that as soon as I was into the story and about to get really interested, it was over. Ultimately I felt it was a decent title, worthy of viewing, but certainly not of my shelf.

Again, I agree completely, but who says this writer was "good"? It seems to me that they wanted a simple "demons snatching up children, and we'll find out why at the end" movie. And that, they accomplished. I too, wish that this movie could have been longer, and had more depth, but i just don't think that's what they were going for. This was an excellent movie for what it was, but not for what most people are looking for.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:

And FYI, this dub featured the voices of Ash Ketchum and Goku (Veronica Taylor and Sean Schemmel).

I'm confused, were you under the impression that this statement was supportive of the dub, or were you agreeing with Haru?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
is Otokoyo a real game? i can't find any info about it.

Yes. It's called hide and seek and tag.
Katratzi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
I thought it was only ok, although I think I would have liked it alot more if it was expanded. But one thing I found quite interesting (and creepy) about it was spoiler[the fact that the winner of the previous game would be the 5th demon in the next.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2