• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 #1's English Dub Shown at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Except that it still isn't the real name of the show and that's not the real name of the ship.

I understand putting the show under the banner of "Star Blazers" for international promotional purposes, but that isn't the name of the show. It shouldn't be on the DVDs/Blu-Rays and it shouldn't be in the opening credits. (Maybe if the DVDs have "Yamato 2199: The New Starblazers" on the cover or something.)

I don't see the connection between autism and wanting things the way they were intended to be.

Alright, maybe obsessive compulsion would be a more accurate term. But anyway, since you do seem to understand that the name change is for promotional purposes (that will theoretically grab more attention and possibly sales than the original name), please state a logical reason as to why SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO should stay as the American name. And no, "it's the original title" or "it preserves the integrity of the Japanese version" or "it should be done on principle" aren't acceptable refutations because just going by principle of preserving the original name doesn't always insure results when trying to sell a property that's been known here under a different name for decades.

And as I mentioned earlier, if the subtitles do keep the proper Japanese terminology then a couple of changed words in the title do not justify the amount of zeal to put down this release.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
And as I mentioned earlier, if the subtitles do keep the proper Japanese terminology then a couple of changed words in the title do not justify the amount of zeal to put down this release.

I'm more concerned about the dub itself and what they may try to do to it. If the dub is changed in any way, like changing the names or trying to push it on TV and editing it again, then I will NOT be buying this release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
This might sound like a really stupid question, but what exactly is this new Star Blazers? Is it a remake of the original series? If so, how close is it? I've never seen the original show, so I'm wondering if I could just jump into this or not.

Also, anime dubs from the 70s and 80s are very much products of their time. Some hold up really well IMO like Robotech and Voltron. Though to be fair, I've never viewed either in Japanese (which admittedly is very rare for me anyway), and I heard ADV's Macross dub was atrocious. They even got Lynn Minmay's Japanese voice to give an Engrish performance.
There are also some of those old dubs that I don't think hold up very well, like Battle of the Planets (though you can't deny the show had some killer voice acting from legends like Casey Kasem, Alan Oppenheimer, Janet Waldo, and Alan Young, all of whom are among the best ever in the business), I've heard ADV's faithful Gatchaman dub, while not having as good voice acting, is still a good experience to watch.
There are also old dubs like Akira (old 1989 dub), Laputa (old 1986 dub), Angel Cop, Cyber City Oedo, and Bubblegum Crisis that, while accurate, are still laughable experiences to sit through. Oh, how far we've come.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
And no, "it's the original title" or "it preserves the integrity of the Japanese version" or "it should be done on principle" aren't acceptable refutations because just going by principle of preserving the original name doesn't always insure results when trying to sell a property that's been known here under a different name for decades.

Desiring them to respect the art form by not changing the name is not an acceptable refutation? I don't care what they sold it as in the past, the past is the past, what worked in the past isn't what the business is like today, nor what it should be.

This isn't like I want them to call it Uchū Senkan Yamato Ni-ichi-kyū-kyū. There's an acceptable translation and then there's this title that has nothing to do with the show except being the old stupid name they gave it when they brought the show over during the Dark Ages.

If a company can't sell it the way it's intended, they shouldn't license it. And nobody should have allowed them to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I find the notion that Yamato 2199 will sell better if it has the Star Blazers name on it ridiculous. I doubt that the casual fans, who watched Star Blazers back in the day, will be interested in buying a new version.

The people most likely to be interested in buying this Star Blazers 2199 are people who visit ANN. Informed anime fans know that series were butchered/edited in the past, but now WE DEMAND THE ORIGINAL, UNALTERED VERSIONS OF THE ANIME WE BUY.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying this is an example (although you can't deny Star Blazers is a more "marketable" title here, even if it does sound generic), there are cases where titles might sound too bulky and awkward when directly translated, also too long. Which would work better? "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon", or just "Sailor Moon"? It all depends on your audience.
Character name changes also usually occur because the original name is hard to remember or pronounce, which is important in children's programming. It would be a little hard to picture a show like Pokemon being marketed with the Japanese names, especially in the late 90s. Though I admit that not all name changes in English anime make sense.
As far as cuts and digital edits go, if that's what it takes to get it on TV (for time AND content), then it is what it is, as long as it's being marketed to the appropriate demographic (some anime even have edits on Japanese TV, and the uncut is saved for DVD).
I admit that One Piece is a good example of a show being marketed a tad too young by 4Kids, and more stuff was cut than needed. Shows like One Piece, Sailor Moon, and (originally) Dragon Ball Z didn't need to be chopped up so much. Pokemon is a good example of a dub where (since the show had a pretty young demographic in Japan, and was later being produced with overseas markets in mind) only necessary shots were usually cut or edited.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
We ARE the target demographic.. We are 40+ years old and know that Starblazers is Yamato 2199. We aren't 10 year olds anymore and for most of us who have been waiting decades for this a real reboot of the series from Japan.. naming it Yamato 2199 is what it should be. This isn't a reboot of a recent series. We know what the original is and WANT the original. We never got a Space Battleship Yamato stateside. We got Starblazers. Once we realized it was a Japan cartoon that was heavily edited we wanted to see what it looked like and loved it too. Now 30 years later it's on TV, beautifully recreated (and tweaked with new characters) all we want is what we have been getting for years.. Slap some subtitles and voila you got my attention. Treating us like we are 10 year olds again is utterly insulting. Starblazers is still on sale and if people can't learn new names then they can just buy that. For those of us who want to see Yamato now give us the option to have it un-bastardized. I'm fully capable of learning new names at my old age. Seems those who are adamant we accept the name changes and ship changes are those who didn't grow up with it. I bet if this was done to another current series this thread would be in the teens by now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Or if they insist on pushing Sterb Lazors, then just do what Media Blasters did with Voltron, and also offer us the GoLion option. Personally, I've never seen a single shred of Star Blazers; I've only ever known Yamato through unedited and unfiltered Japanese audio versions, including two episodes of that terrible 2520 OVA that no one should seek out. There's a lot of newcomers to 2199 that have never seen the '74 series, and probably never have to because the new incarnation is almost entirely a better show in all ways I can calculate. They've never seen Star Blazers either, so why should they be subjected to other people's lame nostalgia?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
We ARE the target demographic.. We are 40+ years old and know that Starblazers is Yamato 2199. We aren't 10 year olds anymore and for most of us who have been waiting decades for this a real reboot of the series from Japan.. naming it Yamato 2199 is what it should be. This isn't a reboot of a recent series. We know what the original is and WANT the original. We never got a Space Battleship Yamato stateside. We got Starblazers. Once we realized it was a Japan cartoon that was heavily edited we wanted to see what it looked like and loved it too. Now 30 years later it's on TV, beautifully recreated (and tweaked with new characters) all we want is what we have been getting for years.. Slap some subtitles and voila you got my attention. Treating us like we are 10 year olds again is utterly insulting. Starblazers is still on sale and if people can't learn new names then they can just buy that. For those of us who want to see Yamato now give us the option to have it un-bastardized. I'm fully capable of learning new names at my old age. Seems those who are adamant we accept the name changes and ship changes are those who didn't grow up with it. I bet if this was done to another current series this thread would be in the teens by now.

Oh, I wasn't necessarily referring to this show (assuming I'm the one you're talking to). I was just speaking generally. I suppose this show is aimed at both a new generation and fans of the original (either version). I haven't seen the original show (I wasn't even alive for about 20 years after it came out here), so I would definitely be in the former. Nobody said this show would be censored when it came here. I haven't heard about any cuts in the English pilot, and nobody has said it wouldn't be billingual when it's finally released to home video.

However, this show would be a nice fit for Toonami, or something of the like.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Oh, I wasn't necessarily referring to this show (assuming I'm the one you're talking to). I was just speaking generally. I suppose this show is aimed at both a new generation and fans of the original (either version). I haven't seen the original show (I wasn't even alive for about 20 years after it came out here), so I would definitely be in the former. Nobody said this show would be censored when it came here. I haven't heard about any cuts in the English pilot, and nobody has said it wouldn't be billingual when it's finally released to home video.

However, this show would be a nice fit for Toonami, or something of the like.

Ironicly since I've seen a few episodes some things have been changed in the remake that were changed the same way in Starblazers. Like how the older Kodai Brother dies and Robot tanks.

Heck if they can get the orginal starblazers on Sci Fi again for a short time they might have a chance to get this on toonami if they want. It make a great Not Secret show!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I find the notion that Yamato 2199 will sell better if it has the Star Blazers name on it ridiculous. I doubt that the casual fans, who watched Star Blazers back in the day, will be interested in buying a new version.

The people most likely to be interested in buying this Star Blazers 2199 are people who visit ANN. Informed anime fans know that series were butchered/edited in the past, but now WE DEMAND THE ORIGINAL, UNALTERED VERSIONS OF THE ANIME WE BUY.

No, we don't. Wait, I don't. When I watch original anime, I watch shows unsubbed with crazy commercials but it's not as fun as it sounds. I'm aware of Macross but I couldn't get into it like Robotech.

Don't get me started on Battle of the Planets.

"WE DEMAND"; It's the attitude I don't like. The Japanese are in on this and they're ok with it. So if Gojira can be Godzilla six days of the week then I have no problem with Yamato 2199 being Star Blazers 2199 on Sunday.

What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Who was it that said that? Oh yeah, that playwright who came up with Ran and Throne of Blood.

It must sound a lot better in the original Japanese...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
Misspelling right on the Youtube thumbnail pic:

GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
It's not that I disagree that there's not a good reason to call the ship the Argo, particularly since other ship names and characters are called what they were in the original. But Yamato 2199 is a fantastic anime and none of that has to do with the terminology. I'm not going to say it will be ruined over a name.

That being said, it's very possible this was a pilot dub made to market the show and not indicative of how the show will be handled whenever it is picked up by a distributor. I would be cautious about speculating too much for now.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Arguments like these are EXACTLY why we need focus groups and online polls. If you want to know what will really sell and what people really want in a show, you got to get people interested in the details and let their votes do the talking.

While I do strongly advocate for original, uncut sub footage, the reality of business is that purist demands have to come second to mainstream demands. Namely, you need to release material that will appeal to the mainstream audience first because that is where the money is. Edited dubs can help bring in that audience. Afterwards, you can release uncut DVDs or Blu-Rays with special blurbs like "Never before seen footage" along with the original japanese audio track to satisfy both ends of the spectrum. Worried about the cover saying STAR BLAZERS? No problem! Make the cover reversible with one side saying STAR BLAZERS and the other side saying SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO. Let the fans set the cover they want. It's win-win.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Considering the original Blue-Rays of Yamato 2199 have always included English sub. I'm incline to stick with it. I've seen and loved the original Star Blazers. However, thing is this cheap translation if this final form. Really don't need step backwards to point to use outdated Star Blazers brandings. People watching this for first time don't need be introduced to super-edited (later broadcasts) show, through a reimaged series which in its original form is dead on superior to the original series.

Its stupid and i don't like what their doing...regardless of branding issues they may raise. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6