• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 #1's English Dub Shown at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
I found a certain irony here:

People who are usually purists in dialogue are willing to let edited dialogue go if the edited material being presented is far more entertaining than the original form. These people tend to also be advocates for having said dialogue appear on the dub on the original DVDs or Blu-Rays.

I call this the "Spoony Bard" effect but I think there is another name to this.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Voyager, you can't call the [expletive] ship "Argo" if the character is clearly saying "Yamato". That's called being a complete douchebag.

Oh, here we go again....... Rolling Eyes

My vote was still for Enterprise or maybe they could name it "Voyager"! Razz

Besides, last time I checked, you weren't the CEO of any of these companies.

Last edited by guildmaster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

My vote was still for Enterprise Razz

Why not Yamato? That's also a Star Trek ship and they woudln't even need to edit any of the footage that way.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Misspelling right on the Youtube thumbnail pic:

good eyes. I can't even begin to read half the text in that video.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
My vote was still for Enterprise or maybe they could name it "Voyager"! Razz

Besides, last time I checked, you weren't the CEO of any of these companies.

Ah, yes, because one needs to be CEO to criticize unnecessary, insulting changes in a product they are passionate about.

The ship has a name. It's the Yamato. Period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Ah, yes, because one needs to be CEO to criticize unnecessary, insulting changes in a product they are passionate about.

The ship has a name. It's the Yamato. Period.

I'm back with the latest from the Yamato facbook group. Johnny Yong Bosch was voicing Kodai in this dub. Also someone chatted up the guys at the Production IG booth at the Japan Expo in France seems like don't want to offend people with the name Yamato like china.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
don't want to offend people with the name Yamato like china.

Then they can go watch a different show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Dear Lord, penguintruth. If someone was giving away free cupcakes, you're the kind of person who'd complain if they didn't have sprinkles on them. Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Dear Lord, penguintruth. If someone was giving away free cupcakes, you're the kind of person who'd complain if they didn't have sprinkles on them. Confused

Listen, I know how difficult this is for you to understand, but I'll try again.

The show is called Space Battleship Yamato. Because the (space battle)ship used in the show is called... wait for it... the Yamato!

If you have an issue with calling the ship by the name it was intended to have, perhaps you're the one with the bigger problem than me.

In no way does "Yamato" translate to "Argo". Those are entirely different words. One is the name of a ship that sunk in WWII that became a spaceship in this TV series. The other is a ship from Greek mythology that has zero to do with this show.

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the problem with wanting to be accurate, even at the expense of familiarity. And I'm talking about SUBTITLES, FFS. They can't even put "Yamato" in the subtitles?! When the character is clearly SAYING it?

The people who would be insulted by the use of "Yamato" are somehow okay with watching a Japanese cartoon? I don't follow that line of reasoning. It's not like the show is very pro-Imperial Japan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
You must have missed those scenes where they all yell DAI NIPPON TEIKOKU BANZAI! TENNO HEIKA BANZAI!

I think Americans, for the most part, have gotten over their WWII Japanophobia. I don't care what the Chinese think or feel, because we're discussing its release in Murrica. Come on, it'd be like changing the name of the Missouri in Under Siege because the Japanese surrender was signed on it and it might hurt someone's overly sensitive feelings. For Americans, you wouldn't even know that you were supposed to be "offended" by those two phrases up there unless you've read history. It doesn't carry a fraction of a hundredth of the weight any Nazi phraseology would.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
But movies dealing with Nazi are still made though and they're not censored either. I think this has to do with China's censorship laws; they want to get it in the country so they have to conform. This means they can't do a simple Chinese track, because the sub and dub will still be in the release. So expect both the subtitles and the dub to have Argo. Why can't they just make a Chinese subtitled version with the English subtitle and dub track removed and make a proper international release for the rest of the world?

Last edited by animefanworried on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It's times like these that make me glad that I bought the Japanese version.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
It's times like these that make me question the meaning of life. Mad
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
It's times like these that I wonder if they still make that shampoo I like.... Anime catgrin
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Been forever since I've been here. Smile

However, after watching all of the available SB 2199 episodes from the Blue Rays (with English Subs) I'd have to say that Voyager is making a huge mistake with the "Argo" nonsense.

The name "Yamato" is in English in nearly every episode, all over the ship, on the uniforms of the crew, and on most of the digital computer displays shown in the Show.
There is no way to get around this.
It would be silly to have the crew call the ship "Argo" is the damn thing has "Yamato" written in English all over it.
As many have said here, it was great for the original show back in 1979 and the early 80s, but we're not 10 years old anymore.
I'm 40, and I don't need to have Voyager hold my hand and change the names of the crew, the ship, or the Show.
I seriously hope they rethink this marketing ploy and just keep the show as it is.
The Japanese Blue-Ray release is awesome (but very Expensive, I paid $80 to $120.00 per BD off ebay direct from Japan).
I would like to see Voyager bring this show to all of world for a cheaper price, but with the same quality as what already exists.
I hope they scrap the "Starblazers 2199" and just stick with the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6