• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 #1's English Dub Shown at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

don't want to offend people with the name Yamato like china.

Then they can go watch a different show.

Not if they want China's monies like everyone else nowadays.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
guildmaster wrote:
My vote was still for Enterprise or maybe they could name it "Voyager"! Razz

Besides, last time I checked, you weren't the CEO of any of these companies.

Ah, yes, because one needs to be CEO to criticize unnecessary, insulting changes in a product they are passionate about.

The ship has a name. It's the Yamato. Period.

No, one only needs to be the CEO to actually have the authority to effect a change. This you obviously are not.

Whether any change is insulting or not is strictly a matter or personal opinion and we all know the value of opinions around here. Rolling Eyes

penguintruth wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Dear Lord, penguintruth. If someone was giving away free cupcakes, you're the kind of person who'd complain if they didn't have sprinkles on them. Confused

Listen, I know how difficult this is for you to understand, but I'll try again.

The show is called Space Battleship Yamato. Because the (space battle)ship used in the show is called... wait for it... the Yamato!

If you have an issue with calling the ship by the name it was intended to have, perhaps you're the one with the bigger problem than me.

In no way does "Yamato" translate to "Argo". Those are entirely different words. One is the name of a ship that sunk in WWII that became a spaceship in this TV series. The other is a ship from Greek mythology that has zero to do with this show.

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the problem with wanting to be accurate, even at the expense of familiarity. And I'm talking about SUBTITLES, FFS. They can't even put "Yamato" in the subtitles?! When the character is clearly SAYING it?

The people who would be insulted by the use of "Yamato" are somehow okay with watching a Japanese cartoon? I don't follow that line of reasoning. It's not like the show is very pro-Imperial Japan.

I think we all know who has the biggest problem with this. Razz

I personally don't care what they call it, as long as it has an English track.

And Johnny Yong Bosch on it would be a big plus IM(not so)HO. Cool
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
I personally don't care what they call it, as long as it has an English track

You're part of the problem. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
guildmaster wrote:
I personally don't care what they call it, as long as it has an English track

You're part of the problem. Razz

Only because you take everything to the extreme. Razz

And since when does my wanting an English track become part of the problem? I'm on record as refusing to buy anything that does not have an English dub track.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Wanting an English dub isn't the problem.

Being okay with inaccuracies just to get one is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wanting an English dub isn't the problem.

Being okay with inaccuracies just to get one is.

Inaccuracies on an anime - OMG, it's the end of the world.. Rolling Eyes

Whatever you do, do not ever study the Battle of Midway. I suspect you'll have a stroke in the first two hours.

Last edited by guildmaster on Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
The point is that we shouldn't just accept any English dub given to us just because it's in English and to hell with inaccuracies in the script.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The point is that we shouldn't just accept any English dub given to us just because it's in English and to hell with inaccuracies in the script.

Samurai Pizza Cats says hello.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, Tim Eldred posted this on the Cosmo DNA Facebook page July 21st in regard to the "Star Blazers 2199" dub. I gather the next Yamato report on ourstarblazers.com (due August 15th) will talk more about this too.

Quote:
News from Comicon: August Ragone and I (along with several hundred others) took in the dub of Yamato 2199 Episode 1 today (put on by dub studio Bang Zoom) and found it to be pretty OK. Not outstanding, but certainly passable. There are a couple odd pronunciation choices (oKEEta and GaMEElus) and an occasional term that goes bump, such as meteor bomb instead of planet bomb, but nothing on the level of "Argo." They also showed both of the promo videos from starblazers.com.

We got a chance to speak with a rep from Bang Zoom afterward and found out (A) there is no distribution deal in place yet and (B) only the first two episodes have been dubbed. They need a production partner in place before continuing. So at the moment, this seems to be as far as it goes.

The really good news is that this rep is very interested in continuing to communicate with me, and since the Bang Zoom studio is only 5 minutes from my home that should work out pretty well. So if anyone was feeling anxiety over this in any way, I think you can stand down for the time being.

Not much Yamato presence here other than that. A few model kits on display at a Bandai booth (none for sale) and some bootleg DVDs, which turn up every year.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Mispronunciations are annoying (and extremely avoidable, so extra annoying when they happen), but maybe this is a test run and not the final dub. It's weird, usually California studios are decent with pronouncing names. It's the Canadian studios you usually have to watch out for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6