• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madman acquires Gedo Senki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I hate America. Disney's rich as hell, can't they just buy out the rights from Sci-Fi?
mjgeo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Well thank god for Madman. Without them, us Aussies would have probably no more than a dozen anime titles to choose from.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
dude, WHAT THE HELL!? australia gets it BEFORE the US? why does america get stuff from Japan so freaking late? besides Europe, which is worse off than us, america really gets the short end of the stick when it comes to anime related stuff. plus we have a tendency to butcher the crap out of anime, so Studio Ghibli is pretty much waiting for Disney to take it instead of other companies. especially since they were told by Hayao to never edit his films. EVER. they wont even edit it for when its on TV.
Gawyn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
dude, WHAT THE HELL!? australia gets it BEFORE the US? why does america get stuff from Japan so freaking late? besides Europe, which is worse off than us, america really gets the short end of the stick when it comes to anime related stuff. plus we have a tendency to butcher the crap out of anime, so Studio Ghibli is pretty much waiting for Disney to take it instead of other companies. especially since they were told by Hayao to never edit his films. EVER. they wont even edit it for when its on TV.

How can you say that the US gets everything after anybody else. The US is usually the first English-speaking market for anime and the rest of the English speaking world gets it after the US, using the US dubs. The only reason for this release is due to a clause in the agreement made by Sci-fi disallowing any release of Earthsea related films in the US when they bought the rights a few years back. When their lease on that licence runs out in about 2009 the way will be paved for Disney to pick up the rights to the anime and dub and release it at their leisure.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Now if anybody can dub it, Madman can, unless there is some stipulation not to in the agreement. BTW where did this news come from, as I don't see it on the ANN news page?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Now if anybody can dub it, Madman can.

Except they won't, because the Ghibli brand here is big enough as it is and doesn't nessecerally need a dub to support it on each and every title, even Tales of Earthsea.

The Seventh Son wrote:
SIUGIEURGIUERGHIUE!!!!!@

Blame sci-fi and contract stipulations. Generally, more anime is released in America before Australia and the UK, and more anime is released uncut/not 'butchered' than it is cut. Yeah sure, a majority of exposure on TV is infact through edited anime, but a vast majority on DVD is, infact, uncut.

The reason that Ghibli has given Disney their catalouge isn't because other companies would edit them down completely, but rather because Disney actually has a much vaster, better distribution arm that most anime companies put together. That, and well, John Lasseter. Or something.

Also, yeah, Disney are pretty wealthy (or atleast sometimes they are), but that doesn't mean they can go and just pour money into whatever they want if the potential return might not meet or exceed what sci-fi demand (subsequently, sci-fi may simply reject all offers. If it's not for sale, then it realistically cannot be bought).
mjgeo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:

Oh please, Australia gets 99% of anime releases months later than the R1 release.

For instance, a new release right now is Naruto V3 - The Forest of Chakra. Coming soon is Fullmetal Alchemist V13 - Brotherhood.

Now without checking the R1 releases of those DVDs, I can still say for sure that you've had both available for months.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Now if anybody can dub it, Madman can, unless there is some stipulation not to in the agreement. BTW where did this news come from, as I don't see it on the ANN news page?

Madman can't dub it, because they don't have the capabilities to do dubs. I think there will be a UK sub only release on DVD by Optimum (have to verify that). The release by Madman will no doubt be sub only, and they will probably use the same subs as the UK release.

The news came from the ANN Australia page, which got it from an email sent out by Madman to members (have to verify again). However, I can't find any news about it on the Madman website. All the information seems to point back to an email that a member of the Madman forums posted announcing this.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
The likelihood is that there won't be a DVD release until late 2007, if at most until the Sci-Fi channel's rights expire. It may be a limited "collectors" release, with a full release (with dub) when the US dub is released.

This is, of course, if there is a US dub.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
At least it's making it's way outside of Japan. With any luck we'll be getting it sometime within the next two years or so.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
The likelihood is that there won't be a DVD release until late 2007, if at most until the Sci-Fi channel's rights expire.

Sci-Fi has exclusivity through December 2008.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Sydney2K wrote:
The likelihood is that there won't be a DVD release until late 2007, if at most until the Sci-Fi channel's rights expire.

Sci-Fi has exclusivity through December 2008.

I suppose they *could* be paid enough to agree to Ghibli's version being released earlier...

Slightly off-topic, Sci-Fi's live-action version is airing on Australian free-to-air TV this Friday night as a single show (Channel 7, 8:30 p.m.)
Psycho Sting

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
Madman Entertainmernt is the the anime lifeblood of Australia
without them WE wowould not have ANY anime downunder
I dont think madman will dubb tales of earthsea, but it would be great if they did
it be a huge leap for australian anime, it would be the first anime to have an Australian Dubb
it might not sound right with Australian accents
but we Aussies dont all sound like the late great Steve Irwin
Madman do have the capabilities to make a good dubb
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1