• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files Shareholders' Report on Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The voice actor for Bakura has been rumored to not have given approval.
Her Estate didn't give permission. Bakura's first Va died about half way though (she was on MS Gundam as I think Sayla) and was replaced by Ash's JP Voice actress.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the report, 4Kids stated that on March 27, it informed the two licensors that their letter of termination "did not comply with the 10 business day notice and cure provision" written in the agreement....

The report also said that 4Kids received a request for payment from TV Tokyo and NAS on March 4. 4Kids said that it made a US$1 million payment "as a show of good faith" in order to earn a March 18 meeting to resolve the claims in the audit. However, the licensors moved forward with the lawsuit filed on March 24....

Lawsuits like this usually don't come out of nowhere. I doubt TVT and NAS kept any intent a secret on March 18. March 18 to March 30 is more than 10 calendar days, though less than 10 business days. March 4 to March 30 is way more than 10 business days, although the threat of lawsuit and license termination probably wasn't mentioned then. Nobody breaks out the lawsuit card until the business relationship is already over.

If the lawsuit actually sees the inside of a courtroom, the contract between 4Kids and Funimation is material. It will be subpoenaed by TVT and NAS if 4Kids doesn't provide it freely. Plus if the court issues a subpoena to Funimation, Funimation is going to have to pick a way to testify that doesn't make it look like the co-conspirator TVT and NAS allege it is (without naming it in the suit).

Short version: There's going to be a lot of crap to go around.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Why would they have felt the need to give 1 mill in good faith, if they hadn't fudge the numbers. Also I agree that this will probably cause a ripple.

I do slightly disagree that they were only in it for money. Thats what a business is all about. Anyone who says different is lying. It just so happens that the market they were going for had the most potential.

I do find it weird though that they seem to have the run of kidie type shows. Hell there were at least three hentai dvd distributors. But I can only think of 4kids. How did that happen?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
4kids has a pretty weak case, but yeah, let them fight for their survival.

No to their survival as is. NOW, if they they come up with a new plan that ignores the past actions a/or someone else brings a fresh perspective to the company, then I might root for them.

Unfortunately, I see them filing for bankruptcy as a wankfest. Apparently, the US Bankruptcy System is extremely corrupt, if the Borders bankruptcy is proving to be.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Uncut releases? What uncut releases? As to why 5 years ago, that's when I still had an interest in any of their series.

Nearly 50 episodes of subbed Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's here, with a new episode weekly: http://toonzaki.com/yugioh-5ds

First two subtitled seasons of Sonic X, they're scheduled to begin uploading the third tomorrow: http://toonzaki.com/sonicx
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's time like this that I wish I knew more about business to understand what's really going on Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Either way, It's still disappointing to see even the most notorious licensors hit the bottom, especially since they've been trying so hard recently with streaming.
I have to ask though, if all this doesn't work out and they go under, what becomes of their spoiler[Saturday block? I mean, let's face it, if Toonzai goes off the air, you can pretty much kiss children's programming on network TV goodbye. It's not like Viz is willing to get their kids shows on TV.]
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I have to ask though, if all this doesn't work out and they go under, what becomes of their Saturday block? I mean, let's face it, if Toonzai goes off the air, you can pretty much kiss children's programming on network TV goodbye. It's not like Viz is willing to get their kids shows on TV.

I don't know why you used a spoiler warning. But it won't mean the end of children's programming. It just means that CW will simply have to find another supplier. Funimation perhaps? Although I would like to see more WB shows there.

And even if they do drop it there's still some shows on the other networks. Although I suspect they would like to keep some stuff there because it does attract an audience away from other networks.

However, it's stations like Cartoon Network that have been killing off Saturday morning for years. CW is the last holdout, and even that isn't very impressive. Almost the entire block is reruns. They just don't have the competition to assure decent programming. In effect, Saturday Morning is already dead.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
However, it's stations like Cartoon Network that have been killing off Saturday morning for years. CW is the last holdout, and even that isn't very impressive. Almost the entire block is reruns. They just don't have the competition to assure decent programming. In effect, Saturday Morning is already dead.

It's not only that, Federal Regs states that Local TV stations need to air a certain amount of Educational programming per week.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an early April's Fool, is it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
isoge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
chocoburger wrote:
You know, I'm really sick of people wanting 4Kids to go under.

There are two problems with losing for 4Kids:
1) We lose yet another American licensing company. Maybe they're not the best one out there, but their "lame" dubs (I like them enough) at least bring people into the fandom. And not a lot of anime gets licensed in the first place, and they're not some small, barely-known company, so losing them would have a ripple effect on the industry.

2) There are people who work for 4Kids who have nothing to do with "ruining" your precious anime. If the company goes under, they lose their paychecks, and that's not good news for anyone. Our economy is still bad, you know. It's kinda selfish being more interested in your entertainment than their quality of life. Someone said this in the last lawsuit post, and I'm going to echo it: How would like it if someone wished you'd lose your job?

I've said my piece. Many of you will disagree with me, and I don't care.

Agreed. Sure, they made mistakes, but I really hope they make it through this because I don't want to see ANY company in the anime industry going down, whether they be good or bad...
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
If the lawsuit actually sees the inside of a courtroom, the contract between 4Kids and Funimation is material. It will be subpoenaed by TVT and NAS if 4Kids doesn't provide it freely. Plus if the court issues a subpoena to Funimation, Funimation is going to have to pick a way to testify that doesn't make it look like the co-conspirator TVT and NAS allege it is (without naming it in the suit).
The complaint quotes the agreement in multiple places so they likely have a copy already. The "auditor noticed a oblique reference to 'Service fees'" and "demanded a copy."
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm personally hoping that 4Kids goes under as soon as possible. There is, in my opinion, no room in this sort of industry for those who abide by their practices. Until such offenders are weeded out, the anime industry in America will go nowhere good.

I agree this is interesting how will play how this will play out. I also really hope that 4kids goes under as soon as possible as well. Karma can either save your life (like it has for me in the past) or it can it be ultra vicious and unrelenting all at once. Frankly 4kids, considering what you've done in the past and present, you are about to reap what you sowed and I hope it's every bit unrelenting as your vastly over done edits.

Just remember 4kids, YOU alone brought on yourself. As a direct result for your actions and it will ultimately cost your entire business. And I truly do hope that does happen 100%.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Primus wrote:
Her Estate didn't give permission. Bakura's first Va died about half way though (she was on MS Gundam as I think Sayla) and was replaced by Ash's JP Voice actress.

You mean Maddie/Adam Blaustien right?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
chocoburger wrote:
You know, I'm really sick of people wanting 4Kids to go under.

There are two problems with losing for 4Kids:
1) We lose yet another American licensing company. Maybe they're not the best one out there, but their "lame" dubs (I like them enough) at least bring people into the fandom. And not a lot of anime gets licensed in the first place, and they're not some small, barely-known company, so losing them would have a ripple effect on the industry.

2) There are people who work for 4Kids who have nothing to do with "ruining" your precious anime. If the company goes under, they lose their paychecks, and that's not good news for anyone. Our economy is still bad, you know. It's kinda selfish being more interested in your entertainment than their quality of life. Someone said this in the last lawsuit post, and I'm going to echo it: How would like it if someone wished you'd lose your job?

I've said my piece. Many of you will disagree with me, and I don't care.

Look. I dont disagree with you about that cause I dont want to see those employers lose their jobs for the crappy decisions their CEO's did,and in the previous post I did give praise of them for treating Pokemon right cause their much better than the PUSA dubs, BUT they've done too much damage to the anime industry especially when it comes to the reputation of english dubs.

I said it once and I'll say it again, the sooner 4kids finally goes six feet under,the better. And hopefully Nelvava will join them too in the extinct list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I said it once and I'll say it again, the sooner 4kids finally goes six feet under,the better. And hopefully Nelvava will join them too in the extinct list.

[I really shouldn't reply to you, but man sometimes it's just so tempting]

Yeah, one of the world's largest children's media providers, who's parent has billions in the bank will close shop. Rolling Eyes I've never been too sure why you're so angry about Nelvana. They actually own most of the anime series they have via co-productions, and were a lot more open to releasing uncut versions of their properties than 4Kids was back in the day.

You're probably angry about Card Captors, but that was a decade ago. They allowed an uncut release, and the dub they produced wasn't as mangled as most in the US think it is (since the US broadcast dub actually has more edits than the international broadcast version). No one holds Funimation to the standards of practices they had back in the day.

Conan-san wrote:
Primus wrote:

Ah, I was under the impression it was the second voice actor causing the issue given 4Kids did stream the first chunk of Yu-Gi-Oh! at first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4