• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files Shareholders' Report on Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I said it once and I'll say it again, the sooner 4kids finally goes six feet under,the better. And hopefully Nelvava will join them too in the extinct list.

And I'll say it again, as Primus put it,
LEAVE NELVANA ALONE.

And next time, don't use the Cardcaptor argument; that's been played out.

Jeez, do people hate them that much? With merchandisers and networks to deal with, it's no wonder no one likes to license kids anime; it's such a pain in the ass!
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
First the economy. Then politics. And now, anime? Geez, what won't corporate greed taint? Laughing j/k

Nothing's been officially decided in this case yet, so casting early judgments may be a bit premature. It does look pretty bad for 4Kids where I'm sitting, though.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Jeez, do people hate them that much?!

Can't say I understand all the hatin' either, I don't remember 4Kids killing anyone's babies or anything, though they did kill my inner child with the One Piece dub. This is the Internet, too. Forums are like a laxative for our schadenfreude. Rolling Eyes

Sariachan wrote:
This isn't an early April's Fool, is it?

If so, then I'll be taking the red pill please! Cool
kazamatsuri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
You know it's funny. In more than 5 years, the following has happened with 4Kids:

- They lost the licensing rights to Pokemon and One Piece.
- They publicly reported a net loss of income in almost every 3-month quarter.
- They laid off 15% of their workforce by year end 2008.
- They publicly considered options such as a joint money market merger or a buyout of the company.
- The CEO (at the time) Alfred Kahn reportedly took a 20% pay cut.

Despite 4Kids' general display of incompetence in Dubbing Anime, their misguided philosophy of Americanization (if you can even call it that), and their shitty fan service, I actually felt sorry for them. After this, not anymore. Poor entertainment quality and controversial production values or one thing. Acts of criminal activity are completely different. I can't help but wonder if all those public reports of income loss were made up, or at least exaggerated (4Kids would have to feel at least somewhat strapped for cash if they felt compelled to do this). Don't you guys find it odd that these guys could lose so much money over 5 years, yet still have the funds to maintain control of network line-ups like Toonzai?

Innocent until proven guilty of course, but two foreign companies jointly filing a lawsuit after closely looking at their financial books does not bode well for 4Kids. And this latest response from the company only makes them look worse.

I do feel for the rank-and-file employees who had nothing to with any of the decisions made by the higher-ups. If 4Kids goes under, they will no doubt have to deal with the great inconvenience of being laid off. But justice has to be served here, whatever the outcome.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
It just seems that 4KIDS are only licensing anime that they know will make them lots of money and not caring about quality.

Oh my goodness, there are United States-based businesses out there that prioritize profits in a capitalistic manner? Surely you jest!
kazamatsuri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
LilyChan wrote:
It just seems that 4KIDS are only licensing anime that they know will make them lots of money and not caring about quality.

Oh my goodness, there are United States-based businesses out there that prioritize profits in a capitalistic manner? Surely you jest!

True, but there are laws on the books to keep things in balance and ensure that business affiliates and employees get a fair deal. These laws aren't perfect, but violating them, which is the question here, not only has an adverse effect on the company legally, but politically as well.
Manic_Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
kazamatsuri wrote:
. Don't you guys find it odd that these guys could lose so much money over 5 years, yet still have the funds to maintain control of network line-ups like Toonzai?

My guess is The CW is happy that someone was able to buy that time slot at any price considering the original reason CW bailed on Kids WB was advertisers bailing due to advertising restriction on what you can and can't advertise to kids.

That is my guess anyway.
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
kazamatsuri wrote:
Don't you guys find it odd that these guys could lose so much money over 5 years, yet still have the funds to maintain control of network line-ups like Toonzai?

You have no idea what their expenses are. And the economy in recent years has caused many companies to cut costs. Given the situation, your original points are not very "odd" at all. I don't know much about Toonzai, but I'm sure whatever station it's on wants to make money too. And we all know that licensing costs are HUGE. Especially for shows like the Dragonball series and YuGiOh.

I have no problem with companies wanting to make money, though when they don't even try to care about customers is sad.

It's saddening how many innocent people this will affect though because of a few people's selfishness. Best of luck to those who will be laid off and also best of luck to YuGiOh continuing in some form or another.

I really love though how the response with 4Kids completely ignores the actual problem, though there's probably a lawyer there somewhere saying, "Say -nothing-."
LilyChan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:

Business may be business but how can you make business if no one buys the finished product they don't like?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
LilyChan wrote:

Business may be business but how can you make business if no one buys the finished product they don't like?

Or doesn't make them in the first place?
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
What I'm curious about more than anything else is why FUNimation's name would even be appearing to begin with. Asside from helping 4Kids distribute the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs many years ago, FUNimation has no connection to Yu-Gi-Oh whatsoever........so why is their name even showing up in this lawsuit to begin with?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Because the deal to distribute said DVDs is part of the lawsuit. FUNimation isn't listed as a defendant, but they still have to be named as one of the parties involved in the deal that is involved in the lawsuit.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
... Asside from helping 4Kids distribute the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs many years ago, FUNimation has no connection to Yu-Gi-Oh whatsoever........so why is their name even showing up in this lawsuit to begin with?

Funimation paid 4Kids proceeds from the DVD sales. That's the money that 4Kids didn't report to TVT and NAS, by classifying it in their finances as something other than "royalties," to avoid paying them half.

TVT and NAS need to be as specific as possible (sort of like "beyond a reasonable doubt") to demonstrate they even have a case against 4Kids. If they just said, "We think 4Kids has some money, but we don't know how much or how they got it, and we think they owe us some," then the courts would say, "Get out of here and don't come back until you have something that doesn't waste our time." As it is, they've identified US$3.934 million that Funimation paid to 4Kids of which 4Kids owes them 50%.

Since this is a civil case and since only 4Kids owes money, only 4Kids is a defendant. Funimation might still be deposed or asked to testify, though. I doubt Funimation would face criminal charges on fraud as the co-conspirator TVT and NAS allege it is for two reasons.
1. This isn't Enron or Bernie Madoff. It's "only" a few million dollars between a couple corporations. No little old ladies lost their life savings. Therefore no prosecutors will spend their time bringing a criminal case.
2. If there is a criminal case, Funimation could make a deal for immunity to rat out 4Kids and say it was all 4Kids' idea, which it probably was, anyway.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I have to comment on this one facet that many people seem worried about.
The comment in the original article about a "secret" deal between 4Kids and Funimation. Everyone seems to be taking this as Funi knowing that the deal was being kept secret from TVT and NAS, when a distinct possibility (from the way I read it), is that TVT and NAS were saying the deal was kept a secret from them by 4Kids. If this is the case, then Funimation is completely in the clear, except for some poor word choices on the part of the lawsuit.
I highly doubt that Funi would have entered into a deal with 4Kids to distribute DVDs for them if they knew that 4Kids was going to screw over the licensors on royalties.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I said it once and I'll say it again, the sooner 4kids finally goes six feet under,the better. And hopefully Nelvava will join them too in the extinct list.

[I really shouldn't reply to you, but man sometimes it's just so tempting]

Yeah, one of the world's largest children's media providers, who's parent has billions in the bank will close shop. Rolling Eyes I've never been too sure why you're so angry about Nelvana. They actually own most of the anime series they have via co-productions, and were a lot more open to releasing uncut versions of their properties than 4Kids was back in the day.

You're probably angry about Card Captors, but that was a decade ago. They allowed an uncut release, and the dub they produced wasn't as mangled as most in the US think it is (since the US broadcast dub actually has more edits than the international broadcast version). No one holds Funimation to the standards of practices they had back in the day.

Which is the reason why Funi is more liked despite for some cases , they use english translated for their series ( Kiddy Grade , Case Closed , Fruit Basket ) and in some cases , compltely make the script completely loose ( Gunslinger Girl ) that unfortunately make some of the otakus cringe.

Also I know it's been 10 yrs , but there are a lot of people other than me that still dont trust them, and it's not just because of their destruction of Card Captors Sakura.

I though they changed after I watched the dubs of Bakugan Battle Brawlers and especially with Heavy Metal Beyblade (Beyblade Metal Fusion ) , BUT after actually just watching some of english sub versions of Heavy Metal Beyblade ,they unfortunately haven't changed their ways from the bad old days.

However your point is taken.

Since their a Caniadian CO & they are very large when it comes to children series, but when they are editing series that are clearing aint for their age demograph ( 7-12 ),the trust with anime fans goes out the window and they become no better than 4kids.

The same with 4kids after the destruction of some of their series even though it's many years now. I really really hope TV Tokyo and that other co sue the pants out of 4kids so they can finally remove the yugioh series from their clutches as well as the lawsuit will finally force 4kids to declare bankcruptcy and be put out of it's pathetic misery.

Last edited by jr240483 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RekaG{Osaka}

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Well said chocoburger.
Completely agree with you.
However, like all businesses, if the higher-ups have been trying to rip-off the license holder, which wouldn't shock me knowing their situation, then unfortunately the whole company of 4KIDS will feel the damages, including employees.
Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding though.
I know the Japanese can be rather stuborn since a large chunk of their profits can come from foreign export, so it could just be them looking for money they think they are owed but actually aren't...
Uhhhh...You know 4Kids has destroyed Fox's Saturday morning block and WB is barely existent right now. 4kids has and is destroying everything they re-brand with their brand and think they are making it fresh and revolutionizing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4