• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: January Shonen Jump Biggest Ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazuline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GINTAMA!!!!

銀魂!!!

Finally, the days of not being able to talk to people about Curry Ninjas and the ubiquitous nature of Elizabeth-エリスべス are at an end.

however...

I kind of doubt that this series will make it state-side without undergoing a lobotomy to localize (IMO: dull) the Japanese humor. Likely, VIZ will convert these colloquialisms into their American "equivalent" ala "English teacher becomes a Spanish teacher" and the like. As far as violence/sexual content, the manga doesn't have any... so we need not worry about evil evil censorship =P. (Luckly, a lot of the funnier scenes in the manga are sight-gags that can't be ruined by translation =P)

My only gripe:
The dialogue might get reworked into the Saturday morning cartoon "re-enforce moral values"/"power of friendship" as the target audience for the manga is a more immature/innocent/stupid American youth.

But as for me I’ll stick to my non-adulterated Japanese volumes... 7 was a letdown but 8 made me a gintaholic once more....
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Dammit, why can't they just start printing it bi-monthly? 2-3 chapters a month is unbearable.

Zac wrote:

I think you mean "bi-weekly" and you get roughly the same amount of content the Japanese get on a month-to-month basis.

Actually, what Yashouzoid wrote is correct.

One of the beautiful stupidities of the English Language is that "every two" and "twice every" are both termed "bi".

Bi-monthly means both "Twice a month" and "every two months."

The magazine trade, having a bit of a brain*, settled at some point on the fact that "Bi Monthly" would only be every two months. But that limited, more defined usage, is limited only to the magazine industry.

*Having more of a brain they would have settled on a term that wouldn't be confusing to outsiders... given that the reaers/buyers are outsiders.

-t
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Manga magazines in japan have poor paper quality because they are disposable, and so they can be mass produced more easily and sold alot more cheaper so alot more can be sold. I mean, otherwise what would the point in buying the graphic novels be?

I like the sound of the Gintama business, I had no idea what it was when I read that news update, but looked it up and found scanlations. After reading chapter one, I already like it. ^^

Personally, I hate VIZ's Shonen Jump and couldnt care less what goes on in it, though.

And as for the comments on Winking Samurai, for god's sake, it sounds like you haven't flamed someone for so long you just HAD to take the first chance you got or something! Who cares if he exaggerated? People do it all the time! How many times does someone say 'Argh there is chocolate ALL over your face!' when there is only a smudge around your mouth?
Sorry. I just think that whole flame was really offensive to Winking Samurai.
Number Six

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:
Dammit, why can't they just start printing it bi-monthly? 2-3 chapters a month is unbearable.

Zac wrote:

I think you mean "bi-weekly" and you get roughly the same amount of content the Japanese get on a month-to-month basis.

Actually, what Yashouzoid wrote is correct.

One of the beautiful stupidities of the English Language is that "every two" and "twice every" are both termed "bi".

Bi-monthly means both "Twice a month" and "every two months."

The magazine trade, having a bit of a brain*, settled at some point on the fact that "Bi Monthly" would only be every two months. But that limited, more defined usage, is limited only to the magazine industry.

*Having more of a brain they would have settled on a term that wouldn't be confusing to outsiders... given that the reaers/buyers are outsiders.

-t

Here is dictionary.com's take on it:
dictionary.com wrote:
Bimonthly and biweekly mean “once every two months” and “once every two weeks.” For “twice a month” and “twice a week,” the words semimonthly and semiweekly should be used. Since there is a great deal of confusion over the distinction, a writer is well advised to substitute expressions like every two months or twice a month where possible. However, each noun form has only one sense in the publishing world. Thus, a bimonthly is published every two months, and a biweekly every two weeks.
primehunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to see less lame articles and more manga in SJ.

Also, I figured the new, "slim" magazine was to make way for a (possible) biweekly publication of Shonen Jump. I remember reading an article before the 1st issue came out in the States, and the editor of Shonen Jump USA said that after year three, if all goes well, he'd like to turn SJ into a weekly or biweekly here. That's a bit of a long shot though. Confused
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
How much is SJ in America? Because it's relatively cheap in japan, people can afford to buy it every week. I'm imagining that not all americans will be able to afford buying it EVERY week unless they dropped the price, which presents a host of annoying difficulties and also makes it easier for everyone to miss out on an issue.
(I personally still think bringing such a magazine to the english speaking world was a bad idea in the first place due to this. For one thing, they could just release the graphic novels once every two months and everyone could get their fix alot quicker....)
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
How much is SJ in America? Because it's relatively cheap in japan, people can afford to buy it every week. I'm imagining that not all americans will be able to afford buying it EVERY week unless they dropped the price, which presents a host of annoying difficulties and also makes it easier for everyone to miss out on an issue.
(I personally still think bringing such a magazine to the english speaking world was a bad idea in the first place due to this. For one thing, they could just release the graphic novels once every two months and everyone could get their fix alot quicker....)

The magazine retails at $4.99. I forget how much it is in Japan. 290 yen? Someone care to correct me?

I can't see a weekly American Jump being bad at all to be honest. They could host more series that would give people waiting on new volumes of a series something to enjoy every week instead of once every two/three months. I think it could help increase subscriptions so some don't miss out, and it could help increase graphic novel sales from series someone likes but missed a chapter on.

Or it could all backfire.

While I would like it, a weekly may be a bit extreme, I think, considering the monthly edition isn't selling better than expected. Bi-weekly sounds perfect though, and even keeping the same lineup, the graphic novels release rate would still be increased on just that.

--

And I know it's been discussed before, I think, but could this move to preview series to gauge interest, have anything to do with a possible localization of Jump Superstars?

I know people say it's impossible because of where rights lie, but since the rights with the game lie on the manga, and Viz has the rights to every single Shonen Jump manga, except maybe Slam Dunk, it can't be too complicated, can it? Maybe I just want Jump Superstars in English... Anime smallmouth
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
championferret wrote:

The magazine retails at $4.99.

$4.99 every two weeks would be very affordable when you consider that weekly publications like TV Guide are $2.95 a week. Of course, TV Guide has a bigger circulation than Shonen Jump ever will, but I could see parents being willing to drop $10 a month to give their kids something to read and I doubt older fans would complain about a second issue every week, I wouldn't.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I would pick it up again if it was bi-weekly. I stopped reading it because the pace was too slow and I'd much rather spend that money on the graphic novels themselves.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
but I could see parents being willing to drop $10 a month to give their kids something to read

And then find out that it's not suitable for kids, right?
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, $4.99's not bad. I thought it was like, $10 for some reason. Probably cos it's like around $15 in Australia.
About Jump Superstars is a shame. I dont think VIZ will ever license EVERY SJ manga. For example, there is a famous one in japan they once said would never be licensed (the one whose name I cant read due to my sub-par kanji abilities...it has 138+ volumes though and the name starts with 'this is...' or something) because it is so laden with japanese jokes it just wouldnt make any sense to anyone non-japanese. I dont know if they would release the game in english if it contains characters people wont know?
Then there's the whole 'licensors nightmare' scenario.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Oh, $4.99's not bad. I thought it was like, $10 for some reason. Probably cos it's like around $15 in Australia.
About Jump Superstars is a shame. I don't think VIZ will ever license EVERY SJ manga. For example, there is a famous one in japan they once said would never be licensed (the one whose name I can't read due to my sub-par kanji abilities...it has 138+ volumes though and the name starts with 'this is...' or something) because it is so laden with japanese jokes it just wouldnt make any sense to anyone non-japanese. I don't know if they would release the game in english if it contains characters people wont know?
Then there's the whole 'licensors nightmare' scenario.

I don't think they'll license every SJ manga, but they have the rights to them all. I don't think Shueisha is going to give them to anyone else. Although, if Kochikame (series you refer to) ever gets a preview chapter in the American Jump, I will not only be shocked, but then expect Jump Superstars to come out. Why else would they bother exposing a 150 volume Japanese series to Americans?

Their current run of 20/27 titles for Superstars is pretty good though. Series like Buso Renkin, that got canned, are going to be the hardest to give exposure.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Emerje wrote:
but I could see parents being willing to drop $10 a month to give their kids something to read

And then find out that it's not suitable for kids, right?

You're kidding right? It IS a kids magazine, it is "Boys" Jump after all, not "Mens" Jump. It has a pretty clear "T" rating right on the cover (and I consider anyone under 18 a kid, especially those who aren't old enough to work and would still have their parents providing for them). So yeah, it's suitable for kids.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
Although 'Ichigo 100%' is most certainly not, yet comes from the same magazine as Naruto.
If VIZ put that in, the soccer mums will have a field day.

Although soccer mums have a field day over anything, which I think was what they were actually referring to.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Although 'Ichigo 100%' is most certainly not, yet comes from the same magazine as Naruto.
If VIZ put that in, the soccer mums will have a field day.

Although soccer mums have a field day over anything, which I think was what they were actually referring to.

Viz knows what they're doing. They ran about twenty pages of I"s in Shonen Jump, heavily altered with gigantic sound effects to cover up everything, and I can't recall any outbursts in response to that preview. It's that Ichigo 100% would never get a serialization in the magazine outside of an edited preview. Of course, no "Advanced" title would get a serialization either to avoid things like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3