• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: January Shonen Jump Biggest Ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai wrote:
About freaking time we get a decent-sized issue again!

The latest issues have been about half the size they used to be.
I think they've been quite close to normal in page count recently, although they have been using thinner paper for a few months now. I personally like the thinner paper more, because it takes up much less space.
Izlude wrote:
Now if they could just increase all of their current series chapters by +1 or +2 every issue.
I think Shojo Beat needs that one a little more than Shonen Jump. It costs a buck more to buy at the bookstore, and is so much thinner. It was 260+ pages for issue three, and I swear it wasn't even a centimeter wide. But I do agree that even one more chapter would be really nice, because I think I'm seeing a bit more ads. Or maybe its just that the ads don't interest me like they used to. Now if they'd just kick out a few of those ads and stick in 20 more pages of manga...Now I'll have to keep a chapters per issue count instead. A one to two chapter per title increase would be excellent, but I doubt that VIZ is going to stick and extra 140 pages in SJ anytime soon.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It isnt as much as an issue with SB because the series in there are on average only around 10 volumes long.
However, the majoity of SJ titles run for over 30 volumes. I dont know WHO wants to wait that many years for all the volumes, especially considering they've only released up to volume 8 of One Piece when they're on (correct me if I'm wrong, as I probably am) 40 in japan.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is way...past 40 in Japan. I personally take this as bad news, as I'd like to see something new in SJ before I die. Actually, I'm surprised that even with reading three chapters of One Piece, monthly, I'm not really bored by it. I fund YGO to get a bit dull at times after the hundreth chapter. I'm so glad they skipped a whole arc, it'll save us a year and a half of serialization.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
If One Piece goes past the 50 mark, and VIZ release 3 books a year, that's alooooooot of years in waiting. I wonder if it's ever going to occur to them. Rolling Eyes
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Although I can definitely see that we're getting a bit off topic, I wonder why VIZ decided not to serialize the entire YGO manga. My guess is that it dropped in popularity. Did Dragonball get yanked because of a drop in popularity too, or was there a stated reason?

Anyway, I'd like to see future issues with more manga, and less of those video game ads. A few is okay, but I swear I saw at least ten.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
No, it's because they know that YGO isn't going to be popular forever, and publishing the series in monthly graphic novels would be more in their interest. And even at the current rate it will take them until the end of next year just to finish the final arc in serialization, and then after that would imagine that they'd want to start publishing the sequel YGO R manga series ASAP.

In the case of DBZ, I'm still baffled by the fact that they didn't replace it with anything. Bo^7 would be an ideal choice since, ya know... it's airing on TV and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3