• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gackt in Dirge of Cerebus

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately as for all other FF realeases, they'll probably have dub only in the game and change the music to English. Looks like Gackt fans will have to get the import.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Unfortunately as for all other FF realeases, they'll probably have dub only in the game and change the music to English. Looks like Gackt fans will have to get the import.

Sometimes I wish there was an option where you could choose to listen to the Japanese voices. Honestly, Square-Enix isn't that great when it comes to choosing voices here in America. Musashi: Samurai Legend made me was to sob quietly.Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

But... Crying or Very sad I pray the english voices to these characters are good. FFX's voices were okay, but I think once I heard Tidus' voice and Yuna's, I would rather hear nails scraping themselves onto a chalkboard.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Sometimes I wish there was an option where you could choose to listen to the Japanese voices.

Some companies actually do include that option in their game. Square-Enix just isn't one of them.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Sometimes I wish there was an option where you could choose to listen to the Japanese voices.

Some companies actually do include that option in their game. Square-Enix just isn't one of them.

Gah, that sucks. >< and I heard that Tidus' Japanese voice is done by the voice actor who does Ichigo's from Bleach in Japan. But noooo, we get the whiney, annoying Tidus. Mad
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Heh, we don't even know if this game is coming to the USA yet. I'm sure it will...with the whole FF7 and AC craze and all...but... then again...it's not like were getting that FF7 Before Crisis or whatever mobile game or the Last Order OVA (which IMHO stole the show from AC).

Who knows, maybe Gacky can speak english too for the role? =3

Or better yet, get Micheal Jackson! His voice is Gacky's equal!
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Heh, we don't even know if this game is coming to the USA yet. I'm sure it will...with the whole FF7 and AC craze and all...but... then again...it's not like were getting that FF7 Before Crisis or whatever mobile game or the Last Order OVA (which IMHO stole the show from AC).

Who knows, maybe Gacky can speak english too for the role? =3

Or better yet, get Micheal Jackson! His voice is Gacky's equal!

Laughing Micheal Jackson, nice. If that were the case, I think I would severly be ..... scarred for awhile. Anime hyper But, you know he won't.

Anyways, DoC is coming to the states. The only reason Before Crisis can't, at the moment, is because it can only work on the FOMA P900iV in Japan. S-E stated though that if there were a cell phone here in the States (or anywhere else, for that matter) that had the capabilities of the FOMA, then it would come here. We are, however, getting the FFVII Snowboarding mini game for the cell phone. Anime smile + sweatdrop let's just hope it's more entertaining than the ever-boring InuYasha game made for the cell.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

.hack had an option for Japanese with English subtitles for all 4 games in the story. Definately gave it even more of an anime feel for me, despite the somewhat dated graphics.

Why aren't more companies giving the option for the original Japanese? Games like Tales of Symphonia could have definately benefitted from the original voices. Or at least stop bragging about hiring professional actors and then having one of them be the person who voices Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls! *cringe*
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

.hack had an option for Japanese with English subtitles for all 4 games in the story. Definately gave it even more of an anime feel for me, despite the somewhat dated graphics.

Why aren't more companies giving the option for the original Japanese? Games like Tales of Symphonia could have definately benefitted from the original voices. Or at least stop bragging about hiring professional actors and then having one of them be the person who voices Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls! *cringe*

If only the idea would cross other companies minds... *sighs* I mean, come on! Having Jimmy Neutron's voice be the voice of Musashi! o_O!! I really, really can't get over that. I almost stopped playing the game when I heard it, it was god aweful...

but the game wasn't that great either... Confused

But the Bubbles voice, in my opinion, really fitted Rikku's in FFX and X-2. Maybe because Rikku had a bubbly personality?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

If only the idea would cross other companies minds... *sighs* I mean, come on! Having Jimmy Neutron's voice be the voice of Musashi! o_O!! I really, really can't get over that. I almost stopped playing the game when I heard it, it was god aweful...

but the game wasn't that great either... Confused

But the Bubbles voice, in my opinion, really fitted Rikku's in FFX and X-2. Maybe because Rikku had a bubbly personality?

Well, I actually happen to like Tara Strong's (Bubbles) voice. Her voice as Rikku was great imo. And I loved TOS. You almost stopped playing it when you heard that Jimmy Neutron did a voice?... he doesn't even talk at all.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

but the game wasn't that great either... Confused I literally was all "o_O!! what the!?" when I heard it.

Well, I actually happen to like Tara Strong's (Bubbles) voice. Her voice as Rikku was great imo. And I loved TOS. You almost stopped playing it when you heard that Jimmy Neutron did a voice?... he doesn't even talk at all.

In the Musashi: Samurai Legend video game S-E released last February. Confused http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/musashisamurailegend/media.html

Anyways, to clear the confusion, here's what his voice sounds like. When you go to this link, be sure to click "Cut Scene", which is the last listed. That one gives you an example of how his voice sounds.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh sorry, thought you were talking about the dog (or whatever, I forgot his name) in TOS. Jimmy Neutron does the voice of it too. So he does a voice in another game? Never played that one.

Edit: The character I thought you were talking about was Noishe from TOS. Musashi, Noishe they both sound the same, heh heh.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Oh sorry, thought you were talking about the dog (or whatever, I forgot his name) in TOS. Jimmy Neutron does the voice of it too. So he does a voice in another game? Never played that one.

Edit: The character I thought you were talking about was Noishe from TOS. Musashi, Noishe they both sound the same, heh heh.
Anime hyper that's okay. I forgot to put the game thingy beside the name in that post, so I can easily understand why it was confused. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Becki_Kurosaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Gah, that sucks. >< and I heard that Tidus' Japanese voice is done by the voice actor who does Ichigo's from Bleach in Japan. But noooo, we get the whiney, annoying Tidus. Mad

Yup. Tidus = Ichigo = Masakazu Morita, which is why I really want the Japanese version of FFX, because I'm a huge fan of Bleach, especially Ichigo. Anime smile Not to mention that FFX is one of my favorite video games of all time. *_*
I agree that they could've picked a much better English voice for Tidus, though. X_x

As for this new FF game, I really hope that when/if the English version is released here, it has both English and Japanese voices. Otherwise, I'll have to get the import version and a Japanese game console for it, and I probably won't understand most of what everyone is saying anyway, since I only know very little Japanese. O_o
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Becki_Kurosaki wrote:
Quote:

Yup. Tidus = Ichigo = Masakazu Morita, which is why I really want the Japanese version of FFX, because I'm a huge fan of Bleach, especially Ichigo. Anime smile Not to mention that FFX is one of my favorite video games of all time. *_*
I agree that they could've picked a much better English voice for Tidus, though. X_x

As for this new FF game, I really hope that when/if the English version is released here, it has both English and Japanese voices. Otherwise, I'll have to get the import version and a Japanese game console for it, and I probably won't understand most of what everyone is saying anyway, since I only know very little Japanese. O_o

o.o commitment. If I knew Japanese, I seriously would've just gotten all the Final mix's and what not of the S-E games by now Anime dazed.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Necros wrote:
Why aren't more companies giving the option for the original Japanese?

Because there isnt always enough room left over to include them. ToS being a GameCube game, the GC discs can hold I think 1.5 gigs, thats enough for the english dialogue at most.

The DragonBall Z Budokai games were barely a gig each, but the Budokai 3 re-release for PS2 will include both english+japanese audio, and I've seen the ISO for it going around and it was roughly 3 gigs. Budokai Tenkaichi that was recently released also includes both english and japanese (voices only, not the japanese bgm, guess it cant handle two different music tracks).

So unless consoles change to a higher capacity format or start having multi-disk games (like the in PSone days), or even dual layered discs, I don't see alot of high-end games (especially rpgs) including both language tracks, unless its 2D like Nippon Ichi's games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3