• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Silver Spoon (TV) (both Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

I'm still not a fan of this Ayame girl yet. She definitely has her presence in the show but nothing really outstanding sticks out to me about her. I'm glad Hachiken is doing better after overworking though.

As far Aki and Hachiken's relationship, I wonder how far that will progress later on in this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Glad to finally get a little insight into Hachi's family life. He owes his mom an apology though. He shouldn't take his frustration with his dad out on her just because she lets him.

Great episode though!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

*sniffle*
There were some pretty down moments in this episode, after Hachiken had become exhausted physically he was hit with things emotionally. You really can't blame him for becoming that upset from the circumstances that he would take some frustration out on his mother and make decisions that lead him to walking back to the school by the time the festival closed. Seems normal that at times you can feel that you are alone, that no one cares about you, that maybe you were lying to yourself.

Which is why the end of the episode was so great in that it was showing that they did really care, like the fact that everyone stayed is that they wanted to make the most out of his hard work. I could really feel Hachiken's kind of tearfully happy, and I was happy to watch the ED to just get the feels back to a smile.

Maybe it had something to do that we can all feel a bit like Hachiken at times, but things may only look bad for a little while.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

Well, that was sure a kick in the head. Anime cry
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Wow, that's a lot of feels this episode but managing a business is never easy. They should of saw that coming at some point. On another note, I want to eat some spoiler[cheese] later tomorrow after watching the episode.

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8

When they were all talking about the fact that they spoiler[do not go hungry] I was actually thinking about how spoiler[running those sort of businesses can actually be rather hard financially]. And then we find out that not only was Komba down from not making it further in baseball, but spoiler[he was quitting school because the family debt had gotten too large]. And since Mikage's family spoiler[co-signed for the loan, if his family ended up bankrupt the debt would go to] her family.

It is all easy to say that spoiler[he should stay in school], but the facts paint the situation as very complex. A part of me actually does not want spoiler[an easy way out so that there is some sort of message about financial difficulties of the business], but the other part wants spoiler[him back and everything solved happily].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean. Smile And it's not just spoiler[losing his dream,] it's the shame of everyone knowing about it. I imagine that might be even more acute in Japan.

We know Hachi won't sit still for this though. I'm expecting him to spoiler[bite the bullet and try to arrange something through his father to help them, which will then open the door to us finding out just what all his issues are at home.]

spoiler[Do we know what his father does for a living? I just have a vague sense he's a businessman of some sort, but I can't remember if I just imagined him being a banker or stockbroker or something financial like that. I can think of a number of ways Hachi could help if his father can/will financially back him, that don't involve simply paying off the debt,] which would be the wrong way out of this and something I don't see happening.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
This part in the manga already had me wibbling and even knowing what was to come, this episode still made me tear up. Arakawa sensei's stories are so amazing. ;__;
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

We know Hachi won't sit still for this though. I'm expecting him to spoiler[bite the bullet and try to arrange something through his father to help them, which will then open the door to us finding out just what all his issues are at home.]

I hope not, much of the appeal of the show for me is the realism, and to counteract that realism with a deus ex machina solution would hurt the credibility a bit. The amount of money involved isn't something that could be so easily fixed.

I suppose it's because this hits really close to home for me, so I don't want to see it trifled away with a spoiler["city slicker teenager can save a farm that experienced farmers were unable to save!"] sort of activity. I think, much like with Pork Bowl, it would be best for Hachiken to realize there's so much you can do but much more you cannot change.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I suppose it's because this hits really close to home for me, so I don't want to see it trifled away with a spoiler["city slicker teenager can save a farm that experienced farmers were unable to save!"] sort of activity.

I can't imagine this series doing something so heavy handed as that, and what I was thinking isn't. I have the impression (and if I'm wrong, then the point is moot) that spoiler[Hachi's father has some considerable bank. It's not money he would give away, but if he could be convinced there was profit in it, he might buy out the loan and give the family another year to realize Komaba's original plan.]

Whether or not that happens (I still kind of expect him to ask, if only so we can see more of the father-son interaction), it's not a question of spoiler["experienced farmers couldn't save it." The father's death put them in a bad situation that no amount of experience could overcome.] If someone outside the community is in a position to help, I don't see how that puts them in a bad light.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Actually, they already know a personspoiler[ who could possibly help if they could convince her it'd be profitable. Tamako. In the least I figure she'll be instrumental in a plan to save the farm or at least keep them working and out of debt. She did mention something no one paid attention to at the time: "You're not considering joint management?"]

I think the show will go for thespoiler[ "we'll fix it with the help of our friends" route, not the "Hachiken needs to ask his dad for help" route. Hachiken needs to prove to his father that he made the right choice and can accomplish things in his school. I also see his relationship problems to be a much bigger issue, one that outlasts this current season/arc. If Hachiken's father plays any role I don't think it will be a decisive one.]

If there's anyone Hachiken needs to reach out to first, spoiler[it's his brother, not his father. And just think how that could help. Komaba farms really needs a helping hand... who do we know who is currently jobless and probably willing to help out those in need?]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I could see you being right on every one of those possibilities!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Such Sadness
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice, the series revisits its prominent theme of following dreams again. I'm rooting for Mikage there.

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
This was so painful to watch. I give kudos to Arakawa for spoiler[taking a realistic approach even if it's hard and heartbreaking]. Now I'm at least hoping thatspoiler[ Mikage will be able to do something about her dream]. Beautifully painful episode. I loved seeing spoiler[Hachiken toughing it out and coming so close to the reality of farmlife, yet being able to stand by their friends, even if that hurts him more.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12