• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Beta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
I just logged in and went to the forum, but I got

Quote:
Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

XID: 464865759

Varnish cache server

Have you taken it down, or is this a "bug"?
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Quote:

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

Varnish cache server

Have you taken it down, or is this a "bug"?

Same here. This is only with the beta though. Usually what a 503 error means that it is "closed for repair" meaning that the ISP cant locate but and it is being fixed as i type this. I wont go into specifics but this probably isn't a bug and something just temporary. Though oddly the forums work fine not using the beta site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Quote:

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

Varnish cache server

There was an incident Saturday between 00:00 and 14:00, and the subscriber server as well as large swathes of the beta site were down. Sorry for the trouble, but as jsc315 said it was temporary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Will the My Anime database be linked to My Anime 2 when it goes active?

It won't be "linked" exactly. There's a way to import your My Anime 1 data into My Anime 2. It seem we forgot to add that link somewhere... gotta fix that Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

But the import is one-way. Once you start adding stuff in My Anime 2 it won't show up in My Anime 1. And you can do the import several times, but it will overwrite anything you added/modified in My Anime 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
To everyone complaining about the sidebar in the forum

What is the size of your screen? There was a bug where the sidebar would crowd out the forum on small screens. I just fixed that, so things might look a little better.

But that still leaves the sidebar and white space on large monitors. That's due to the text width being limited to ~100 characters. I'm planning to make it user-configurable like this:
Quote:
Text Width
☑ natural (research shows that 100 characters per line is the optimal length for reading speed...)
☐ wide (...but some people prefer content to fill the screen, regardless of research)
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
My screen is 1920x1080, at minimum.

On my phone... uh... dunno. It's a Galaxy S2.

I would prefer wider > taller.

That research is bunk.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
That research is bunk.

That may be the case, but currently it's the best we've got. So if you want longer lines to be the default, go ahead and find me some research that demonstrates longer lines are best for readability. It will then be my pleasure to increase the default line length.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I added the "text width" setting under My ANN > Account settings. I hope that solves the most frequently mentioned complaint in this thread.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Ok, I added the "text width" setting under My ANN > Account settings. I hope that solves the most frequently mentioned complaint in this thread.

First, it doesn't seem to be working. I click "Save" and then taken to a "ANN is temporarily unavailable" page, leaving the default setting.

Second, I didn't appreciate the condescending retort regarding the "research" in the option.

I sit here wondering why we should bother expressing our opinions regarding the new site change.

Ever since the first design iteration was rolled out (almost a year ago), every design has been called out for its readability approach. From over-sized images to being much too compact to be read, Now, with this iteration, the feedback is too much space, which is dismissed with "research".

I said it was "bunk" because no one research can be applied to every site. White space has more affect on readability than character width, and this falls in line with the challenge of Fixed or Fluid design. Yes, there is such a thing as too much white space.

Users have stated readability is being greatly affected, yet every design attempt to correct it seems to be taking steps backward, rather than forward.

When I test the new designs offered us, I start with typing "death note" in the search bar, which takes me to the results page. I "grade" the results listings, then click "Death Note (TV)", which takes me to the Encyclopedia page.

If you're going to try and convince me this page is better to read under the new design because of research, we're now at a position of me vehemently disagreeing with this bunk research.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
First, I fixed the bug. It was working when I initially made the change, but a subsequent update broke it. Embarassed

Second, I apologize if you felt there was anything condescending in there. It certainly wasn't my intention. I just wanted to communicate to users that there's a proper reason why we're limiting text width; it's not just to piss off people. I've changed the wording, is it better?

We haven't dismissed any feedback, on the contrary it's because of feedback that we added this option to increase text width.

You keep saying you "disagree" with this "bunk" research, but the thing about research is that it's not some opinion to agree or disagree with; it's based on experiments, facts. Obviously not everyone will fit into the majority mold, and it seems to me you're part of that minority who prefers long lines. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's why we added the option. But like I said before, if you want to convince me that the majority prefer long lines, you better back that with some solid research of your own, not mere "disagreeing". You see what I mean?

For the record, I also don't like very much all the white this creates on my large monitor. But IMHO it's much better than having really long lines. I would sonner fix this by changing the sides to a color/background other than white.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
You're approaching the issue the wrong way. I mean, the option of double width is cool, especially since it gets rid of the sidebar, but it's not all about text width. The problem with the new layout is that it's not centered like the current one. There's teeny tiny amounts of whitespace on the left while there's shit tons of white space on the right even when in double. You center the forums and all that white space looks smaller. Just look at the difference:

I think centering the forums would go a long way in making it look better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

well, it's centered with Firefox, Chrome and IE10. There seems to be a bug with Opera.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
well, it's centered with Firefox, Chrome and IE10. There seems to be a bug with Opera.

It is also centered for me in Firefox 23 on Windows 7, but that is with the sidebar.
How do you remove the sidebar? I still do not have that option in my account settings.
The "double" and "triple" text widths are exactly the same for me. That may be because of my monitor, which is 17" widescreen set at a resolution of 1600x900.

Also, I cannot change skins in the beta. When I select a skin nothing happens, but when I go back to the regular site it has the skin that I selected on the beta site.
Is that normal, for now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The sidebar will drop below the content when the content takes enough space. There will also be an option to always drop the sidebar in the near future.

This is how it looks for me with double width at 1600px

And with triple width at 1600px

And yeah, skins don't work in the beta.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The sidebar will drop below the content when the content takes enough space.

OK. It is working for me now and looks just like your screen shots.
My problem was that I was just looking at the forum index after I changed the settings. I did not realize that the index pages display differently, probably because of the different widths of the table cells.

The pages with the posts do display properly. I had not been actually reading the posts on the beta site because they do not get marked read on the regular site when I do that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8