• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Beta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Default forum width @ 1980x1020
Option 2
Option 3

Death Note enc page - all options return the same width

Key's Arata review - default (wall of text! Evil or Very Mad)
Option 2
Option 3

I removed the sidebar via ElementBlocker to emulate a disabled option.

Option 2, in my opinion, is the best format, except for the encylopedia page, which appears to be confined to the default setting (Dan may not have gotten to this page yet).

Option 2 pretty much emulates the current layout, just polished. It's cleaner and looks nice. A few of the actual pages could use a touch up, but the new design looks better to me because I can't turn off the sidebar of the current design despite having an option to turn off a sidebar (still haven't figured out what it turns off).

My bunk comment is based on my opinion the default option is shoving the content into the new shell, rather than the new shell working with the content.

I posted my research above to debunk the one constricting the new design. Hope it helps. Razz

If you don't like the design based on the research you're using, why in the world would you think we would.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
If you don't like the design based on the research you're using, why in the world would you think we would.

Dan42 did not say that he does not like the design. He said that he did not like the space on the side being white, and that could be fixed by using a different color or a background image. Actually, this might not be an issue after the skins start working.

He also said that even with the space being white it was still better than having very long lines, and I agree with that.
If there are not more than 4 or 5 lines between paragraph breaks then the long lines are usually not a problem for me. But more lines than that without a break makes it difficult to find the beginning of the next line because I tend to lose my place when my eyes move back to the left of the page.
I think that the research that Dan42 referred to was about this issue, and not the appearance of the page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Dan42 did not say that he does not like the design. He said that he did not like the space on the side being white, and that could be fixed by using a different color or a background image. Actually, this might not be an issue after the skins start working.

To me, it's the same thing. I'm glad Dan said it, though. If his reaction isn't favoring research, there's validity in why research is "bunk" when it's being applied.

I've done another screen shot: Review, Default, w/Sidebar.

That view is where research plays its part. Though, not so much research as it is the design, which is a faux two-column approach, and seems to be the choice of every iteration presented to us in the last year.

I guess it's because it's so common.

Readability gets affected in this design. When my eyes move to the right of the article, the sidebar encroaches the readability.

I just want to express my feedback the ability to disable the sidebar and the readability work together. Not trying to step on toes or make demands.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Mesonoxian Eve on this. Cramped up like that the page is as ugly as home grown sin. Aside from appearance we will have to scroll forever to read stuff.

I get the impression that those of us who use computers to access the site are being sacrificed to make things better for the users of mobile apps.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Yea, there's definitely a bug with Opera. I looked at it through Firefox, and pretty much every complaint I've had is a non-issue on Firefox. Everything is centered, but another big difference is how the side bar vanishes from Opera, but stars on FF despite having the same settings (110 zoom):

If you can get Opera on the same page as the other browsers, the only problem I'll really have is all the white, which I will change when skins work. I hated the sidebar when the new design was introduced because it was double width and wasn't locked, but those could've also been bugs produced by Opera. I don't mind the sidebar at all now since it's not there when I'm actually trying to read a thread. But at least I was right when I said centering everything would make a huge difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I get the impression that those of us who use computers to access the site are being sacrificed to make things better for the users of mobile apps.

Well, this isn't working then, because on my S2, this design is not suitable for the phone.

In profile, the menu bar wraps to three rows, but in landscape, it rolls into two. The sidebar does get shaved off, but the encyclopedia page requires scrolling in both angles.

I'll hit the site for testing, but once it's rolled out, I'll wait for the app to hit the site via mobile.

Wait. I guess I should be asking: is there an app in the works for ANN?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Shocked

well, it's centered with Firefox, Chrome and IE10. There seems to be a bug with Opera.

Given that Opera is abandoning Presto for WebKit, it might soon become academic - unless that is from the WebKit version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Due to some maintenance on mayu, the beta will be offline for the night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Touma wrote:
When I switched from the regular site to the beta, just now, all of the posts in the forums were marked as having been read.

EDIT: It looks like posts are no longer being marked read when I leave the site. So if that is what you are talking about then it has been fixed. It might have been fixed a while ago and I never noticed because I usually do read or mark read all of the posts before I leave the site.
It is just when I switch to the beta site that the posts are marked read.

The site has always done that when changing domains unfortunately - if you log into the UK site and then the US site, the forums will all be marked as read.
Same if you log into to different computers, close the browser or just don't click on anything on the site for a while (go away and do something else, come back and everything is marked read).
It seems to work out what you have and haven't read based on the time between your current and last session (marking threads as read individually only within your current session as you open them). If you log back in due to your session expiring or changing domain then the counter is reset.

I just uploaded a fix for that. After you visit once, the site will leave a cookie to say when you visited, and for the second visit onward you'll be able to switch between beta and the regular site without posts being marked as read.

It should also work if you switch between the .com, .au and .uk domains (except if you use Firefox which has a weird notion of third party cookies)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
What gives? The beta's down!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
It seems an internal error caused our servers to reboot several times (!!!) thus being unavailable between 18:43-18:48, 18:58-19:03, 19:11-19:21, 21:07-21:12 (EST) on saturday. I'm working on mitigating that kind of problem in the future. Sorry for the trouble.
Dr. Z0mg PhD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
As much as I'd love to use the new My Anime 2, it'd take me quite sometime to migrate my lists, so I'd prefer either an option to transfer or upgrade my anime and manga lists, unless these issues on My Anime 2 are resolved, like the text box hiding behind all the other nav bars and ads.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It's too white. I don't get why every time any given site gets a redesign, it always becomes more white.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to agree there - this isn't Apple, not everything has to be white(personally, I find blue to be far, far more pleasing).

Also, the sidebar area at the bottom of the forums is ridiculously huge - can we at least get an option to kill the pictures? As it stands they do nothing but slow my browser down and make scrolling less convenient.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
I like the new design over all.

My only suggestion is to have a toggle for the side bar. I like it at a glance, but it would be nice to be able to collapse it so I can get more news articles on the screen. The less scrolling the better in my opinion.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8