• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman Crowds (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Gel will be dangerous in his new position. So he is just going to give people everything they already, I could see that as possibly destroying an economy. What if mass thinking turns to something horrible? What if no one wants to pay taxes? Will he do everything to give people cushy lives and just borrow money from overseas? We recently have had trouble as Greece's economy was having problem, meeting short term wants instead of long term goals make Japan crash and have a huge impact on economies around the world.

Gel might think he is helping, but he could cause a depression if he is not being told what he might do.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I am quite impressed by this series. I heard some interesting things so watched the first season and caught up with the second in the last three days. Ultimately there is no one correct way to manage the world. I always thought that death, war and destruction are what keep humans on their toes, we are sluggish has a race as it is. I sort of fit in the Hajime/Jou camp.

If I would give an argument to everything presented is that everyone is looking at evolution in human terms. They have disconnected, and we have in reality, social and psychical evolution. We used to adapt to our environment, but as we have controlled that (well, we think we have) then we are trying to adapt to each other, usually in the same form of control. Instead of working with the environment to adapt, in the same vein, we do not work with others, instead we control them. Like nature, humans can bite.

This will eventually be our undoing. We should look forward, if we want to leave anything for this planet it will be to show the next sentient race our mistakes so they can make better decisions.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

It was an alright episode. Although I don't trust Gel-chan, he does show responsibility and seems to be a role model for the younger audience on the outside. This whole election arc seems to be taking its time to develop further with the recent events too.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
@ Stark700
I think your post is about World Trigger, not Gatchaman Crowds.

Season 2, Episode 6

Well Gel is not too stupid, he knows that he has to balance things, but there is a kind of scary part. Gel's actions of getting everyone to think the same is actually kind of creepy, inhuman. He got rid of the diet members and now has a crowd join him in making decisions, I would be a bit worried that some people will have no idea what they are deciding. Also had the thought about not seeing what Gel is thinking. And would people be too reliant on him?

Oh, an interesting cameo, I saw the back of the cast of Tsuritama.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
It is an interesting episode. The fact is Gel has satisfied peoples common desires, something in reality politicans always make, then break, promises on. This show can go a couple of ways, the most obvious being there is a lack of money to support the system, which usually means more taxes or lower wages, which people revolt against. I like how he said no military actions would be taken but as he can absord peoples thoughts can he project them into others as well.

Secondly this, creepy, factor could come into play, whereby we find out Gels inner thoughts. Has I always thought about Hajime, to be able to always look on the bright side, you will have to understand the 'dark side' of human nature very well.

A third option, though unlikely in the show would happen in real life, is that other countries see what Gel is doing and want the same kind of leadership in their countries, ending up in oppression to maintain control. In the real world Gel would have never even been given the opportunity to run for PM due to the impacts around the rest of the world.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

One step forward, and that is one huge step backwards and towards danger. And even Gel has limits, and it looks like it will cause trouble. And newsflash, even Katze is afraid of Gel. Tsubasa also seems kind of, dangerous maybe, her unity talk and forcing Hajime's gesture into the Gel salute. Actually it has done wonders to combat my worries from early on that Tsubasa was too similar to Hajime where it has shown a clear difference to Hajime's style of understanding through differences.

The whole "I don't understand complex things" is kind of starting to annoy me, actually it is the sort of thing I usually get a bit annoyed because my automatic response is "then try to understand". When something does not match your train of thought, if you do not want to stay ignorant on such manners then it is important to listen to others and understand "why" it is so, otherwise you are just trying to force yourself onto them.

Actually, wasn't the first season all about people sitting down to talk things out? At first it kind of feels like a step in the same direction, but there having one person decide and lead the discussion is a problem.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
Well I was way out. I focused too much on the realism of the situation. So, spoiler[we are looking at a twisted manifestation of peoples thoughts and emotions caused by the expelled emotions Gel was keeping within himself?]. Could not have predicted that, so given the critters have different colours, does that represent emotional instability? No idea yet. Agree with DP, anyone who makes decisions all by themselves is still a dictator.

You know, Tsubasa reminds me of the 'social justice warriors' concept whereby everyone has to have the same opinion and which has led to our 'take offence' culture in the west. Not sure how it is in the East but our society has changed a lot over the last few decades but an element of that is the lack of varying viewpoints has we lean towards liberal sensibilities where we use 'moral high ground' to denouce other viewpoints.

Maybe that is just me though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
You know, Tsubasa reminds me of the 'social justice warriors' concept whereby everyone has to have the same opinion and which has led to our 'take offence' culture in the west. Not sure how it is in the East but our society has changed a lot over the last few decades but an element of that is the lack of varying viewpoints has we lean towards liberal sensibilities where we use 'moral high ground' to denouce other viewpoints.

I really do not like the "person who cares about social justice" thing that goes around on the internet. More specifically I hate how it is used like a title to give to anyone who wants to talk about a topic that there may be an issue. I have found myself being labelled as such when I want to discus there being an inequality, it certainly is not out of thinking everyone should think the same way but to share points of view in a fairly. Nothing comes from being ignorant of what others experience.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
12skippy21 wrote:

I really do not like the "person I disagree with politically" thing that goes around on the internet. More specifically I hate how it is used like a title to give to anyone who wants to talk about a topic that there may be an issue. I have found myself being labelled as such when I want to discus there being an inequality, it certainly is not out of thinking everyone should think the same way but to share points of view in a fairly. Nothing comes from being ignorant of what others experience.

Agreed. I am on the more liberal spectrum while my parents are most conservative, yet the amount of people I have have met who have assumed what people think and catergorised them as left/right wing based on one comment is crazy (on both playing fields), it should be about debate and discussion between the different parties, Tsubasa has removed that. She is almost saying that varying opinions are simply a fad people will grow out of.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
12skippy21 wrote:

I really do not like the "person I disagree with politically" thing that goes around on the internet. More specifically I hate how it is used like a title to give to anyone who wants to talk about a topic that there may be an issue. I have found myself being labelled as such when I want to discus there being an inequality, it certainly is not out of thinking everyone should think the same way but to share points of view in a fairly. Nothing comes from being ignorant of what others experience.

Agreed. I am on the more liberal spectrum while my parents are most conservative, yet the amount of people I have have met who have assumed what people think and catergorised them as left/right wing based on one comment is crazy (on both playing fields), it should be about debate and discussion between the different parties, Tsubasa has removed that. She is almost saying that varying opinions are simply a fad people will grow out of.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
This show seems much deeper than silly posturing about "social justice warriors." It's exploring the fascist tendencies in Japanese culture itself, particularly the pressures toward conformity and blind acceptance of the leader. These themes have appeared in other shows of late like Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco. Still Gatchaman is the most political show I've watched in a very long time, and the one most influenced by events since the Abe government took power.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Wait, was my post edited? I would swear I did not write "person I disagree with", but actually something different. Am I going crazy with thinking I wrote something else?

Maybe it is like one of those things I read about where you accidentally go into another universe and it is only a lingering memory that proves it. Okay, I am going crazy then.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wait, was my post edited? I would swear I did not write "person I disagree with", but actually something different. Am I going crazy with thinking I wrote something else?

It's a filter that replaces an acronym with that phrase.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
It's a filter that replaces an acronym with that phrase.

Time to test the filters out with naughty words.
fudge
Shonen Jump Weekly

I can't figure out any others. This is not going to get me reported is it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
So after episode 7 it seems like the show is turning into a study and criticism of the origins of imperialist thought and practice, though whether it's a strawman seems a little harder to parse. The passivity of the population and faith in the moral integrity of Gel has turned into the tyranny of Gel's ideas made manifest as the literally separated wills of everyone who put him in power.

I imagine the thought creatures will now start enforcing laws that go against the individual wills of the population, and we'll have a literally embodied collective vs individual will thing and an easy slide into "Hajime was right all along". If the show tries to act like those creatures are manifestations of the dissenting perspectives of the individuals which were repressed by political hype it'll be a much cheaper move though.

I think if the idea is that Gel has gained a perspective that isn't relevant to anyone in particular by synthesizing the opinions of everyone, and that those creatures are a manifestation of that perspective, the show will be very thematically powerful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12