• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira ending (minor spoilers)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Saw akira for the first time 2 days ago and loved it. I'm now reading the manga. However, the end of the anime was kind of weird. Questions-> spoiler[Why did his arm gush out and all, and he started deforming? Where did he go? Did everyone in tokyo die? and what exactly is akira?]
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... since you're currently reading the manga, I think almost all of the questions you asked will eventually be cleared up, and I don't really want to spoil the manga story for you. And there are some big differences between the manga and the anime as well. spoiler[For instance, the character "Akira" never actually shows up in the film, save flashbacks and his remains, but he does appear in the manga.] For now, I'll point you to the Wikipedia explanation for the film, and I'm sure other posters here will have their own interpretations of the bizarre ending as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:24 am Reply with quote
There was another thread about two weeks agao talking about akira and the ending. I can't seem to find it but it's somewhere here in the anime section. You should be able to get some of your answers from there. Akira the movie is a very debateable film and I hate to go back and talk it about it all over again but my explaination is on that original thread...you can find it if you want or have some other people answer it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
There is a search button on the forum functions toolbar. And to the original poster I will also urge you to pick up the (out of print I think) much better manga version.
Here is the thread-
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18147&highlight=akira
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
There is a search button on the forum functions toolbar. And to the original poster I will also urge you to pick up the (out of print I think) much better manga version.
Here is the thread-
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18147&highlight=akira

I don't know if it's out print but I can tell you I still see the manga in stores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
I've seen it in stores too, but after a volume is sold in my area, it is never replaced and some of the volumes on the shelf are starting to show age.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
I've seen it in stores too, but after a volume is sold in my area, it is never replaced and some of the volumes on the shelf are starting to show age.

Now that I think of it so were the ones at the store I go to (Barnes and Nobles and another store in the mall I can't think of). But they were showing age as well. The covers look like they were starting to bend and looked as if it had been thrown around a couple times. Maybe one day they'll be up there for a while and go onto a discounted damaged books or something like that and i can get it cheaper lol. I never read the manga version because they were kind of expensive for me now and then. Hopefully, one day I'll have a chance to read them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1