• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Movies on Turner Classics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i believe they do. AMC does it.

Eh, AMC used to. But lately the last few times I've tuned in they've been running rather frequent commercial breaks, and I'm fairly certain I noticed a few edits, as well.

TCM are still good, though. I just saw something on there last week that ran totally intact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Very nice news. Always interesting to see subbed anime on TV. This format means everyone, dub and sub fan alike, wins. I wish this were more common. Thanks TCM. Cool

Here, here! Cool I'm definitely looking forward to this. The only Miyazaki movie I saw was Howl's Moving Castle last summer, so this will be a great opportunity for me to check out more of this great man's work.
jamal507

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
bebop26 wrote:
This is great! I never seen Princess Mononoke, so I'll finally be able to see it. It will also be interesting to see Spirited Away in Japanese. Will it be subtitled? Very Happy

they will be showing both sub'd and dub'd few hours later
fosterjd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
Not in Canada? What is the deal with that? Oh well, at least I own most of Ghiblis releases already, and all of Miyazakis creations Very Happy
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad that Studio Ghibli films are being aired on Turner Classic Movies and even more glad that they're airing both the dubbed and subbbed versions. I wonder if I should try and tape Whisper Of The Heart and Only Yesterday or if I should just wait for the DVD releases. I have one question about this. Why aren't they showing Kiki's Delivery Service?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
What a coincidence, our Film4 a PPV movie channel run by the UK's Channel 4 is also running a Studio Ghibli season all this month. Last Saturday they did Princess Mononoke, Next Saturday is The Little Norse Prince which is great because most of Studio Ghibli's catalogue hasn't been released here as yet.
Neal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

I just went through the schedule out of curiosity, and it seems that while in Canada they won't be airing the movies that are supposed to be showing the first Thursday (i.e. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away) they will still show the remaining seven movies. In the Canadian schedule, check the 12th, 19th, and 26th; it seems those movies are there, but the ones that are airing on the 5th in America aren't.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, let's just remember that TCM is owned by Turner Broadcasting (who in turn is owned by Time Warner) the same people who own the Cartoon Network, and who knows just how far TOON's now confirmed stupidity has spread to the other Turner (and Time Warner*) networks.

What I'm trying to say is, there had better not be any whining or complaining if the movies in question don't turn out to be as "uncut" or "uncensored" as you thought/hoped they would (this includes any inconsequential editing such as swearing, though it IS unlikely that most of the movies will have any, but still). Whatever happens, just remember that they are available on DVD.

And with that, I am looking forward to TCM's salute to both "Sutadio Jiiburi", and "Miyazaki, Hayao-san".

*When the WB showed The Wizard of Oz, they gave a notice that the movie was "formatted to fit this screen" even though it came out before the days of CinemaScope (1939), AND after the "The End" title, they went to a commercial break BEFORE showing the cast of characters.
imaramman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I would be pretty shocked to see any editing done to these films considering I have seen movies with nudity on TCM on multiple occasions. It's the only channel that I will watch films on TV because there are no edits or commercials. Anime smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Well, let's just remember that TCM is owned by Turner Broadcasting (who in turn is owned by Time Warner) the same people who own the Cartoon Network, and who knows just how far TOON's now confirmed stupidity has spread to the other Turner (and Time Warner*) networks.

What I'm trying to say is, there had better not be any whining or complaining if the movies in question don't turn out to be as "uncut" or "uncensored" as you thought/hoped they would (this includes any inconsequential editing such as swearing, though it IS unlikely that most of the movies will have any, but still). Whatever happens, just remember that they are available on DVD.

And with that, I am looking forward to TCM's salute to both "Sutadio Jiiburi", and "Miyazaki, Hayao-san".

*When the WB showed The Wizard of Oz, they gave a notice that the movie was "formatted to fit this screen" even though it came out before the days of CinemaScope (1939), AND after the "The End" title, they went to a commercial break BEFORE showing the cast of characters.
Cutting up end credits isn't so bad as long as they don't cut up the original content. I don't think they will do that. If there is any objectionable content they can always put up the usual disclaimer as to it's rating and they are covered.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
MadSadCrying or Very sad This is really dissapointing i really wanted too see Miyazaki's classiscas (I have seen PM and SA) plus the only reason i wanted this stupud watse of a channel is because of the anime movies. P.S. i am sadden for all the anime fans in canada who where loking towards this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
red stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
It's highlighting his career, so they're also throwing in movies he had less of a hand in. Executive Producer is one of the lead positions in a project.
But Executive Producers usually don't have anything to do with the creative aspects of the film. In Hollywood films an Executive Producers often has very little to do with the film at all.

If they were really trying to highlight Miyazaki's work, as a opposed to just showing everything that Disney currently has ready to air, then where's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro? He actually directed and wrote that, rather than just "excutive produced".

Aslso, regarding edits: Isn't it part of the Ghibli/Disney deal that the movies remain unedited? So I doubt that there will be any edits in these showings...
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
People, the films aren't going to be edited. Not on TCM. They'll be shown in widescreen and everything.

Neal wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

I just went through the schedule out of curiosity, and it seems that while in Canada they won't be airing the movies that are supposed to be showing the first Thursday (i.e. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away) they will still show the remaining seven movies. In the Canadian schedule, check the 12th, 19th, and 26th; it seems those movies are there, but the ones that are airing on the 5th in America aren't.

That was changed, because those films weren't listed yesterday. I wonder if tempest brought this to their attention? Anime hyper
fosterjd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yay, it turns out that the only scheduling flaw was with this thursday (the 5th). The others seem to be correct for the next couple thursdays.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:
If they were really trying to highlight Miyazaki's work, as a opposed to just showing everything that Disney currently has ready to air, then where's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro? He actually directed and wrote that, rather than just "excutive produced".

They're highlighting the movies he worked on for Studio Ghibli, and Ghibli didn't release any "Lupin San-sei" movies.

red Stranger wrote:
Also, regarding edits: Isn't it part of the Ghibli/Disney deal that the movies remain unedited? So I doubt that there will be any edits in these showings...

It's part of the deal for theatrical releases and home video releases between those two companies, but not necessarily for the films being televised by third-party (read: rival) TV channels. Obviously, Turner broadcasting had nothing to do with the initial deal made by Ghibli and Disney.

In any case, I'll say it again. There better not be any whining/complaining even for teeny-tiny edits. I'm serious. I imagine that TCM/Turner Broadcasting/Time Warner went throught a lot to get these movies shown on TV even for just this one time, and if people start whining and complaining just because the broadcast of the films wasn't "perfect", then it might be unlikely that they'll ever show these, or any other such movies again.

One way or another though, it's really going to come down to when the movies are actually shown. Seriously, we REALLY can't speculate on/assume anything.

With this in mind, I sincerely hope that you all will enjoy TCM's salute to Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli work. I know I will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4