• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowrobot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone watched Genshiken? If so what are your opinions on that anime....I'm debating on getting it but I'm not to sure. I want to make a worthy purchase this time. Question Razz
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I recommend getting Genshiken to any anime fan. You kind of have to have a knowledge of Japanese Otaku to get a lot of it though, but if you don't it still great to watch if you like anime because most likely you will find someone you can relate to. I have to say Genshiken is a must-get for any anime fan. I absolutely love it, its probably one of my top 10 favorite actually.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the first few volumes of the Manga, but thought it was really good. A lot of "in jokes" and sort of stereotypes that are really funny.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It's life's many lessons through anime, gaming and hentai...

what could be better?
fargazer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken is a great show for

• new anime fans
  • non geeks married to otaku or geeks
  • anime veterans

People who are already anime fans, but still new to it, get the attitude and approach, if not some of the more arcane points. Non geeks who hang near the otaku subculture and anime veterans appreciate the details a bit more (such as my wife *grin*).

It reminds me a lot of the film Trekkies, which also takes a peek at a social subculture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
Bosque

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote
i recommend Genshiken.
I enjoyed it a lot. You, as a fan, may feel represeted in the different characters. It may be funny, disturbing or anything to see people doing the same as you, it's also nice to see that you're not the only anime-crazy guy in the world. The main thing in Genshiken are the characters, really powerful and full of "otakuness", they always reminds me the fantastic "Tatakae Otaking" song, the eternal fight of otaku defending themselves for liking hentai and other topics could be seen in Genshiken.
If you like this title, i can also recommend the "otaku bible" (at least here we call it like that) Otaku no Video, it's about a group of otakus too but you can know the reality of them in the past, how were things back in the 90's.

SOrry for my english.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
Genshiken is a great show for
Non geeks who hang near the otaku subculture and anime veterans appreciate the details a bit more

Gotta agree with that. Much of the comedy revolves around Sakaki who is the outsider dropped among hardcore otakus. So she is constantly told what's going on. Which in turn ensures viewers are never really left out of the loop. Sure, they are unlikely to pick up all the obscure references but that never prevented people from enjoying shows like The Simpsons. As long as the humor works on many levels, it's fine.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
Although I watch most anime by myself I make it a point to watch Genshiken in a room filled with friends. There are so many points where we all point to someone in the room and yell out their name. The characters are all into different aspects of fandom, so there is hopefully at least one of them you can relate with. I find it a bit scary that I most identify with Madarame. I also really like how the series, like Azumanga, covers a good amount of time as the school semisters pass. Oddly enough the liner notes for DVD 1 are actually included in DVD 2.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:27 am Reply with quote
I have lived Genshiken back in the early 90s, tho it was a mix of that and Otaku no Video. Unfortunatly our group didn't become a famous animation studio with a theme park Sad. At least I can say that I was part of the first US doujinshi cirlces Rolling Eyes Wink.

But yeah if you are into Otaku Culture (tm), Genshiken is right up your alley.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Although I watch most anime by myself I make it a point to watch Genshiken in a room filled with friends. There are so many points where we all point to someone in the room and yell out their name. The characters are all into different aspects of fandom, so there is hopefully at least one of them you can relate with. I find it a bit scary that I most identify with Madarame. I also really like how the series, like Azumanga, covers a good amount of time as the school semisters pass. Oddly enough the liner notes for DVD 1 are actually included in DVD 2.

haha, i've never seen genshiken myself, but when i lent my azumanga daioh manga to my friends we always pointed to each other because we could really relate to them
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the fansubs, and I don't know if I have ever wanted a series to continue as much as this one. I mention the fansubs because the ones I got had explanations of all the series and other otaku references sprinkled throughout the series. I don't know if the licensed material contains these or not. As someone still somewhat new to anime, it helped add to the atmosphere of the show to know what they were referring to, even if it wasn't strictly necessary to enjoy the show.
I think that otaku are pretty much like Trekkers in the US, and anyone who enjoys things somewhat out of the mainstream can relate to the characters. The writing is also superb in how it portrays the members, both otaku and others, and explains why they get so involved in the culture. Myself, I liked to construct plastic models growing up, and there is an ep. dedicated to that, too, which I can relate to in regards to my family.

Btw, was the series originally planned for only 12 eps, or was it indeed cancelled early, as stated in one of the ep previews?
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
I mention the fansubs because the ones I got had explanations of all the series and other otaku references sprinkled throughout the series. I don't know if the licensed material contains these or not.

The official release does contain linear notes that explain the various references through out the seires, however, these notes are only on an insert inside the DVDs instead of actually being on the screen when you watch them. Personally, I wish MB had handled it more like ADV did with some of their series, Abenbashi for example, and just had an option for cultural notes to be displayed on the screen as you watch
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
The OVA and the sequel are direct follow-ups to the original series so there shouldn't be a problem if we talk about them all on this thread. Also because there hasn't been much talk about it on this forum.

Since the anime is extremely loyal to the manga, I prefer the latter. Besides being cheaper, the lack of action just fits better on paper.

I really don't think this is a series for any anime fan as some mentioned. It is for those interested in the whole subculture surrounding anime and manga and that definitely doesn't describe all otakus. It was very "educational" for me because I hadn't seen such a close approach to cosplay and especially to fujoshi. There are lots of characters out there who enjoy costume play and reading yaoi but I don't remember them being portrayed in a more realistic perspective like Ohno and Ogiue.

Definitely a good suggestion for Comic Party fans.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Oh NO! When someone mentions Genshiken the fangirl of Viga comes out to scream!

Genshiken is an awesome show and manga series. It's our generations Otaku no Video. It shows each of the sections of fandom and has a person that in every anime fan group of friends. (I'm female Madarame if anything. Except cuter!) It is good to watch in a group for all those comedic moments. Those moments sure are plentiful!

The character development is great, the style in first and second season was awesome. The animation was well done. The music is nice and the endings really make me think of my buds at my college since we are a genshiken! Oh mans! Fangirl alert!

The manga is great too and the anime sticks to it cloesly. The manga however have stories that the anime omitted and in season two they changed some things. Some for the best since season two aded a lot more that made the stories better. Plus the manga is finished in America so you can read the rest where season 2 left off. Also in the manga you can see the artistic progression of Kio Shimoku. Vol 1 looks way diferent than volume 5 and from vol. 9. Awesome!

I love Genshiken!!!! YAY!

/end fangirlism Very Happy

Also if you like Genshiken than I recommend I,Otaku, Comic Party, Aoi House and Otaku no Video.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Since the anime is extremely loyal to the manga, I prefer the latter. Besides being cheaper, the lack of action just fits better on paper.

While manga is capable to present most of its spirits, the anime is particularly rewarding for homo ga kirai na joshi nanka imasen!!!! (ホモが嫌いな女子なんかいません!!!!) by Ayako Kawasumi. I even keep that sentence in my cell phone, ready for fujoshi convention. Twisted Evil Furthermore, only anime can give us spoiler[wet kisses] between the frequent screen couple Ayako Kawasumi and Tomokazu Seki in Genshiken 2 ep 4 (since Kawasumi doesn't take spoiler[adult title] roles -- not even with pseudonyms -- it is very rare to listen to her performance in this manner), the spoiler[complete BL] ep 5 with Ogiue's heavy accent, and spoiler[Ogiue as a fantasy object] in ep 6 (a payback to what she had done in ep 5, isn't it?), plus the usually handsome Akira Ishida becoming a complete annoying a-hole as Kucchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2