• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Flower Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Bamboo and I clearly have different taste in anime.
And I don't understand how people love Chihayafuru unless you understand the game. It is a tournament anime.

This is BS. Not only is Karuta insanely easy to understand, Hikaru no Go is a lot more tournament focused and the game itself is a lot harder to understand, and yet it's an amazingly beautiful anime. If the writers are good enough, even if the game is incomprehensible, the anime can be fantastic.

That being said, I abandoned Chihaya because my favorite character, Taichi, kept getting the shit treatment over and over, and the rest of the show didn't make up for the frustration that caused me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
That being said, I abandoned Chihaya because my favorite character, Taichi, kept getting the shit treatment over and over, and the rest of the show didn't make up for the frustration that caused me.

This is hilarious. You know that Taichi spoiler[won the Inter-high Class B individual tournament and is now Class A along with Chihaya and Arata] right? He actually spoiler[never lost a single match throughout both the team and individual tournaments.]

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:06 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
The thing about Taichi is he is his own worst enemy, both in love and in karuta. I think he's actually quite well-written.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
If Taichi had been shit over I may have actually finished season 2.

God I can't [expletive] stand Taichi.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
diadumenian wrote:
I can't let another Stream go by without commenting on Space Brothers. The core characters and story are good, but there are elements that often make the show difficult to watch:

Side characters - A bunch of them are unbearable. Apo, with the googly eyes and jerky movements, is creepy. Space Director Nasuda is supposed to be either smart or funny, but is annoying. Jennifer's shtick wears on you fast. Mom, rejected candidates, Pico... lots of misses IMO.
Music - Same starting background music EVERY time (ba-bum-BAAA, ba-bum-ba-bum-ba-BAAAAA) over and over and over. The opening and ending songs are usually poor, nothing like the openings/closings of Gintama or Sket Dance.
Pacing - Most arcs take waayy too long. Things got suspenseful around episode 39, but the moon rescue arc took abut 5 episodes to play out? You knew what was going to happen, get on with it please!

I'm sticking with it but no way it's top 3.

Fair enough, and you're undeniably right about the pacing and repetitiveness of the BGM, but I love the side characters and most of the opening and ending themes. They make me feel so moon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

This is hilarious. You know that Taichi spoiler[won the Inter-high Class B individual tournament and is now Class A along with Chihaya and Arata] right? He actually spoiler[never lost a single match throughout both the team and individual tournaments.]

Fair enough, I'll rephrase that, then. I didn't even start watching season 2 because I got sick of how Taichi got the shit treatment all over season 1; plus the comments I read here and from another friend who watched it made me lose total interest in it. Kind of how my hating of Nisemonogatari turned me off from watching all further Monogatari series; my frustration over Chihaya S1 killed my desire to ever watch any other season
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Bamboo and I clearly have different taste in anime.
And I don't understand how people love Chihayafuru unless you understand the game. It is a tournament anime.

This is BS. Not only is Karuta insanely easy to understand, Hikaru no Go is a lot more tournament focused and the game itself is a lot harder to understand, and yet it's an amazingly beautiful anime. If the writers are good enough, even if the game is incomprehensible, the anime can be fantastic.

that's BS Go is much easier to learn than Karuta. Almost anybody can learn the basic in less than an hour. Go try that with Karuta.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
that's BS Go is much easier to learn than Karuta. Almost anybody can learn the basic in less than an hour. Go try that with Karuta.

Karuta
Card deck with 100 cards each card has the last verse of one of 100 poems. Each player gets 25 of the cards. Players lay-out their 25 cards. Reader reads the beginning of the poem, player must match the correct ending. Player who grabs the most (correct) cards wins.

There's nuance beyond that (passing cards, what happens when you grab the wrong one), but really that's all you need to know to follow the game. I'd say this makes karuta MUCH simpler than Go, you can learn the "basics" of karuta in 5 mins. The fact that a PLAYER needs to KNOW the 100 poems to play well does not make it difficult to UNDERSTAND, it just makes it difficult to PLAY.
Megiddo wrote:
You know that Taichi spoiler[won the Inter-high Class B individual tournament and is now Class A along with Chihaya and Arata] right? He actually spoiler[never lost a single match throughout both the team and individual tournaments.]

To be fair, it's pretty clear that spoiler[Taichi would quit the game immediately right now if Chihaya did. Taichi several times questions how much he really cares about the game, so one could argue that his victories don't "matter", especially if Chihaya doesn't acknowledge them (and she doesn't really, except in the context of thinking it makes HER look bad, in episode 25, contrast that with the fact that she obviously can't help but pay attention to Arata's victory)]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Karuta
Card deck with 100 cards each card has the last verse of one of 100 poems. Each player gets 25 of the cards. Players lay-out their 25 cards. Reader reads the beginning of the poem, player must match the correct ending. Player who grabs the most (correct) cards wins.

Then you clearly doesn't know how to play Karuta. The player who don't have any card on his/her side wins. You can win without getting the most cards. I think you can win without grabbing any correct cards as long they get all the wrong cards.

You do not notice that they never card how many cards that they win and they send cards to opponents side? Why do not keep the cards close to you if Player who grabs the most (correct) cards wins.

The thing that i don't understand is and it was probably never explained in the tv series. What's the penalty for touching the wrong card. I saw some players in the anime intentionally hit multiple cards at the same time. wtf is that.

in this case, you only need 1 min to learn GO.
1. Black moves first
2. you win by surround most area with your stone color.

Go is consider the most basic board game in history, but require alot of intelligent.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
If you touch the wrong card in Karuta, you commit a fault, and the opponent gets to send a card from his side of the field to your side.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
If you touch the wrong card in Karuta, you commit a fault, and the opponent gets to send a card from his side of the field to your side.

i think there are more than that. In the series sometimes they can send more than one cards on a fault.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Barbobot wrote:

i think there are more than that. In the series sometimes they can send more than one cards on a fault.

Touching any card regardless of the side it is on for a dead card is a fault. Touching the wrong card that is on the same side as the actual card is a fault. Touching the wrong card that is not on the same side as the actual card is a double fault iirc.
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It's true that a player wins when their territory has no more cards. However, since grabbing a correct card means getting to remove one card from their own territory, it's practically the same thing. Yes, there are other ways to "score" (if the other player faults), but it's still pretty similar. Plus, the players do produce stacks of cards they've claimed - a card in their territory is not "their" card, but a card they've taken is. It typically does come down to "the player who grabs the most correct cards wins", with faults just tipping it a bit as a form of bonus (/penalty) points. ...And there's really no reason to try to insult people over this. :/ I agree with her sentiment that it's a pretty easy game to learn, but I also submit that it's just as possible to enjoy a show like this without actually understanding the sport.

EDIT: I see that his insulting post was removed, but so was...my post explaining the details of faults and double faults in Karuta...? Weird. :/ There shouldn't have been anything in it that anyone could have found negative or offensive in that.
Karisu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Flowers of Evil get the respect it deserves. It's one of the most artistically and emotionally breathtaking anime ever produced.

I feel a second season would be much deserved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3