• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I just saw Tiger and Bunny over on Hulu, and while i don't agree 100% with Zac's review, It is very good and i will be keeping an eye on that series this season, which is a lot more than what i could say of last season.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
i just tried out Tiger and Bunny and man it really is pretty good. I hope it'll catch on in the west.

pretty nice surprise right from the get go. i honestly had no real interest in watching it but now i think i'm hooked Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Why are people surprised that Zac gave Tiger & Bunny a 5 out of 5? It has "bunny" in the title - total Zac-bait! Wink
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Other series to which Zac has given 5s for the first episode:
Level E
Puella Magica
(or more accurately, its visuals; he wasn't sure what to make of the plot)
Occult Academy
House of Five Leaves
Sengoku Basara

So it's far from unprecedented, folks.

Not that he hasn't done it before, but it does mean a lot when you can impress...The Zac

*insert guitar riff*
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
When I saw that the only preview in the Guide so far was by Zac, I expected one of his famous troll reviews where he picks an awful show and gives it a rating of -1/5 or "smiley shooting itself".

Pretty sure that's going to be reserved for Hen Zemi (or Sofutenni because XEBEC is such a quality studio).
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac started off well with the community but judging from the rest of this season, there is some hate juice to be splashed about in the coming days. You guys better buckle up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Gotta disagree with the 5/5 Zac gave Tiger & Bunny. Sure, it was interesting, but there was not enough there to blow me away just yet. That series could go either way based on the first episode.

I'd say 4/5 for T&B since it kept me interested more than a mediocre show would, but based on the CG designs I think the show is in for some bad looking animation scenes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Why are people surprised that Zac gave Tiger & Bunny a 5 out of 5? It has "bunny" in the title - total Zac-bait! Wink

Laughing I hadn't thought of that, but true! Wink

Zac and I have tended to see eye-to-eye on his 5s, so I will likely check this out. I'm waiting for a few more reviews to compare... and for my last winter series to end before I pick up anything new.

Oh, and guesses on shows he might hate:
Asarotte's Toy, might seem the shoe in for its raunchy premise, but I'm willing to bet it'll either be Bridge to Starry Skies or Without Wings.

Of course, he might also spare himself the stress and only watch shows he thinks he'll like.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
So Tiger & Bunny is pretty much Booster Gold: The Anime?

Or Running Man: The Anime, which is what I thought as I read the premise, except it's told from the side of the "heroes" rather than the criminals.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd say 4/5 ... good enough for me to be ticked off I can't get it on my Roku. C'mon Viz, stream it on YouTube "so the Canadians can see it too".
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of Tiger & Bunny on Zac's review. It was surprisingly good. It's such a unique concept and they're pulling it off well, so I'm going to keep watching.

It only took like a year, but I'm glad to have some good new anime again, haha. I just hope they can push the story forward in a deeper direction.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked the character designs but boy does that CGI look terrible.

I'd give it a four, though I haven't trusted many of the more recent reviews on here. Funny how a show about advertising gets so much advertising on here too . Rolling Eyes
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Checked it out and yeah, that was better than I expected, but the CGI still makes me cringe. I would probably give it a four out of five but I think I'll check out a few more episodes now, it made me laugh enough to want to see the next episode.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have is with the awkward exposition scene where they explain the concept of Next.

The question I have is what is Viz or whoever brings this over going to do with the advertisers. Bandai Ent removed all the advertisements from Code Geass but in Tiger and Bunny its part of the atmosphere to have all those advertisers like Pepsi and Bandai.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
"North American" simulcast? NOPE...in Canada and can't watch it. Well that sucks. Guess I'll have to wait for fansubs. :s I was looking forward to this show as well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 47