• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Devilman TV, Cardcaptor Sakura Film, Jin-Roh, Dallos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well this Cardcaptor Sakura movie do tell some one get the anime but still waiting for some one get the EYES of mars all ready
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Errr, technically the CCS Movie 1 is uncut, but it still uses the name and music changes. Unless you're insinuating there's another uncut English dub out there, right?

Nope, the Geneon/Pioneer Version of the 1st Movie is indeed Uncut, in both the English and Japanese Dialogue. =)

*Had to hunt for my CCS DVDs lol*

So you're saying there exists an English dub for that movie that KEEPS the original names and background music?
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
sakurablossom143 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Errr, technically the CCS Movie 1 is uncut, but it still uses the name and music changes. Unless you're insinuating there's another uncut English dub out there, right?

Nope, the Geneon/Pioneer Version of the 1st Movie is indeed Uncut, in both the English and Japanese Dialogue. =)

*Had to hunt for my CCS DVDs lol*

So you're saying there exists an English dub for that movie that KEEPS the original names and background music?

Ahh.... you were referring to that. Unfortunately, that dub used those 'other names' and different music. But I kind of forgotten since I usually just watch the japanese w/ the subtitles which had the original music in it.

Sorry, I confused you =(
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Nah, no biggie! Nothing wrong with clarifying things. Razz
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek will release [Dallos] on DVD in early 2014. This will be the first North American release of this anime.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this.

Discotek may very well be putting out the first complete & uncut release of this anime in North America, but Wikipedia says that this will be the third release overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallos
Quote:
In 1991, Celebrity Home Entertainment released an American dub of the series on VHS under the title Battle for Moon Station Dallos. The three episodes were edited together as a film. This feature version was later reissued by Best Film and Video Corp simply titled "Dallos". Discotek Media will release the OVA series in uncut form on DVD in 2014.

By the way, Celebrity Home Entertainment also put out edited and retitled versions of Dagger of Kamui and Macross: Do You Remember Love? in North America. Can't remember the title they gave to the Macross movie, but the new title they gave to DoK was something like Revenge of the Ninja Warrior. Ask Mike Toole about it, because I got my copy from him. I think Bennet the Sage has that VHS right now.
Pamachu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:
Quote:
Discotek will release [Dallos] on DVD in early 2014. This will be the first North American release of this anime.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this.

Discotek may very well be putting out the first complete & uncut release of this anime in North America, but Wikipedia says that this will be the third release overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallos
Quote:
In 1991, Celebrity Home Entertainment released an American dub of the series on VHS under the title Battle for Moon Station Dallos. The three episodes were edited together as a film. This feature version was later reissued by Best Film and Video Corp simply titled "Dallos". Discotek Media will release the OVA series in uncut form on DVD in 2014.

By the way, Celebrity Home Entertainment also put out edited and retitled versions of Dagger of Kamui and Macross: Do You Remember Love? in North America. Can't remember the title they gave to the Macross movie, but the new title they gave to DoK was something like Revenge of the Ninja Warrior. Ask Mike Toole about it, because I got my copy from him. I think Bennet the Sage has that VHS right now.

It's called Macross: Clash of the Bionoids. And it's awful.

Despite all that, I do have fond memories of collecting some of the Best Film and Video VHS releases back in the day. In an era when one or two episode tapes cost anywhere between $30-$40, it was nice to find feature length films released at about $15 or less. I remember finding their dub of Dagger of Kamui (which was oddly advertised as a film taking place on another planet, even though the film's story really wasn't altered that much) in a Blockbuster bargain bin for $2. Sure, the quality was garbage and the dubs were subpar (if not downright awful). But in a time of slim pickins and teenage penury, they were a real deal.

With that said, I never owned the Dallos tape. Based on Mike Toole's old review, I'm not sure if it'll be an immediate blind buy though. But, heck. I might give a shot. It's old, it's Oshii... how could it go wrong?

Also, holy crap, Devilman? I never thought I'd see that released in the US! That show is ridonkulously awesome (and awesomely stupid)! I can't wait!

Now let's all cross our fingers and hope this set sells well. Would love a follow-up collection of all the Go Nagai super robot movies (including, yes, the improbable and inaccurately titled Mazinger Z vs. Devilman).

Edit: Oh god, and Lily C.A.T.? That's... pretty awesome. I hope they include Streamline's hilariously deadpan dub!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, we got our eyes on Lily cat. This will be the 2nd replacement from VHS since most of the out of print anime that we do have has been sent out to be digitized for academic use. First Honeamise now Lily Cat. I've never seen Lily Cat and now I really can't because I don't have a VHS anymore and I wouldn't put a tape that's been in everyone's VCR in mine. That's how you get VCR STDs. LOL.

As for the rest it's excellent news. Especially Dallos and CCS. I remember Dallos from my HS anime club venture days. It was one of the first features a club member brought to show and everyone was so ecstatic about the animated cascade of bullets. It's the one line I remember fondly even though the rest of the film didn't really grab me. Maybe it's time to give it another look. Now can we get a release for Lensman?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Discotek, you already own the anime section of my wallet, what more do you want!? Well time to start a special D-trek bank account I guess Anime hyper.

Serously though looking forward to these, specially the CCS films.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
As for the rest it's excellent news. Especially Dallos and CCS. I remember Dallos from my HS anime club venture days. It was one of the first features a club member brought to show and everyone was so ecstatic about the animated cascade of bullets. It's the one line I remember fondly even though the rest of the film didn't really grab me. Maybe it's time to give it another look. Now can we get a release for Lensman?

Kaoru Shintani references the bullet casing work in Dallos for what he wanted in the opening shots of the Area 88 OVA, when the jet is taking out some enemy tanks. That's how I had even heard of Dallos in the first place.

Quickly watching the recent and clearly remastered DVD from Japan, I hope Discotek is using this same transfer. It's practically BD quality, incredibly sharp, colors very filmic and neutral, and just a hint of granulation on some colors and shades. A BD would only look like this, but bigger.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
OMG, AWESOME! Even though I already own the first CCS movie, I'll totally double dip and get the new release. I hope it'll be a combo pack however, since I don't have a way to watch Blu-Rays yet.

Fingers crossed if this will get us closer to a re-license of the TV series and the second movie on both formats!
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
As far as Dallos is concerned, I wonder if Omni Productions dubbed it in its entirety with the Celebrity Home Entertainment release being edited afterwards.

This is considering how Macross: DYRL was the same way, with the 90 minute Clash of the Bionoids edit coming out and then the same dub coming out via Best Film & Video more or less uncut.

Chrno2 wrote:
Maybe it's time to give it another look. Now can we get a release for Lensman?

That's going to be a difficult release; as Mike Toole has explained, there's no DVD release even in Japan. So wherever there's a 35mm print, it'll have to get a new scan as well as a remaster. There's also what "Doc" Smith's estate thinks of this, as his family saw its premier in 1984 and were not pleased with Kawajiri taking a free hand at the original story.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Kaoru Shintani references the bullet casing work in Dallos for what he wanted in the opening shots of the Area 88 OVA, when the jet is taking out some enemy tanks. That's how I had even heard of Dallos in the first place.

Quickly watching the recent and clearly remastered DVD from Japan, I hope Discotek is using this same transfer. It's practically BD quality, incredibly sharp, colors very filmic and neutral, and just a hint of granulation on some colors and shades. A BD would only look like this, but bigger.

See I'm not the only one that knows about that whole bullet deal. Yes, hoping for a good transfer is always important.

ActionJacksin wrote:

Chrno2 wrote:
Maybe it's time to give it another look. Now can we get a release for Lensman?

That's going to be a difficult release; as Mike Toole has explained, there's no DVD release even in Japan. So wherever there's a 35mm print, it'll have to get a new scan as well as a remaster. There's also what "Doc" Smith's estate thinks of this, as his family saw its premier in 1984 and were not pleased with Kawajiri taking a free hand at the original story.

That's sucks and many fans here have been asking for a release of that for years before Discotek starting picking up their acquisition pace. Yeah, that probably may be the only way. I mean TRSI managed to do remastering to 'Astro Boy' and 'Voltron/Go Lion'. i don't know who "Doc Smith" is but is it safe to assume that Lensman was his story and Kawajiri took liberties with it?
I'm sure a friend of mine probably knows the story as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Yeah, that probably may be the only way. I mean TRSI managed to do remastering to 'Astro Boy' and 'Voltron/Go Lion/Dairugger'.

Right Stuf had nothing to do with the remastered Voltron, that was both Media Blasters (when they still had the sub-license) and the show's main licensor, World Events Productions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Discotek is really on fire with these acquistion. Looks like fans of these will be paying great money to own this on remastered DVDs or blu-ray depend on how you watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I am so grabing that CCS movie the day it gets released, that was one of my very first anime that I feel in love with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5