• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Devilman TV, Cardcaptor Sakura Film, Jin-Roh, Dallos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if it's going to include that Nelvana dub. Anime hyper

It better not...

Since Geneon/Nelvana's dub (done with Ocean) was (visually) uncut, it'll probably be included.

I too am in the party that would like a new English dub. Other than movie 2 (which kept the original names and used new Bang Zoom voices), CCS's English dub sucked. I would've liked to have seen FUNimation rescue the property and Monica Rial reprise her role from Tsubasa (which I guess is technically the same character. Sakura Tange didn't do her voice in Japanese because she was retired at that point). I'm not the biggest Rial fan, but I think she could've worked well for Sakura. She herself admits that it's a role she would love to play. Carly McKillip and Kari Wahlgren were both decent, but neither was particularly memorable.

If they get the CCS TV series, they'll likely do separate releases like with Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Rancher.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If they get the CCS TV series, they'll likely do separate releases like with Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Rancher.

That would be IF they get the other dub. I don't see the US cut doing too well here if that got re-released.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not the biggest Rial fan, but I think she could've worked well for Sakura. She herself admits that it's a role she would love to play.

Umm...NO.

I like Monica Rial, but only in the right roles, and Sakura Kinimoto is not one of them. I don't know who the perfect English voice for Sakura would be, but it's not Monica Rial.

...Sorry, CCS is one of my favorite titles, so I was a little intense.
Embarassed

On topic, I'm glad to see the first movie get relicensed and hope it leads to more CCS.
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
As soon as RightStuf has its next Discotek sale pretty much all of this is going on preorder. So awesome!

-DA
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
That would be IF they get the other dub. I don't see the US cut doing too well here if that got re-released.

It would stand a better chance if it's not the KidsWB version. The "full" Nelvana version (which covered all 70 episodes with some edits), while also panned, is far more well-received, and at least kept the basic premise of the show intact (the KidsWB version tried to turn the show into something it was not). The KidsWB version was on Pioneer's English DVDs.

Bonus points if they get the Australian openings and closings, which are covers of the original Japanese themes.

Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:
I'm not the biggest Rial fan, but I think she could've worked well for Sakura. She herself admits that it's a role she would love to play.

Umm...NO.

I like Monica Rial, but only in the right roles, and Sakura Kinimoto is not one of them. I don't know who the perfect English voice for Sakura would be, but it's not Monica Rial.

...Sorry, CCS is one of my favorite titles, so I was a little intense.
Embarassed

On topic, I'm glad to see the first movie get relicensed and hope it leads to more CCS.

You might think so, but I'm sure she'd be terrific. She HAS technically voiced the character before in Tsubasa, and she's certainly enthusiastic about it enough. Whenever I see a picture of the character, I can't help but picture it with Rial's voice.

Of course the best option would be to cast a real child, however it has to be the right child. Carly McKillip just didn't have an interesting voice. Her sister Britt has a more interesting sounding voice (and more voice roles to her name), but she was probably a bit too young at the time.

But as long as the show is properly available in my speaking language, I'm happy. Razz
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
If the bluray release is a good upgrade, I won't mind re-buying the 1st CCS movie in the hopes that it will mean more down the road Very Happy
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
kicksville wrote:
Lily C.A.T. is legit entertainment. Watch it dubbed. They knew what they were doing there. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Which only furthers the proof that nobody has the right to complain about a bad dub if it is legit entertainment.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Yeah, that probably may be the only way. I mean TRSI managed to do remastering to 'Astro Boy' and 'Voltron/Go Lion/Dairugger'.

Right Stuf had nothing to do with the remastered Voltron, that was both Media Blasters (when they still had the sub-license) and the show's main licensor, World Events Productions.

Oh right. Sorry about that. I completely forgot. Embarassed
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
i don't know who "Doc Smith" is but is it safe to assume that Lensman was his story and Kawajiri took liberties with it?
I'm sure a friend of mine probably knows the story as well.

Edward Elmer "Doc" Smith is the original author of the Lensman novels from the 1950s. He passed away in 1965.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, this article bought me back some nostologia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
i don't know who "Doc Smith" is but is it safe to assume that Lensman was his story and Kawajiri took liberties with it?
I'm sure a friend of mine probably knows the story as well.

Edward Elmer "Doc" Smith is the original author of the Lensman novels from the 1950s. He passed away in 1965.

Thank you for that info. It's really a shame when stuff like this happens. This is a worse scenario then the 'Earthsea' deal. I guess folks might never see Lensman. Guess we'll have to hold onto our tape.
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
While I haven't seen the Devilman TV series, I do understand it is missing something important that's found in the original manga...all the good stuff. Laughing

As far as I know, the only Dynamic Productions franchise that suffered worse in translation from manga to anime than Getter Robo is Devilman; while the OVAs are very true to the source in all their horror and violence, the Devilman Toei series is more like a generic kids' superhero series with all the horror you can expect from one.

I'm still buying it though. The more we support Discotek with our money with releases like that, the better chances we have with getting more shows like Getter Robo, Great Mazinger and even UFO Robo Grendizer! Plus how can you not love the TV Devilman's intro? Very Happy

Of course, I'm just big into oldschool anime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5