• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Tales of Vesperia Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I just realized, this also means Freezing will definitely be dubbed. I have no idea what sort of dub cast would work for it, as I only know the cutesy-type female VA's in English...but it could be quite excellent. I hope they don't add excessive profanity, though.

I don't know, I think it's pretty easy casting. For Satellizer they'd need a deeper tone, so either Colleen Clinkenbeard or Brina Palencia (I say Colleen). Ganessa needs some sarcastic snootiness, so Leah Clark (Eri from School Rumble, Suzuka from Suzuka). Stephanie Sheh (normal voice) could work as the underhanded Attia Simmons. And lets not forget Luci Christian and Monica Rial can deepen it up themselves when necessary. Then there's whoever they may "discover" and they're pretty set to avoid "cutesy-type" voices.

Scormio wrote:
Wall scroll please. Actually, they did say "merchandising" rights, so you never know.

Meh. I'm not a fan of posters/wall scrolls even though I have a good bit of stuff hanging on my walls (mostly trinkets from limited editions). A mouse pad is more useful since I spend a lot of time on my computer. It'd even have gel cushions, which are something I really need. The fact that they'd be shaped like breasts is just a huge bonus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
As much as I looked forward to each week's Fractale episode, I think I'd rather have The Tatami Galaxy.

Same. I've already watched it more times than anything else from the past couple seasons. I'll probably just wind up importing the UK dvds when they're released, I'm not a big fan of Funi,,,,

And I guess it's nice to see more Tales getting released (and one that's actually worth watching), but shouldn't Bandai be the ones licensing this stuff? Either way I only want the Symphonia OVAs.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess Troy Baker is probably a given for Tales of Vesperia, but, at the very least, Funimation, could you try to get Sam Riegel for Flynn, too? Ideally, I'd like to see any characters that already have English voices reprise their roles, but I don't expect them to go with anything but the Texas regulars, so the two most prominent characters would be nice, at least.
Sepherest wrote:
And I guess it's nice to see more Tales getting released (and one that's actually worth watching), but shouldn't Bandai be the ones licensing this stuff? Either way I only want the Symphonia OVAs.
Really? Why? The Symphonia OVA is probably the worst Tales adaptation out of all of them... no, wait, forgot about the horrid Eternia anime. Second worst, then. Abyss is probably the best, but I guess if you don't like Abyss, then...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
It's good to see Funi is continuing to release DVDs and BluRays. Like other posters, I would love to hear an announcement about Rainbow and Tatami Mat Galaxy. Unfortunately, I know those shows have a good chance of remaining stuck in cyberspace. (No cute little girls or huge breasts - hey let's face it - certain things sell...)
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
More importantly, how can Funimation be releasing all of these new shows when they are now 2 months overdue on their delivery of Darker than Black: Ryusei no Gemini?! I originally heard that it was coming out February 2011, and now there's no sign of it. It's like Funimation forgot that they had it.
We know perfectly well that tentative release plans are just that until scheduled for release, and schedules for release are always subject to change until they are shipping.

Since the Classics Darker than Black Season One was pushed back from March to later this month, it would not be terribly shocking if Darker than Black Season Two ended up actually being slated for June/July.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Hell yes! I am so preordering ToV First Strike.

Now if the movie sells well, perhaps we'll get a PS3 license as well.

It won't happen because Namco Bandai does not feel it will sell well enough, especially since people already bought the game for the Xbox360. It's like asking them to release Tales of Symphonia for the PS2 here. This is also why we're not getting Tales of Graces for the Wii, but instead Graces F for the PS3. Namco Bandai is gradually learning from its mistakes....I guess.

Vesperia being picked up by Funimation is certainly a surprise though. I thought for sure, if anyone, it would be Bandai to acquire this.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on The Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves..... if Funi wont get them, oh where oh where is Sentai Filmworks?

As far as ToV, still looking for Bandai Namco to release it for the PS3.
Kinda need to play the game before I even consider the movie, and not interested in getting a 360.
I'm still upset @ Bandai since their putting out Tales of the Abyss without a dub... I loved Abyss's dub of the game on the PS2
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still upset @ Bandai since their putting out Tales of the Abyss without a dub

Wait, I missed this. While I didn't think it was the greatest show ever, I was planning on getting it to see it dubbed. Guess that's out of the question.

Quote:
(No cute little girls or huge breasts - hey let's face it - certain things sell...)

Too true. Now if only shows that had those elements could also have a plot, decent writing, and character development. Sadly, the few shows that do are reviled by the community. It's brutal.

Quote:
Stephanie Sheh (normal voice) could work as the underhanded Attia Simmons.

I don't believe she has fostered a working relationship with Funi. Instead, what about other female VAs like Jamie Marchi & Stephanie Young? Witchblade & Mnemosyne showed that they could give serious acting even in a show like Freezing.

Quote:
it would not be terribly shocking if Darker than Black Season Two ended up actually being slated for June/July.

...of 2012. Then it will be pushed back again. There seems to be no explanation for the delay either. It doesn't seem as though the VAs needed to carry over into DTB2 are actively involved in any huge project. Now that East of Eden is long done, Jason Liebrecht should be free, right?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
good job funi I just hope they keep the same dub actors from the game in the anime localization release, after all bandai namco of America payed them so there might be a cast change if you liked the English va's. That aside I am actually surprised It would be nice if they picked up the tales of abyss anime as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't believe [Stephanie Sheh] has fostered a working relationship with Funi. Instead, what about other female VAs like Jamie Marchi & Stephanie Young? Witchblade & Mnemosyne showed that they could give serious acting even in a show like Freezing.

Stephanie Sheh has acted in several Funimation works and written scripts as well; she has a relationship with them. And while I love Stephanie Young, her voice is much too...mature. She has a very womanly (and sensual) voice, not something that'd fit a 17 year old. As for Jamie Marchi, well, I've made it no secret that I am not a fan of hers. Marchi is the reason why I don't love the Witchblade and Mneomsyne dubs as much as I probably could've; I do really like them, though, despite Marchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Quote:
Stephanie Sheh (normal voice) could work as the underhanded Attia Simmons.

I don't believe she has fostered a working relationship with Funi. Instead, what about other female VAs like Jamie Marchi & Stephanie Young? Witchblade & Mnemosyne showed that they could give serious acting even in a show like Freezing.

Well, Sheh has been doing voice work in Funi's newer dubs (Sengoku Basara, Eden of the East, Strike Witches), and also did script work (Romeo X Juliet, Hell Girl).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. As for Jamie Marchi, well, I've made it no secret that I am not a fan of hers.

Any particularly compelling reason?
I understand perfectly the sentiment though, as I am not a Stephanie Sheh fan. Her high-pitched "Stereotypical Anime Voice" has ruined many a show for me.

EDIT: Renege on what I said about Freezing. I remembered it incorrectly, and had only seen ep 1. For some reason, I was thinking that the main char in Freezing was akin to Nora in Witchblade, instead of a weak char. Also I was wrong on the voice Sad I guess I wanted it to be another Witchblade, instead of what it really is, a crude (yet mildly entertaining) Mai-Otome.

On Tales of the Abyss, it would be cool to see (hear) Sam Regal in a main role again. I haven't heard that personally since Texhnolyze and Grenadier. Troy Baker is always awesome, his laudable performance as November 11 is the bar by which all other British accents in dubs are measured.

EDIT:
Quote:
Sheh has been doing voice work in Funi's newer dubs (Sengoku Basara, Eden of the East, Strike Witches)

Too true, I forgot about those as they aren't shows I have much interest in. She fits well into the "motif" of those shows, if you will. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by Echo_City on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Oh hey. I can finally see, uhh, some rather interesting scenes in Freezing uncensored. The streams are great and all but they had to censor the good stuff. Maybe there will be another pre-order goodie similar to The Sacred Blacksmith.

As for the matter of the PlayStation 3 version of Tales of Vesperia, I am pretty sure it will never be released here. Bandai Namco can not, I mean, can not market a game in North America for jack. It is one of the main reasons why some of the more recent Tales games do not sell well. Plus, Vesperia is a two-year old game (the PlayStation 3 version).

I finally made it to post number 700.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I remember the "censored" version of Freezing. In order to actually see anything on the screen, I had to seek out the real version.

I thought the censored version of Witchblade was bad. At least then you could see the whole screen. Censored Freezing was unwatchable IMO. Censorship is morally reprehensible.

Still, we knew this release was going to happen. The release of Queen's Blade seems to be successful, and with Sentai announcing Infinite Stratos, it was fated that Funi would follow with its answer to those shows.

Technically Funi already had Mnemosyne, but I guess that isn't "mainstream" enough. It certainly isn't as well-known as Freezing. It was slightly classier too, though AFAIK it was more graphic.

Oh well, at least it is different than the rest of the recent Funi new releases. I wonder if they're going to continue foisting Alexis Tipton, Scott Freeman, and Micah Solusud into further releases.

Quote:
Maybe there will be another pre-order goodie similar to The Sacred Blacksmith.

Maybe there can be some on-dvd extras? Seriously, these need to make a resurgence. Even Mnemosyne got a commentary track. (an hour long one too)
Talesfan132

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Vesperia The First Strike, in english? Here we go, new voice cast, and the cast was good, no way we're getting the orignial, but Troy Baker, Yuri's voice actor, has done some roles for them, so their is that possabilty. No need to worry about the characters being killed, like Llody in Dawn of the New World, it is Funimation after all. Although, it's better than Bandai getting their hands on it and just translating and not dubbing it like Tales of the Abyss. All is left in the anime section is Symphonia and Eternia. Hopefully this could help more Tales stuff come out over here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5