• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Posts 3rd Quarter Results

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Don't you just love it when someone you hate fails at what they do?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This is good news, hope they get even worse sales next year.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hope they start to get the idea that they won't make money by alienating their market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Hope they start to get the idea that they won't make money by alienating their market.

I'm betting that if they continue this trend, they might throw in the towel and come to us Otaku as a last resort.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Yay! This is good news, hope they get even worse sales next year.

With any luck...
Navitron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

I'm betting that if they continue this trend, they might throw in the towel and come to us Otaku as a last resort.

I really... really.. really really really..... doubt that Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel wrote:

Then you must be feeling nothing because this isn't failure. Their profits are down, but they haven't lost money, they're still very much in the green. It's natural for super popular brands to come down from their high. You don't see Nintendo filing for bankruptcy because Pokemon isn't as popular now as it was in the 90's do you? Once they start going into the red then you can "love it", but for now they're still successful.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

All this shows is that they shouldn't put try to milk something for four or five years. Their audience obviously can't stay on for that long.

Don't you just love playing Devil's Advocate on this issue? I know I do. Twisted Evil
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The only thing keeping them alive is their ties with Nintendo and the American Kennel Club.

If they had to live off of their series alone, they wouldn't last six months.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Um, no. Let's hope they never, ever try to do that. Rather, it'd be better if they decided that licensing anime just isn't worth the costs and stop doing it altogether.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
The only thing keeping them alive is their ties with Nintendo and the American Kennel Club.

I somehow doubt that. Pokemon isn't the big seller it once was. It's just another series now with them only seeing a fraction of the profit off it that Nintendo does. If you said this around '99 I would have agreed, but the fact that they can still turn a profit after both the Pokemon and the Yugioh booms just goes too show that they are capable of doing things on their own, otherwise the decline would have been much sharper.

Emerje
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I somehow doubt that. Pokemon isn't the big seller it once was.

You realize that 4Kids releases a lot of merchandise for Nintendo, including the NES classics series and old-school apparel, right? That's what I was referring to.

They're not doing things on their own. They're getting help, and even with that they're not able to maintain any sort of stability.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
With 4Kids sales going down only one conclusion comes to my mind. That conclusion is that they will try to find another popular anime that they can maret/butcher. In a way having their sales go down might not be a good thing.

However I can think of one good thing that could come out of it. 4Kids merges with another anime distributer company and that prevents them from butchering less anime.

Thats what I think might come out of it.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I somehow doubt that. Pokemon isn't the big seller it once was.

You realize that 4Kids releases a lot of merchandise for Nintendo, including the NES classics series and old-school apparel, right? That's what I was referring to.

They're not doing things on their own. They're getting help, and even with that they're not able to maintain any sort of stability.

Really? Winx Club is doing pretty well, (I think their doll line is in what, fourth or fifth place? Not bad.) and that doesn't have anything to do with video games or dogs.

Just because one or two properties aren't as hot as they used to be doesn't mean anything. 4Kids isn't in any trouble financially, and I doubt they will be for a very long time.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel wrote:

Then you must be feeling nothing because this isn't failure. Their profits are down, but they haven't lost money, they're still very much in the green. It's natural for super popular brands to come down from their high. You don't see Nintendo filing for bankruptcy because Pokemon isn't as popular now as it was in the 90's do you? Once they start going into the red then you can "love it", but for now they're still successful.

Emerje

Actually, I bet they are feeling it. Big profitible companies tend to go into internal panic attacks when they become less profitible, even if they're still very successful by any objective standard, because it might be a harbinger of bad things to come, and even if it isn't, their objective is to grow every quarter, just like any other big company, and not meeting that goal is never a good thing. There's probably a lot of hand-wringing over these numbers over at 4Kids, even though the public will never see any of it.

Look at the movie industry. They're still worth billions of dollars and DVD sales are healthier than ever, yet nearly every single report about movies I've read this year goes to the trouble of pointing out that movie sales are down from last year, and for some reason this constitutes a "slump" despite the fact that the studios are still massivly profitible. Okay, so it's only the SECOND most profitible year in movie history, no big, right? But try telling that to studio executives-I can't count the number of news stories I've read about how the people in charge of studios are getting more and more uneasy and some are even predicting the death of movies as we know them, just because this year was only massivly profitible instead of phenomally profitible.

It seems there's no perspective in the entertainment industry, so I bet 4Kids (also an entertainment company, of course) is having similar panic attacks. It probably doesn't mean the end for them, but at least they'll sweat a little.

I bet 4Kids will think long and hard before liscencing another major property, considering the money pit One Piece has become for them (even if that is mostly their own fault, try to get them to admit that.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3