• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Posts 3rd Quarter Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
But even that was pretty stupid. Al Kahn said that they wanted 4Kids TV to become their main source of profit this year - almost immediately after, they sold off Pokemon Chronicles and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, two series with potential and backed behind well-known franchises, to their competitors. Does this sound like a smart company to you?

I don't believe they had a choice. I'm pretty sure they've contracted all things Yugioh and Pokemon to WB long before there was even a Fox Box. And really, when they're competing against themselves how can they lose?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I pray for the day when 4Kids files for bankruptcy. Either that or the day they stop licensing anime. That company deserves the terrible sales they're recieveing. But the thing is, they don't realize that it's their own fault. They probably think that nobody likes One Piece because it's not about ninjas or super-powerful fighters or whatever when it fact it's their own damn fault because they ruined the show with their excessive editing and attempts to add in extra humor where it wasn't needed (having Luffy tell Sanji outdated knock-knock jokes when they were originally silent). I hope Al Khan get mugged and shot. Oh, wait, what I meant to say was, I hope Al Khan gets "attacked" and "stuck with poison suction darts". Laughing That guy makes me sick.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I don't believe they had a choice. I'm pretty sure they've contracted all things Yugioh and Pokemon to WB long before there was even a Fox Box. And really, when they're competing against themselves how can they lose?

Emerje

For all intents and purposes, GX and Chronicles are different shows. Not like Johto Journeys or Enter the Shadow Realm or whatever where 4Kids just re-brands it, completely new.

Joe Mello wrote:
After all, it's not only popular, they made it popular.

4Kids didn't make anything popular. They licensed, released, and got two flukes that would have succeeded had any other company released them. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are both built in merchandise and games - all they would need to become winners in America is a push.

Mozilla wrote:
I'm not trying to back up 4Kids, but remember, they ARE "4Kids Entertainment" and their slogan "We know what KIDS like". Just imagine, little Jimmy, 5 years old, watches Yu-Gi-Oh or Shaman King everyday on Tv, so for Christmas he wants a Yu-Gi-Oh or Shaman King DVD, now I don't think little Jimmy's parents would appreciate it if they picked up the Uncut Dvd, which may scare little Jimmy and his parents. No seriousely, I guess 4Kids is way too much For Kids then the rest of us. And although I hate the idea, it may not be so good to sell uncuts for shows aimed for kids - I bet I'm gonna get flammed for this.

...-_-

Did you know that this isn't even a concern for 4Kids? If they're worried about parents and kids buying it, then slap a 13+ label on it and call it a day. It's so incredibly EASY and I'm extremely tired of hearing this lame reasoning.

Not to mention that Shaman King and One Piece's US fan bases, in America, aren't even primarily made up of children. Teens. TEENS. WHY should they edit down their shows and release hackjob DVDs to cater to the audience least likely to buy them?

I swear, 4Kids is driving me crazy. No company could possibly be this stupid.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
4Kids didn't make anything popular. They licensed, released, and got two flukes that would have succeeded had any other company released them. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are both built in merchandise and games - all they would need to become winners in America is a push.

While we could debate the validity of this statement for days on end, Pokemon is 4Kids' property, so they get the credit for starting the anime craze.

I've just realized something: 4Kids is "our" Jerry Springer. People hate the company for what they think it represents and want to destroy, yet the bane of everyone's existance is making an @$$load of cash. Interesting, ne?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
While we could debate the validity of this statement for days on end, Pokemon is 4Kids' property, so they get the credit for starting the anime craze.

But it wasn't really 4Kids who made it big. There were so many players involved - the original syndicators, WB, Nintendo, Wizards of the Coast...

Heck, for all we know the games could have been the ones that made it big, the anime only following suit.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I've just realized something: 4Kids is "our" Jerry Springer. People hate the company for what they think it represents and want to destroy, yet the bane of everyone's existance is making an @$$load of cash. Interesting, ne?

The only reason 4Kids is making money is because Al Kahn's been doing "favors" for the mayor of New York. That, or because of all the mindless 10-year-olds who beg their mommies for the newest Pokemon product. However, they don't deserve anything from us. I hope Eichirou Oda comes to a U.S. convention and voices his dissapproval of what 4Satan did to One Piece. And it has to be a convention where 4Kids also has a panel (which would just get mobbed by people with guns... I mean, Super Soakers).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'd honestly like to get a reply from Toei, just so they can get laughed out of the room.

I sooooo want to make another analogy, but I can't. The Springer one is just so good. You people just can't stand 4Kids performing well because you think it's morally, ethically, and/or asthetically wrong. Well guess what? 4Kids isn't trying to cater to you. ADV and Funimation and Tokyopop are trying to cater to you. Al Khan probably is happy that people outside the target are watching, but he probably doesn't care. He also doesn't wake up each morning wondering how he can screw over hardcore otaku who can't tolerate their own language, and I'd bet each and every one of you $100 that I'm right.

This is TV, people. If you don't like it, turn it off. Read a book. I personally recommend Catch-22, or anything written by Dave Barry. Most people think The DaVinci Code is pretty good, too. I wouldn't know, though, but I digress.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
But I want an uncut, subtitled one piece release Sad Therefore bitching must ensue!
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
But dude... here's the thing: I like One Piece. You can't simply tell me just to "turn it off", because this crap is preventing me from seeing a legal uncut version.

To hell with fansubs and bootlegs. I WANT THE REAL DEAL.

Oh, and BTW, One Piece's main fan base in America is teens. As I have said many times. Yet 4Kids thinks it's such a BRILLIANT idea to constantly do this "Water down the series to the point of insanity and then release a horseshit edited version on DVD" approach and guess what, IT'S NOT WORKING.

Want to know what One Piece got last week in ratings with 6-11? A 0.4. 400,000 viewers. You know, that's pretty low. Might argue that it was a one time thing, but it wasn't - ever since Yu-Gi-Oh! had its second slot removed, it's been getting the lowest ratings on 4Kids TV.

You can't defend how 4Kids works One Piece with the argument of money. THEY ARE NOT MAKING MONEY OFF OF THIS DEAL. And honestly I don't know why the hell they're so afraid of expanding their horizons. Do they think teens don't have money or something? You know, the teens with jobs to buy things?

Even in its edited version, One Piece is mainly a teen show, but 4Kids doesn't get it. When the DVDs sell like crap, 4Kids is going to keep releasing them for some bizarre reason, but say that uncuts aren't profitable enough. When One Piece on 4Kids TV starts maintaining, oh, a 0.2 average or something, they're going to keep it on for some bizarre reason that defies ALL LOGIC, and say that good dubs are bad.

And I really hate how everyone's like "Oh they're doing this for the kids/emos/soccer moms/whatever, they're MAINSTREAM! ONE PIECE MUTHAFUCKA ONE PIECE", when Viz is taking pretty much the same approach with Zatch Bell! and Naruto. Top 100 programs on CN in September:

#1: Naruto
#5: Zatch Bell
#12: One Piece

Working pretty swell for them, eh?

*sighs* Apologies for the emo burst, but 4Kids' logic (if you can call it that) is so incomprehensible it makes me want to drive a bullet through my head...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3