• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
So there are people that will even come to the defense of trash like this game. Crazy.

Regardless how you feel about the game, there's no real excuse for the kind of absurd statements made in a lot of the reviews of it. Not that I never expected it to do well with reviewers to begin with given it's content that tend to be demonized here.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Or maybe this game is just really bad. Every review says the graphics are bad, the gameplay is terribly clunky, the plot is bad, the characters are vapid archetypes...

Face it, man. This game is a masturbatory aid that fails at being one, much less a game

I could honestly care less about fan-service in game as long as it's playable. Neptuina 1 for the ps3 a prime example of broken game-play but decent va/artwork and fan-service. However what I've read and seen footage off the game is very broken and just looks bad which is a no sale for me. To be honest I wasn't even that hyped up for this game, my focus is Disgaea D2 right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Nearly every single review I've run across has just been negative overall which is shame.

Most reviews on other sites I've read about it are hilariously stupid, so I'd take them with a grain of salt. It's hard to take them seriously when they list 'fanservice' as a con, as if they're afraid of sexuality or something.
Blatant fan service in lieu of actual plot IS a bad thing. Sexuality =/= Fan Service, by the way, mate.

Fanservice enhances a game or anime if thats what its goal is. Its obvious that this is just a harem anime in video game form, so if it didn't have fanservice that would be a negative.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I preordered this because I bought into the hype machine. I seem to do that a lot so I have no one to blame for it but myself. I will soldier through it and hope that it gets better as the game progresses.

Like a lot of the other comments, the animation is not as nice as it should be, and my biggest annoyance so far is when characters talk the lip movements don't match the timing of the voices. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but when I'm playing with the Japanese voice track and the lips don't match it is really jarring to me.

zendervai wrote:

Annoyingly, the actual concept art is gorgeous.

This x1000. The game cover, the loading screen art, basically any art that isn't the actual battle and ingame art is beautiful. I found myself thinking "damn this would make a nice background" when I first popped in the disk and saw the art when you let it hover over the disk icon, but then found myself disappointed when I actually got into battle.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Regardless how you feel about the game, there's no real excuse for the kind of absurd statements made in a lot of the reviews of it. Not that I never expected it to do well with reviewers to begin with given it's content that tend to be demonized here.

I figured it out - you are Japan's clingy, irrational, codependent boyfriend who even Japan is getting pretty sick of.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

I figured it out - you are Japan's clingy, irrational, codependent boyfriend who even Japan is getting pretty sick of.

With all due respect you need to chill. I always see you coming on here to defend anything ANN puts out like its gold and without flaw. As somebody in a semi-journalistic setting you should be a little more subjective. And you usually do it in a pretty douchebag manner as well. Oh no, somebody criticized a writer on ANN or their opinion, let me come in and make some snide comment.

I mean I do respect you backing your staff, but they are not infallible, far from it, and barring someone saying something really inflammatory about them, I think you really need to just chill.

Oh I was flipping through some old Anime Insiders, didn't know that you wrote for them at one point.

Moving onto the game itself, haven't played it yet, but the fact is it sold well on NISA, with both the regular and limited edition selling out. So at least US sales are pretty good. Also I don't see the complaint in graphics, at least not compared to other rpgs. Toki to Towa is not a mainstream game. Its not game that someone who plays Halo or even Mass Effect plays. Its the type of game thats played by those who buy NISA other products. So I do believe the game probably is receiving some undue criticism because its being judged by the wrong people and the wrong standard.

Fanmitsu a reviewer/publication who tends to be heavy on JRPG material, gave it a 32/40, so it can't be that bad. Its probably flawed but I can't help wonder what were the expectation of some of these individuals.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
When they first announced this game I thought it was a great concept. I mean anime is capable of looking very beautiful and the idea of playing something that looked like a anime was a cool idea.

Then I saw the first game play trailer and knew it was not gonna turn out well. The animation is just horrible. Not only is the design so painfully generic to look at but the movements are just so jarringly awkward looking that it makes the game hard to look at.

Personally I think the idea of animating the graphics in a game is a bad idea when it's something that isn't on a 2d plane. What should be focused on instead is making a graphics engine that can render things that look like they are done like one hoped this game would do. Cathrine for example has a awesome look to it and if they keep moving in that direction and try to make it look like playing a anime I'm sure they could get closer but doing what Time and Eternity did is just a bad idea.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
If a reviewer has an aversion towards fanservice and frankly anyone who defines sexism in terms of sensibilities rather than gender discrimination, then most of its other merits simply won't matter.

That said, having not played the game yet, but seeing and reading about it, and following the hype, I believe some of the criticism after filtering out the hyperbole. This is my take:
Pros:
- anime aesthetic and story
Cons:
- clunky, limited, repetitive animation
- clunky, very limited mechanics, limited environment, boring gameplay

The problem is, this is a game, not an animated show. If they wanted to have a game with 2D, hand crafted animation, they they should've made a VN instead. Otherwise, all of the tons of money used in creating static animation could have gone into licensing and/or programming a game and rendering engine that can successfully emulate the anime style while still keeping the flexibility of a fully programmable 3d world.

A good example is Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-05-19/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-fighting-game-unveiled
which uses the Unreal Engine and everything is entirely 3D CG
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Christ guys no one likes this game. Its a terrible game for reasons completely unrelated to its fanservice or concept. Its just bad

Go play MegaTen4 or Dynasty Warriors 8, both came out yesterday and are infinitely better than this piece of crap.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Christ guys no one likes this game. Its a terrible game for reasons completely unrelated to its fanservice or concept. Its just bad

Go play MegaTen4 or Dynasty Warriors 8, both came out yesterday and are infinitely better than this piece of crap.

I preordered MegaTen 4 and Time & Eternity and both will arrive tomorrow. I'm much more hyped for Time & Eternity and will be playing that first though (once I finish Project x Zone).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
With all due respect you need to chill.

With all due respect you obviously don't know Titan. Zac's comment is about as spot on accurate as you can get.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
With all due respect you need to chill. I always see you coming on here to defend anything ANN puts out like its gold and without flaw. As somebody in a semi-journalistic setting you should be a little more subjective. And you usually do it in a pretty douchebag manner as well. Oh no, somebody criticized a writer on ANN or their opinion, let me come in and make some snide comment.

I wasn't even talking about this review specifically, mostly the ones on other sites which are more anti-anime and the like. At least this one didn't use the dreaded p-word like I've seen elsewhere.

Though I will say that response pretty much fits in with the hyperbolic negativity kotomikun mentioned.

Though to be fair this isn't exactly the kind of anime ANN's staff generally likes either so I'm not terribly surprised by this one either.

configspace wrote:
If a reviewer has an aversion towards fanservice and frankly anyone who defines sexism in terms of sensibilities rather than gender discrimination, then most of its other merits simply won't matter.

Pretty much. They make their displeasure known upfront and anything you try to say will be dismissed because of their own beliefs, so there's not much room for discussion.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
"All reviewers are bias, they hate Japanese games and anime".

Yep that's it. Yep even explains why sites about the stuff are giving this game terrible reviews. Yep, I bet rpgfan and the like hate Japanese games too.

Yep I bet that these mainstream reviewers such as ANN hate the way Japanese games look, that's why stuff like No More Heroes, Ni No Kuni, Catherine, El Shaddai, Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Asura's Wrath, and even Final Fantasy XIII receive low scores for their aesthetics.

Yep, reviewers just have it out for Japan. It couldn't be that this game sucks, the fanserivice is tasteless and creepy(which of course would be a good reason to dock the game, and the art is terribly generic.

No reviwers have the bias, not you.

Quote:
Fanmitsu a reviewer/publication who tends to be heavy on JRPG material, gave it a 32/40, so it can't be that bad. Its probably flawed but I can't help wonder what were the expectation of some of these individuals.
You mean Famitsu. Yeah, no one actually puts any stock in what they have to say.

Quote:
Its not game that someone who plays Halo or even Mass Effect plays. Its the type of game thats played by those who buy NISA other products. So I do believe the game probably is receiving some undue criticism because its being judged by the wrong people and the wrong standard.
Beyond the fact that I find it silly to put people into war groups, as if people can't like a variety of things, I fail to see who should review this game. I mean, it is getting negative reviews from the type of people who are in this audience. So you really can't even hold that as a defense. And why shouldn't it be compared to other rpgs? It's an rpg right? Are NIS games sub-standard that they have to be beholden to some special standard? There's an excuse for their low quality? You act as if jrpgs don't have solid looking games or quality that rival games of other genres. And if this game can't compare to other quality games, why play it? Well maybe you're accepting of a certain standard, but just because a reviewer dosen't think this game is as good as another game dosen't mean his/her review is'nt right.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

That said, having not played the game yet, but seeing and reading about it, and following the hype, I believe some of the criticism after filtering out the hyperbole. This is my take:
Pros:
- anime aesthetic and story
Cons:
- clunky, limited, repetitive animation
- clunky, very limited mechanics, limited environment, boring gameplay

As someone who has played the game before the US release (I own the JP version and it's pretty straightforward to play without needing to be fluent in Japanese), I can agree with this. Do I find it fun? Sure, even though some of it bugs the hell out of me. Is it rough around the edges? Yes, quite rough...the game certainly needs some more polish. It's a great concept that I hope, one day, another one can be made on a better budget.

Animation - I like it even though its clunky. Reminds me of old SEGA CD games like the opening of Popful Mail or Time Gal. The lip-syncing problem is pretty funny though (dunno if NISA fixed that in the English dub). I do agree that the limited number of animations can get rather boring.

Gameplay - Sure it's repetitive (a lot of games are repetitive though - interesting/good gameplay does ease on that) and I can see why some people can be turned off by it. The battle system is pretty neat, but they can be longer than what they should be which can be annoying (why do I have face 4 of the same powerful enemies with attack patterns that extend the battle?). The skills system isn't bad though.

To me, the game has an old-school charm to it. I grew up on RPGs so I can look past the flaws and enjoy it since it's pretty traditional just with a sort of modern coating on it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
You guys know that Famitsu scores are determined by how much the publisher paid them, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7