• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You guys know that Famitsu scores are determined by how much the publisher paid them, right?

Gee publishers paying off reviewers for decent scores, more news at 11!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Glad I waited for the reviews before buying. Everyone seems to be tearing the game apart. It's a shame, because it looked promising. The graphics do look better in stills than in motion, but I can deal with bad visuals if the story and gameplay are good. It sounds like that's not the case though.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm so confused.

This game has been consistently panned by everyone since it came out in Japan. And people are surprised its getting bad reviews now?
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Strangely the game previews of this gave me a bit of nostalgia. It kinda reminds me a bit of Dragon's Lair and that game is a good time waster. But hearing and seeing the designs, storyline, and the gameplay doesn't seem like a good buy imo.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Blame the fans who wanted tho bring this game to the U.S., that's for sure.

So no, you don't just blame the fans who wanted it in English. Blame the people who had high expectations when this was a first attempt.

Except that KIND of attitude is the reason why you SHOULD NOT always hear what the fans have to say.

If the game is bad, it should remained in Japan.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with this review, but I do have to disagree that random battles are bad. Just because it's an old thing versus modern doesn't make it bad. I really like random battles.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

So no, you don't just blame the fans who wanted it in English. Blame the people who had high expectations when this was a first attempt.

Except that KIND of attitude is the reason why you SHOULD NOT always hear what the fans have to say.

Why? The game sold out even before it released on NISAs site, so theres an audience for it... not even the Atelier games have done that (only Neptunia and Disgaea games do on a normal basis). Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that people who want to play it shouldn't be allowed to.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

I hate attitude like this and always have when it comes to the gaming community. No one is forcing your play it, yes the game has a huge amount of flaws but guess what some people do enjoy it get over it. I may not be one of them but I'll stick up for any localization of game that is obscure or niche.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Why can't they just move on and let it be? There will always be small number of people who are not going to be happy with the reviews. They wouldn't change their minds no matter how many condescending remarks they read.

At the same time, this review is kind of pointless because it's already obvious there's a specific crowd for this kind of game and they will probably get this game and be disappointed or happy while the regular gamers will ignore the game no matter what review it gets. Unless it's a big game published by established game company, I don't think review is necessary.

And person with Wrpg obsession shouldn't say so much about what's other side of the fence because none of these games you list are ripped to shred because half of them don't even have anime aesthetics. Tales and Valkyria Chronicles are from well-established companies, the critics have no reason to rip them apart.

Methinks this game should've just been a visual novel for DS release and tone down the goddamned story. At lease there wouldn't have been so much work piling as PS3. What's with small developer wanting to develop for PS3 when they don't have enough manpower?
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
the fanserivice is tasteless and creepy(which of course would be a good reason to dock the game, and the art is terribly generic.

There's not enough desert terrain brown and gunmetal gray to call this art-style generic to me. Laughing It looks way too colorful to be called generic.

Quote:
Beyond the fact that I find it silly to put people into war groups, as if people can't like a variety of things, I fail to see who should review this game. I mean, it is getting negative reviews from the type of people who are in this audience. So you really can't even hold that as a defense. And why shouldn't it be compared to other rpgs? It's an rpg right? Are NIS games sub-standard that they have to be beholden to some special standard? There's an excuse for their low quality? You act as if jrpgs don't have solid looking games or quality that rival games of other genres. And if this game can't compare to other quality games, why play it? Well maybe you're accepting of a certain standard, but just because a reviewer dosen't think this game is as good as another game dosen't mean his/her review is'nt right.

He was just pointing out a lot of the time the wrong people review things. Makes no sense to get a dudebro to review an RPG just like it doesn't make sense to get a guy who hates the human body to review a fanservice anime Laughing Everyone's got their own preferences and tastes, so trying to standardize such a diverse medium will only lead to problems.
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Glad to know unless you personally think a game is good it shouldn't be localized Confused Guess that's why Ace Attorney 5 is digital only after so much complaining by fans and Yakuza 5 and tons of other interesting looking games aren't even getting localized If it's not some shooter game the publishers don't buy good reviews for and market to detah it should stay in its own country, right?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You guys know that Famitsu scores are determined by how much the publisher paid them, right?

Do you have any hard evidence to back that up? Damn near every professional review publication has been accused of this and I never see any proof.

Quote:
As somebody in a semi-journalistic setting you should be a little more subjective.

I think this may be the first time an ANN staffer has been told to be more subjective, as opposed to the opposite.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Do you have any hard evidence to back that up? Damn near every professional review publication has been accused of this and I never see any proof.

I don't have a link off-hand, but its been known that Famitsu has basically been a paid mouthpiece since the late-nineties.

Which is fine, the main purpose of the mag is previews and the like, the 'reviews' aren't really the main draw
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's not enough desert terrain brown and gunmetal gray to call this art-style generic to me. Laughing It looks way too colorful to be called generic.
So generic is only something western, that's what you're trying to imply here isn't it? Are you dense? Because you'd have to be to make a statement like this. Because yep, colorful anime designs are never generic...

Quote:
He was just pointing out a lot of the time the wrong people review things.
When? How do you know? Are you clued into every reviewers taste?

Quote:
Makes no sense to get a dudebro to review an RPG just like it doesn't make sense to get a guy who hates the human body to review a fanservice anime Laughing
Yep and now you've dropped the stupid dudebro word. Yes, because really the people reviewing games as their career would fit the dudebro stereotype. And yep people must be dudebros because they don't appreciate you're precious animu games.

Quote:
Everyone's got their own preferences and tastes, so trying to standardize such a diverse medium will only lead to problems.
Isn't that what you want? You only want people who fit into your little categories reviewing these games? You don't want people who actually have a variety in their taste doing these reviews seemingly.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

To me, this is a problem that stems from people thinking 'paid reviews' meaning publishers handing websites a large brown sack with a cartoon dollar sign on it. That's not really how 'paid reviews' work. Well, perhaps that does happen sometimes as there was that incident where journalists were given PS3s if they promoted a game for a publisher, but most of the time it's politics. Company hypes up a huge game, it gets a lot of buzz and people want lots of info on it so they hit up gaming sites for it. When they send out review copies to sites, the sites review them earlier than anyone else, so consumers flood the sites with hits and page views and ad revenue. Now, if Company A notices that a Site A tends to give their games lower reviews, they might skip that site when it's sending out review copies. Which means all those page views and hits of people wanting early info go away, and they lose money. Imagine if you're a game site and every other site got reviews of Call of Duty but you didn't. Well, sad to say your site is not getting all those views. There then exists that obligation that "Well, if you want review copies, you got to tell us what we want to hear" and it becomes a nice little balancing game. When you factor in incidents like promotional deals and paid advertisements on sites such as Jeff Gerstmann being fired from Gamespot when he gave one of their games a bad review while it was simultaneously being advertised on their site because the publisher threatened to null their advertismenet deal, and you have an unfortunate relationship.

Famitsu, however, at least with my dealings with them in the past, don't do this. It is a different culture, after all. However, the problem with Famitsu is they tend to give scores based on what they, or their readers, think they should get. The most controversial score they ever gave was 28/40 to Dirge of Cerberus. 28 is the lowest score to still be a 'good' score. Basically an obvious sign of "We didn't really love it, but it's Final Fantasy and has fans and they probably like it so here you go". If it wasn't a Final Fantasy game they probably would have given it a lower score, but since it was they treated it nice. They weren't paid to do so or threatened with advertisement money. They just did it out of respect for Final Fantasy fans and the franchise.

Of course, all my experience with them was back during the PlayStation 2 days. Given the increase of western titles being released in Japan, it's hard to say if publishers try to do the same thing with them. I know Crystal Dynamics had a huge hand in the marketing of Tomb Raider in Japan in an attempt to drum up interest and Obsidian was heavily involved in the Japanese media for Fallout New Vegas, to the point of libel and slandering other games, though neither of which really paid off in the end, so I can't really say if they or other companies may have approached Famitsu or anything recently this generation. Truth is no one but them can tell you that, and that goes for all review sites. We're lucky to know as much as we do when we get the occasional controversy to make the headlines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7