• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why? The game sold out even before it released on NISAs site, so theres an audience for it... not even the Atelier games have done that (only Neptunia and Disgaea games do on a normal basis).

That's kind of a meaningless data point in that we don't know how many units NISA produced for any game, the allocation between LE/RE, and how many are reserved for their site. They likely vary from title to title, based on projections.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Zac wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Regardless how you feel about the game, there's no real excuse for the kind of absurd statements made in a lot of the reviews of it. Not that I never expected it to do well with reviewers to begin with given it's content that tend to be demonized here.

I figured it out - you are Japan's clingy, irrational, codependent boyfriend who even Japan is getting pretty sick of.

With all due respect you need to chill. I always see you coming on here to defend anything ANN puts out like its gold and without flaw. As somebody in a semi-journalistic setting you should be a little more subjective. And you usually do it in a pretty douchebag manner as well. Oh no, somebody criticized a writer on ANN or their opinion, let me come in and make some snide comment.

Typical
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why? The game sold out even before it released on NISAs site, so theres an audience for it... not even the Atelier games have done that (only Neptunia and Disgaea games do on a normal basis).

That's kind of a meaningless data point in that we don't know how many units NISA produced for any game, the allocation between LE/RE, and how many are reserved for their site. They likely vary from title to title, based on projections.

Regardless, it means it outdid their expectations so its still a successful title for them and that theres an audience for it. Its not like a Mugen Souls where they were left with over 50% of the special editions never sold.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Regardless, it means it outdid their expectations so its still a successful title for them and that theres an audience for it. Its not like a Mugen Souls where they were left with over 50% of the special editions never sold.

No, you can't conclude that from the fact that the NISA store may be out of stock. To reiterate, you don't know how many units were allocated to the NISA store nor what percentage they expected would be sold directly versus third party retail. You don't know this for one title let alone all of their titles.

Basically, you have a meaningless data point. Unless NISA says something otherwise, we don't have enough information to draw conclusions about its success one way or the other.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why? The game sold out even before it released on NISAs site, so theres an audience for it... not even the Atelier games have done that (only Neptunia and Disgaea games do on a normal basis). Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that people who want to play it shouldn't be allowed to.
Because NISA has a fanbase that will buy pretty much whatever garbage they shove out. As far as this game selling out goes, it's entirely possible that it had a smaller print run. I can't imagine they had particularly high hopes for it, given the reception to the game even before it was released in Japan.
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this, more because I wanted to see how well the concept of an animation game actually worked- and I remember the idea sounded pretty cool on paper.

Then the trailer for Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- came out, and it managed to have a very good anime look and feel, and it did it with 3D models, and I lost any interest in this game. It just seems like a proof of concept delivering too little, too late.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Will get it for a cheap price. Willing to try this based on how bad it is. I do like the art, just unfortunate everything else turned out bad. Many reviews in Japan panned this game, so seeing Western reviewers' low scores isn't surprising.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

No, you can't conclude that from the fact that the NISA store may be out of stock. To reiterate, you don't know how many units were allocated to the NISA store nor what percentage they expected would be sold directly versus third party retail. You don't know this for one title let alone all of their titles.

Basically, you have a meaningless data point. Unless NISA says something otherwise, we don't have enough information to draw conclusions about its success one way or the other.

You're really grasping at straws. If something sells out, it was a success for them.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
You're really grasping at straws. If something sells out, it was a success for them.

It didn't sell out. They stopped selling it at the NISA store. Do you not understand the difference? Do you not get that just because you can't order it from the NISA store doesn't mean you can't get it via Amazon or Gamestop even right now? Do you not understand that we don't know how NISA allocated the print run or how large it was?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It hasn't got good reviews even on RPG sites like RPGamer and RPG Fan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It hasn't got good reviews even on RPG sites like RPGamer and RPG Fan.

Neither did Neptunia or other similar 'moe anime' RPGs with sizable fanbases. Just because they're RPG sites and may like parental approved kid-friendly Ghibli adventure like Ni No Kuni doesn't mean they still can't switch to think-of-the-fictional-children mode when they see other anime games with fanservice and stuff. Being an 'RPG site' makes no real difference in that regard.

Penguin_Factory wrote:
I think this may be the first time an ANN staffer has been told to be more subjective, as opposed to the opposite.

Maybe they meant subjective in the grammatical sense, as in pertaining to the subject of being in poor taste to make a battered girlfriend joke just because someone said something you dislike.

Guile wrote:
Famitsu, however, at least with my dealings with them in the past, don't do this. It is a different culture, after all. However, the problem with Famitsu is they tend to give scores based on what they, or their readers, think they should get. The most controversial score they ever gave was 28/40 to Dirge of Cerberus. 28 is the lowest score to still be a 'good' score. Basically an obvious sign of "We didn't really love it, but it's Final Fantasy and has fans and they probably like it so here you go". If it wasn't a Final Fantasy game they probably would have given it a lower score, but since it was they treated it nice. They weren't paid to do so or threatened with advertisement money. They just did it out of respect for Final Fantasy fans and the franchise.

Better to be too nice than too mean, I suppose. I think I prefer this to the alternative. It's akin to saying "it's good if you're a fan of the genre". I mean, every game somewhere has fans, so trying to say something is objectively bad is a bit of a folly when everything probably has people who love things to death. Then you got instances where 'objectively bad' movies and games are amazing huge and popular like Transformers and Twilight. Despite being "critically bad" a lot of people sure do seem to like those movies so a lot of toss those critical reviews are wroth. I find it a bit insightful to get a fan to tell you why they like it rather than a hater to tell you why they hate it. I always find more benefit in that when discussing games and anime with friends.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Neither did Neptunia or other similar 'moe anime' RPGs with sizable fanbases. Just because they're RPG sites and may like parental approved kid-friendly Ghibli adventure like Ni No Kuni doesn't mean they still can't switch to think-of-the-fictional-children mode when they see other anime games with fanservice and stuff. Being an 'RPG site' makes no real difference in that regard.

The RPGamer reviewer's criticism was almost entirely based on mechanics and system design, BTW. Oh, and they liked the second one.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

The RPGamer reviewer's criticism was almost entirely based on mechanics and system design, BTW. Oh, and they liked the second one.

They deserve credit for fairly rating the mechanics or gameplay of the second one, but:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 is also much more risqué than the original game, and that's saying a lot considering some of the content of the first. There are several occasions, most of them involving a particularly grotesque boss, that just go a bit too far into perversion territory. Most RPGamers will probably find them to be in quite bad taste.

probably contributing to: STORY = 3/5 and VISUALS= 2/5
and the overall 3.5/5 score.

The former can be more objectively rated but not so for the later. Whatever "bad taste" etc is still tame and were someone else reviewing it who didn't have such an aversion, I'm sure the score would have been a bit different. A review that's more relevant to the fanbase would be one that does not have these biases and instead rates it on expectations and execution instead. That is, what's listed as a "Con" would be seen as a "Pro" here

It applies similarly to Dragon's Crown (see Kotaku and other like minded sites) and likewise here. One needs to filter out Todd's entire anti-fanservice paragraph--something that again, would be seen as a Pro rather than a Con--to get to pertinent criticisms.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It applies similarly to Dragon's Crown (see Kotaku and other like minded sites) and likewise here. One needs to filter out Todd's entire anti-fanservice paragraph--something that again, would be seen as a Pro rather than a Con--to get to pertinent criticisms.

No his point was that the Sorceress was completely unnecessary and retarded. She wasn't even hot, god damn, just grotesque.

Your dick doesn't need to be satisfied every second to enjoy a game. At the very least, Neptunia's characters are sexually attractive.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Neptunia getting a 2 for visuals is just saddening. Tsunako has some gorgeous character work and designs. Giving his work a 2 is just mind-boggling and I can only assume it has to do with the 'sexualzation' as mentioned. Though looking at that reviewer's other work, he seems to favor more 'realistic' yet blander graphics such as Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim. I suppose that's the standard for art direction a lot of these modern gamers prefer unfortunately and there's not much favor for aesthetics so long as the dirt and trees render realistically.

Dragon Crown will definitely be a fun sight to see just how sites respond to it when to comes to reviews when it comes to both the sexualization and the art. I imagine it'll get better scores on being an action game rather than an RPG, though, which the general audience can get into more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7