• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
No...Neptunia just doesn't have good graphics. That's just a fact. The character designs are good but in terms of technical skill Compile Heart games are really low tier. Not that that's a BAD thing but it's true.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Actually, yes, the 3D in-game graphics for the first Neptunia game are pretty crap. Actually the whole "RPG" part of the game is clunky and frustrating - feels like a sluggish, clunky version of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise from a generation prior. It's totally possible to be the target audience, "get" where the creators were coming from, and still acknowledge that what you get is a mess.

A shame to hear TIME AND ETERNITY is a waste of a great concept. I'd toyed with the idea of pre-ordering the Fancy Pants edition, but wasn't sold on the game footage (though I applaud it for trying something different, at least). Sounds like I missed a very attractive, experimental bullet this time...

(For the record, I've bought both translated Neptunia sequels. I hear the game play gets better - if it can make those parts fun instead of a total slog, I'm in for everything else.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It hasn't got good reviews even on RPG sites like RPGamer and RPG Fan.

Neither did Neptunia or other similar 'moe anime' RPGs with sizable fanbases. Just because they're RPG sites and may like parental approved kid-friendly Ghibli adventure like Ni No Kuni doesn't mean they still can't switch to think-of-the-fictional-children mode when they see other anime games with fanservice and stuff. Being an 'RPG site' makes no real difference in that regard.

Oh c'mon people are being too exclusive. So now it's not just about dudebros. Only people who could criticize Hollywood blockbusters are those who like action and lots of explosive violence, and watch Transformers get good reviews every time. There has to be a limit. A game has to work in the genre it's in; the aesthetic is just veneer and sometimes red herring. That's the focus. (Those sites give the extensive Atelier and Tales of series good reviews BTW, so no, just being moe or anime-ish is not an apologist make.)
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
No, the goal posts have to be moved. Soon these games can't be reviewed by anyone, because no ones opinion is objective enough.

But it's funny, I rather read a review from someone who isn't some super diehard fan, because they probably will be more fair then that who would basically forgive every flaw because the character has red hair and that's cute plus a popular voice actor voices her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
No, the goal posts have to be moved. Soon these games can't be reviewed by anyone, because no ones opinion is objective enough.

But it's funny, I rather read a review from someone who isn't some super diehard fan, because they probably will be more fair then that who would basically forgive every flaw because the character has red hair and that's cute plus a popular voice actor voices her.

What makes reviews pertinent or useful is reviewing based on expectations of the fanbase and execution. In other words, someone who wants to like a game and what it intends to do, but finds flaws reaching that idealized intent. See superdry (and my) quote below.

The objective portions of a review are areas are such things as gameplay, animation quality, mechanics, etc. Subjective opinions, which are heavily influenced by bias, are such things as:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
the fanserivice is tasteless and creepy(which of course would be a good reason to dock the game,

Todd wrote:

For one thing, the two heroines rarely get past stereotypes. Red-haired Toki is a pleasant, reasonable royal, blonde Towa is a temperamental brawler who occasionally drops her guard, and it's no surprise when the game ties them both to insipid fantasy-wife fulfillment. Meanwhile, Zack plays the part of the pervy dullard in one of those anime comedies seemingly written by and for 12-year-old boys who want to see naked women without entirely understanding why. It's a strange mixture of the risqué and the chaste, right down to our hero hatching wet T-shirt fantasies about the woman he's going to marry.

Time and Eternity leads nowhere interesting, as time-travel clichés are exhumed and dull supporting characters flit in and out. There is a germ of novelty in the idea of two minds struggling to control one form, but it's never explored beyond a sexist fantasy of getting two wives for the price of one.

What you are suggesting would actually move the goalposts--analogous to getting a someone who mostly listens to country to review a hip-hop song, or vice-versa. Or getting a feminist to review male-oriented fanservice titles, and so forth.

As someone who has followed this from the beginning and am disappointed, let me requote superdry's thoughts:
superdry wrote:
configspace wrote:

That said, having not played the game yet, but seeing and reading about it, and following the hype, I believe some of the criticism after filtering out the hyperbole. This is my take:
Pros:
- anime aesthetic and story
Cons:
- clunky, limited, repetitive animation
- clunky, very limited mechanics, limited environment, boring gameplay

As someone who has played the game before the US release (I own the JP version and it's pretty straightforward to play without needing to be fluent in Japanese), I can agree with this. Do I find it fun? Sure, even though some of it bugs the hell out of me. Is it rough around the edges? Yes, quite rough...the game certainly needs some more polish. It's a great concept that I hope, one day, another one can be made on a better budget.

Animation - I like it even though its clunky. Reminds me of old SEGA CD games like the opening of Popful Mail or Time Gal. The lip-syncing problem is pretty funny though (dunno if NISA fixed that in the English dub). I do agree that the limited number of animations can get rather boring.

Gameplay - Sure it's repetitive (a lot of games are repetitive though - interesting/good gameplay does ease on that) and I can see why some people can be turned off by it. The battle system is pretty neat, but they can be longer than what they should be which can be annoying (why do I have face 4 of the same powerful enemies with attack patterns that extend the battle?). The skills system isn't bad though.

To me, the game has an old-school charm to it. I grew up on RPGs so I can look past the flaws and enjoy it since it's pretty traditional just with a sort of modern coating on it.

In other words, you don't like a game due to: reason X and Y.
I don't like it due to reason Y too. But I like it due to reason X.

Reason Y is something that is mostly objective, something that can be reasonably evaluated independent of personal biases. It is something that you can rationally debate to a large degree. Reason X is not because it is subjective. These are things that are polarizing, where one person's "Pro" is another person's "Con". Our two minds will NEVER meet on reason X.

And that subjective reason X can have a greatly different weighting on the review. Since that subjective reason X will always vary, a review that is pertinent to some games' or any media's intention--who it's designed to appeal to--should then be done from the perspective of the expectations of that target audience and how well it is executed based on that intent, for the review to have any real utility.

I say utility because in order to satisfy for example, Kotaku (and other like minded reviewers) with a game like Dragon Crown, to address their criticism would be to transform the game itself, defeating a significant portion of its intent, of its design goal or purpose. Such a review has NO utility.

It doesn't dock the game based on execution, but rather docks the game based on intent. And the people who are served by Kotaku's review will not buy the game regardless, unless the entire design changes, therefore these kinds of "let's dock or heavily pan some media because I find A, B, C offensive" wind up being a useless review (at least without filtering such hyperbole out).

Now, you can actually objectify such things and even make the fan-oriented review useful to non-fans by very concisely stating upfront, something like: "for those who are offended by A, B, C, this game is not for you", then move on the meat of the review.

Last edited by configspace on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Do you not understand that we don't know how NISA allocated the print run or how large it was?

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the LE, which 1) Can't be bought from another retailer and 2) Did sell out at their store before the release date.

Sure, you can still get new copies of NISA games from other places, but their LE stock selling out is likely a good indicator for NISA. Maybe not it terms of a general release, but with the gamers they are trying to reach.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the LE, which 1) Can't be bought from another retailer and 2) Did sell out at their store before the release date

Both the LE and RE were sold out at the NISA store (but the RE is widely available elsewhere).

Ranma824 wrote:
Sure, you can still get new copies of NISA games from other places, but their LE stock selling out is likely a good indicator for NISA. Maybe not it terms of a general release, but with the gamers they are trying to reach.

Without knowing how many LE they made, it's not very useful. If they made 500 copies, for example, that's not very good even if they all sold out. Especially if they expected 10,000 RE copies to sell. I'd be highly surprised if they made the same amount of LE copies for every title (again, we don't know). And to make it clear, my point is not that Time and Eternity bombed but that we don't know how it did and won't know until NISA said otherwise. If you want to defend the game, defend it on its merits--not by drawing conclusions from insufficient information about its sales success.

configspace wrote:
It doesn't dock the game based on execution, but rather docks the game based on intent. And the people who are served by Kotaku's review will not buy the game regardless, unless the entire design changes, therefore these kinds of "let's dock or heavily pan some media because I find A, B, C offensive" wind up being a useless review (at least without filtering such hyperbole out).

Has it ever occurred to you that these reviews help readers decided that title x is not, in fact, for them? Now personally, I took one look at the design aesthetic in Dragon Crown and ran the crap away as it clear was not for me. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't have bought Neptunia or Cross Edge had I paid attention to reviews prior to preordering (I basically pre-order any JRPG that NISA puts out). The idea that a review should only provide the perspective of those who will end up liking it is silly (and I say this as someone who does not generally find much value in reviews).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Has it ever occurred to you that these reviews help readers decided that title x is not, in fact, for them? Now personally, I took one look at the design aesthetic in Dragon Crown and ran the crap away as it clear was not for me. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't have bought Neptunia or Cross Edge had I paid attention to reviews prior to preordering (I basically pre-order any JRPG that NISA puts out). The idea that a review should only provide the perspective of those who will end up liking it is silly (and I say this as someone who does not generally find much value in reviews).

For these types of games, you likely know if you are the target audience way before any review you read. No matter how glowing a review is, if you hate fanservice and cute anime girls you'd avoid the Neptunias and Time & Eternitys since they are aimed a niche demographic. Thats why for stuff like this the only reputable reviews are people IN that niche demographic since everyone else will hate it regardless.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
For these types of games, you likely know if you are the target audience way before any review you read. No matter how glowing a review is, if you hate fanservice and cute anime girls you'd avoid the Neptunias and Time & Eternitys since they are aimed a niche demographic. Thats why for stuff like this the only reputable reviews are people IN that niche demographic since everyone else will hate it regardless.
What you're ignoring is that it's entirely possible to be in the demographic that likes cute anime girls and still hate a specific game. Which is why the same rpgamer reviewer who was criticized earlier for their time and eternity review gave the arland trilogy such high scores. Personally, I've been looking forward to time and eternity since it was announced in Japan. However, everything I've read makes it sound like zac is the worst male lead since lyner from ar tonelico. While I do have some friends that really enjoyed the combat aspect, they have been many other issues raised that make me wonder if I bought a dud. not liking a specific game about cute girls doesn't mean you hate the genre.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
What you're ignoring is that it's entirely possible to be in the demographic that likes cute anime girls and still hate a specific game. Which is why the same rpgamer reviewer who was criticized earlier for their time and eternity review gave the arland trilogy such high scores. Personally, I've been looking forward to time and eternity since it was announced in Japan. However, everything I've read makes it sound like zac is the worst male lead since lyner from ar tonelico. While I do have some friends that really enjoyed the combat aspect, they have been many other issues raised that make me wonder if I bought a dud. not liking a specific game about cute girls doesn't mean you hate the genre.

I don't deny there may be quite a few people who do like these types of games that don't like it as well... I've seen reviews from people in that demographic who don't like it. Some games in this niche I don't like myself, including Agarest War and Ar Tonelico. But when someone starts complaining about "Generic Anime Art", "Pedophile pandering" or "Tasteless fanservice" is when the review becomes kinda useless to people who are actually in this niche.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
It's a shame this game is kind of being kicked to the curb. The whole graphic concept reminds me of Beyond the Beyond only difference is that it's more slick but BtB was a better game.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
This game has the most generic modern anime art style I've ever seen. If I saw those characters designs in a new season preview chart I'd immediately resolve to not watch it.

Edit: I just watched a video of this to see what Todd was talking about with the animation, and dear God it looks hideous. It's like watching a super low-budget zero-effort anime that's been converted into Flash, circa 2005.

When I saw some initial screen shots a while back I was very excited, since while I loved the cut scene animation for Ni no Kuni it was a disappointment that there wasn't more of it and the rest of the game was all CG rendered.
It's a shame it just doesn't seem to have worked as an actual game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aldora07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
It applies similarly to Dragon's Crown (see Kotaku and other like minded sites) and likewise here. One needs to filter out Todd's entire anti-fanservice paragraph--something that again, would be seen as a Pro rather than a Con--to get to pertinent criticisms.

No his point was that the Sorceress was completely unnecessary and retarded. She wasn't even hot, god damn, just grotesque.

Your dick doesn't need to be satisfied every second to enjoy a game. At the very least, Neptunia's characters are sexually attractive.

What!!!??? Really!!?? I think that sorceress is hot as HELL !!!!! Shocked She is one of the hottest bitches ever!!! I heard of Time and Eternity when it was released in Japan and have had interest in it since then. Knowing that this game has fanservice, moe, wives, a harem and a bad review from ANN tells me this is a game for me Very Happy
LeonardRhine82

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Thats just plain stupid.

So... "this game is commercially aimed at me... so i have to buy it no matter how bad and crappy it is"? And ... the only valid reviews are those writen by people who say yes to the previous question?

I can't understand how people think they need to defend games with arguments like "it has X element, so i am one of the few who is able to apreciate it, and every review is bad and unnecesary".

Some companys should stop trying to make good games, its clear that for some people just adding some troopes justify 70$ and a good review.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote
I liked Neptunia in spite of its manifest flaws, but I would not expect people who aren't interested in the concept or the characters to look past them.

Each successive game has improved, both in gameplay and graphics. Victory is actually pretty damn good, especially considering how far it came from the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7