• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Risky Viz-ness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Most of the series I have gotten from them have been hit by this (Inubaka, hikaru no go anime, neuro (not getting the manga), cross games, children of the sea, and others).

However lets be fair a lot of the above are not that popular and reborn and gintama might be very strong japanese titles with small US presence (I saying this as a detective conan/case closed fan). there is very little chance these are actually breaking even probably. that said they should release what they have translated digitally at the very least.

I actually understand what they are talking about with neon alley and what they wanted it to be.

EDIT: I am sorry I did not know that you no longer had the liscnese for monster.

Except Case Closed is still being released manga-wise. As for Reborn and Gintama, in Gintama's case, I can take a guess it was too much money to translate and didn't sell enough to warrant the translations.

But in Reborn's case, a large amount of the fandom refused to buy it because of the shoddy translations, from things being translated entirely different than the original dialogue, to messed up names and bad puns. They treated it with no respect and because of that, they get no respect from me.

If they license something I want? I'll import it so no money goes to them, because more than likely, the story and characters will be changed due to translations anyway. Oh unless the name is Naruto, Bleach and One Piece...but then again, they even censor their big money makers too, so basically everything under Viz is screwed. And judging from these posts, I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'm sorry Zac, but I just can NOT listen to these podcasts. You guys all smack your lips and say "Uhh" and "Ya know" WAAAAAY too much. I can barely make it through 5 minutes of that annoying stuff before wanting to take a drill to my temple. Mad

In the future, could you perhaps be a little more conscious of stuff like that? Please? Sad

The show isn't scripted. There will be uhhs and umms, period - it's how people talk in unrehearsed conversation. I edit out pauses, pauses that start or stop with an umm, but that's all I have time for. Sorry it isn't to your liking and that the cadence of the show makes you feel like murdering yourself, I guess.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Viz no longer has Monster? Great, let us celebrate. I hope a company who actually gives a shit releases it in the near future. I would love for Rightstuf/Nozomi to release Monster.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know that I'll never buy or preorder anything from Viz until it is released in full. Luckily they haven't released anything that I'm interested in since Monster, so I doubt that'll even matter.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, well I only listened earlier up to after the spiel about Tiger & Bunny cause that's all I had time for and was going to finish it later but I don't think I can. I already called bullshit three times within the first twenty minutes (although I probably could had said it more) so I don't really feel like listening to more of the same.

First bull was them saying that they respect all of their titles and want to give a quality product. I understand that Viz hasn't prioritized anime in the past and is only now just starting to refocus on releasing anime but that doesn't erase that they treated past titles like crap by stopping halfway through their physical release. (This practice is still in effect for its manga division so what stops it from continuing to do so with its anime too.) Not to mention the dvds/blurays come in pretty crappy cases and the subtitles are ridiculously small.

Second bull (well more of a nit-pick then bull) was the bit about showing Gargantia to your mother. Overall it's a good show but the otaku baiting in episodes five and six would be eyebrow raising to anyone not use to watching anime. I sure as hell would never show my mom. At that point it felt like I was listening to a salesmen pitching his new product (which I guess technically he is but any one listening to this cast probably already knows about it so it wasn't necessary to say that generic pitch-line from a 1950s door-to-door vacuum salesman.)

The third bull was about the delay in the release of T&B. You cannot tell me that the delay was entirely because Viz waited so long for someone to pick it up to broadcast and not because Viz wanted to have it streamed first on Neon Alley. If that were the case then the dub of T&B and Inuyasha the Final Act for that matter would have been released before they were streamed not after when their first halves were finished on Neon Alley. The same can be said for T&B's second half. How convenient for Viz. That's not to say I think it's Viz's fault T&B didn't get picked up by somebody like Toonami. I would love for it too, but I don't think they should blame them for the delays. That's ridiculous.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate Zac and the ANN crew getting employees from Viz on for an interview. The industry-focused podcasts make for some of the most engrossing ANNcasts in my opinion.

Still, it's a shame about Monster. I watched a bit of it on TV, didn't get around to buying the 1st Set from Viz at the time. (Yes, I'm one of those people.) It just goes to show you, if you really want something, get it sooner, not later. I do find it strange that Viz payed for the entire show to be dubbed, and yet couldn't continue to put out the rest of Monster in a cheaper, barebones DVD set to at least recoup some of the localization costs. Then again, I'm not a business major.

Maybe the show will find a new American distributor within the next couple of years...
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'm sorry Zac, but I just can NOT listen to these podcasts. You guys all smack your lips and say "Uhh" and "Ya know" WAAAAAY too much. I can barely make it through 5 minutes of that annoying stuff before wanting to take a drill to my temple. Mad

In the future, could you perhaps be a little more conscious of stuff like that? Please? Sad

So you don't like hearing normal, everyday speech?
Surely you never have done this in normal conversation.

Do you throw down the grammar hammer towards every podcast you listen to?
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah man, if I knew this was happening, I probably would have asked some Twitter questions for once. Might as well post the questions here in case anyone from Viz is lurking.

Why are titles rated 'Mature' with a bunch of warnings and shit still censored?

Why is it different translators decide how to censor things? Ex: One translator tries to keep Bakuman clean, but then random volumes have gratuitous, scanlation-level swearing.

(Also, did anyone else listening to the podcast notice all the Skype noises?)

Last edited by partysmores on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, Zac and Lance, it's because I suffer from a hearing disorder called Soft Sound Sensitivity Syndrome, or "4-S" for short. What it does is make me extremely sensitive to sounds like smacking, sniffling, throat-clearing, etc. and causes me to become incredibly irritated and angry whenever I hear them.

Unfortunately, it's not something that can really be treated, and there is no cure. It's simply not possible to "get over it" or "get used to" because most of it is mental. Yes I do hear it in everyday conversation, and it bothers me just as must there too. I know I make those sounds myself as well from time to time, but I try my best to be conscious of it and do my hardest not to. Really the only thing I can do is try to ask people to please be conscious as well and try to to make those sounds.

What really hurts, though, is when I try explaining this to people, and they simply cannot understand why I don't just "deal with it". I CAN'T. I literally CAN'T. It is impossible for me to deal with or tolerate noises like that at any level. It's not something I'm proud of, not at all. I wish this wasn't the case. But it's well and truly something I simply can not help. The only thing I can do is either wear my ear buds which play a constant stream of white noise into my ears every single day, or grit my teeth, shake my head, snarl, and walk away from the person doing it. There are literally no other options.

Tomorrow I'll be going to see Pacific Rim in the theater. It'll be the first time I've been to a theater since The Avengers. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wear my ear buds throughout the entire film just so the various noises from the other movie-goers don't drive me insane.

So, does that answer your questions, Lance? Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
All I'm hearing from these guys is "blah blah blah marketing speak – suck our vizdicks" far worse than any other company reps you've had on. Maybe it's just me and some bias influencing that opinion though, most of what Viz gets isn't stuff I'm interested in, but their Neon Alley venture makes them open to picking more than just your WSJ neverending stuff, like Rinne no Lagrange or T&B.

Good luck showing your mom all that underage booty dancing in Gargantia.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
I appreciate Zac and the ANN crew getting employees from Viz on for an interview. The industry-focused podcasts make for some of the most engrossing ANNcasts in my opinion.

Still, it's a shame about Monster. I watched a bit of it on TV, didn't get around to buying the 1st Set from Viz at the time. (Yes, I'm one of those people.) It just goes to show you, if you really want something, get it sooner, not later.

It's a hard sell to put the burden completely on the consumers. Licensing is always a risk for them to take. I'm one of those that also waits for a complete set first. You wouldn't want to be burned after all, like this and Yawara from AnimeEigo, Gintama, Eyeshield 21, Glass Mask from Sentai, etc

Quote:
Maybe the show will find a new American distributor within the next couple of years...

I hope so. I think it could do well with the right marketing

partysmores wrote:
Ah man, if I knew this was happening, I probably would have asked some Twitter questions for once. Might as well post the questions here in case anyone from Viz is lurking.

Why are titles rated 'Mature' with a bunch of warnings and shit still censored?

Why is it different translators decide how to censor things? Ex: One translator tries to keep Bakuman clean, but then random volumes have gratuitous, scanlation-level swearing.

Well, that's Viz for ya. Anime department is a bit different though. However, one common trait in both their departments that annoy me is why Viz, UNLIKE ALL OTHER publishers embeds warning labels into the front cover itself? Seriously, WTF is up with this cover?

Now let's compare with say, Majikoi: Front cover w/ discs + Back cover
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Seriously, WTF is up with this cover?

Ha. I bet that the third Berserk movie's gonna have like ten warnings on it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't seem like anything was really gained here, just 60 minutes of the same PR. I don't blame Zac, but still...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of warning labels, I do have one question:

What the HELL was so "mature" about LaGrange that it had to be labeled for mature audiences only?

There's no graphic violence. There's no direct nudity. There's not even any bad language.

There's a little bit of fanservice here and there. That's it. And even it's nowhere near the same level as something like Sekirei, Ikki Tousen, or even Negima for that matter. The worst offender is Lan's uniform, but she goes for long periods of time where she's clothed normally as well, especially in the later half of the series.

So yeah... What's up with the M-rating on that one? Confused
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow I was expecting to see some viz hate but this is kinda silly. Were you guys seriously expecting them to say something like their anime division is crap? Of course their gonna act like their perfect on here. This is kinda pretty much a PR thing. I'm not saying they should be totally forgiven of past stupidity but they've been doing surprisingly good lately and I think they should be given at least SOME credit for their recent improvement.

On the note of sales from while they probably had unrealistic expectations back then its pretty nuts some people really think they expected Naruto and BleAch level sales from everything. Death Note and Vampire Knight might have been around there but you're on some serious stuff if you think Nana or Honey and Clover sold that well and those got completed releases.

Maybe it's just cause they dont do this stuff often enough but it's sad to see so many complaints over old stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7