• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Risky Viz-ness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I concede that while I was glad to hear from Viz and learn a few explanation, it did feel like the guests had their public relations shields at full. I know that's part of their job and true of most active industry guests, but they felt really obvious about it and it doesn't encourage my confidence. I think that at one point Ms. Ingram described the staff at Viz as, "dynamic." This might just be my cynicism getting aggravated, but that word mostly signals to me that there's going to be a lot of fluff and nonsense ahead.

And I plain just don't trust enthusiasm and cheeriness.

The story of Tiger & Bunny was weird. I was right along with everybody else in thinking that it would be great for Adult Swim. I never seriously considered it 'mainstream', but it seems like it might be a more accessible title, suitable for something that has a wider audience. That they were holding it back from DVD release makes Viz seem very different from most anime companies, whom I struggle to imagine keeping a product unavailable for so long for the benefit of a hypothetical television run.

I'm not surprised that they don't have the Monster license anymore. I'd noticed it vanishing from streaming services, which is a shame, because it's great and I liked the English dub. I really enjoyed watching it on AniMondays week-to-week, but at the time I wasn't really interested in anime, so I didn't even think of buying it. By the time I had regained my interest fully, it felt pretty clearly that the release was a lost cause, so I never felt like it was worth my bother to buy it. I hope that some other company rescues the license, although I have a nagging feeling that it might not be the easiest or cheapest to get.

Of course, the real question is whether they still have the license to Key the Metal Idol. (I think that it could be a fine Nozomi or DiscoTek release)

I don't have any real animosity toward Viz. In part because I think that the fury that some people show toward companies is pretty ridiculous. Also because the only anime I've bought from them are SaiKano and the aforementioned Key the Metal Idol. (Although I credit them enormously for putting a great [i]Galaxy Express 999 dub out in the nineties, even though I own the DiscoTek release) I have some manga from them, but not that many; Vertical is more my style.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
So, does that answer your questions, Lance? Sad

Well, yeah, and I can empathize, but you didn't play fair here. Given how often people have taken even the lamest excuses to berate Zac and ANN for being unprofessional or incompetent as well as the general habits of the internet, it wasn't unreasonable for people to write your complaint off as you just being kind of an entitled jerk. You didn't put your complaint in the appropriate context up front.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:10 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Mass consumers, casual consumers; they still want on demand because it gives them control. Linear is fine for absolute casual exposure, but why not also have on demand with it? The argument sounds like it's one or the other.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

If they license something I want? I'll import it so no money goes to them, because more than likely, the story and characters will be changed due to translations anyway. Oh unless the name is Naruto, Bleach and One Piece...but then again, they even censor their big money makers too, so basically everything under Viz is screwed. And judging from these posts, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

People still say this. It's obvious when people don't know what they're talking about when things like this are said. Let's count how many series they've finished and are still doing that aren't Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece. But they cancelled Reborn! so those three must be reason. Just because your not only one who feels this way doesn't mean it's correct. Yes they have drop some anime in the past. They still do in the manga division but it's a business. Come up with any excuse you'd like but it's a bottom line. They're not only company that does it either. So shouldn't be a good thing that you have a VP for a company acknowledge their mistakes and brought in someone to rectify it?

Charlene Ingram's influence is clear. It's seems people are so hurt from tittles dropped in the past and can't see the improvements being made.
staab99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast, I am glad Viz did answer the question regarding Monster, it's a shame, I bought it the first day it came out, but that show is hard to sell. Hopefully someone will pick it up! Smile

I was surprised no one brought up any Saikano questions! Razz
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I'm not saying they should be totally forgiven of past stupidity but they've been doing surprisingly good lately and I think they should be given at least SOME credit for their recent improvement.

Don't you know who you're talking to? Once anime fans start hating on a company it's nigh-impossible to get them to forgive & acknowledge, even when the proof is blatantly obvious, and if you try to defend them you're called out on being, essentially, the reasonable one. Hell, Media Blasters still gets made fun of as being a company that can't their release out on time, even though they haven't had a major delay for at least the past year. If anime fans can't accept that MB is actually getting stuff out on time then there's no way in hell they'll accept that Viz is actually getting their anime out completely, even though both cases have been true for a good amount of time already.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
That was like sitting through a 3rd quarter board meeting with Zac as the skeptical investor they were trying to get on board. Except that Charlene was really, really excited! Smile

Still it's good news that Monster is out of their hands now.

But there's no way I'd ever buy a series longer than 26 episodes from Viz again until it's completely released. That may be an iterated prisoner's dilemma, but Monster was the last time I let them burn me. I get what she was saying about "opening weekend," but Viz has to understand that they've made the bed they're lying in now, and it's going to take a few long series fully released (that aren't Naruto or Bleach) to undo the damage to their reputation they inflicted on themselves. That's business too.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

But there's no way I'd ever buy a series longer than 26 episodes from Viz again until it's completely released. That may be an iterated prisoner's dilemma, but Monster was the last time I let them burn me. I get what she was saying about "opening weekend," but Viz has to understand that they've made the bed they're lying in now, and it's going to take a few long series fully released (that aren't Naruto or Bleach) to undo the damage to their reputation they inflicted on themselves. That's business too.

That shouldn't be a problem given those types of series are rare now adays. Long running shows are not made that much anymore. But given Honey and Clover, Nana and how Nura is selling they've already released shows longer than that recently.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac try to get David Williams on the Next Podcast like to hear what he have to said about sentai filmworks, hey he might be the only person willing to talk to you guys, like to listen to that
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
An interesting podcast to say the least. Good to see that Viz is now opening up that extra little bit.

In all honesty though, I find the whole Tiger & Bunny situation strange. I don't blame Viz for it, but I find it odd that every possible broadcast candidate would just turn their nose up at it.

Glad to see they finally came out and said the license to Monster has expired. Now that we know that we can get to putting pressure on other licensors to picking it up and finishing it.

I for one would welcome a Ranma 1/2 Blu-Ray release. I think it would be a slam dunk what with their manga division reacquiring the series.

I'm also starting to wonder if Neon Alley will force Viz to acquire more anime in the next few months. I can't imagine grabbing new anime from third parties Is going to get any easier.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
But given Honey and Clover, Nana and how Nura is selling they've already released shows longer than that recently.

Nura's first season is only 26 episodes, and the second half isn't on the shelves yet, nor is the second season even started releasing.

Nana is only 47 episodes, but that was released back in 2009, so Monster's aborted release was concurrent. In other words, Nana isn't a title to show me they've changed their ways.

Likewise Honey and Clover. The first series was 26 episodes and they released that at the end of 2009, and the next 12 episodes weren't much of a risk after that, but even if they'd stopped there, the first season got a full release.

So yeah, if they only pick up short series, it's not an issue. But I won't buy anything longer until it's all released because they haven't consistently proved a longer title will ever all be released.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
But given Honey and Clover, Nana and how Nura is selling they've already released shows longer than that recently.

Nura's first season is only 26 episodes, and the second half isn't on the shelves yet, nor is the second season even started releasing.

Nana is only 47 episodes, but that was released back in 2009, so Monster's aborted release was concurrent. In other words, Nana isn't a title to show me they've changed their ways.

Likewise Honey and Clover. The first series was 26 episodes and they released that at the end of 2009, and the next 12 episodes weren't much of a risk after that, but even if they'd stopped there, the first season got a full release.

So yeah, if they only pick up short series, it's not an issue. But I won't buy anything longer until it's all released because they haven't consistently proved a longer title will ever all be released.

You said shows with more than 26 episodes. I gave you three recent ones. Honey and Clover had two seasons they're the same show, not two different ones. So about 38 episodes. Shouldn't Nana being completed around the same time say more about Monster just not selling well? And according to WTK Nura's second season might be coming later this year.
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Most of the series I have gotten from them have been hit by this (Inubaka, hikaru no go anime, neuro (not getting the manga), cross games, children of the sea, and others).

Just a quick correction. Children of the Sea wasn't cancelled. Volume 5 came out in the US this year on June 18. ANN says it was released in Japan in 2011 while Wiki says the Japanese release was 2012. Either way, there was a few years' gap between the fourth and fifth volumes even in Japan so the delay for the English version is partly due to that.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mysty wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Most of the series I have gotten from them have been hit by this (Inubaka, hikaru no go anime, neuro (not getting the manga), cross games, children of the sea, and others).

Just a quick correction. Children of the Sea wasn't cancelled. Volume 5 came out in the US this year on June 18. ANN says it was released in Japan in 2011 while Wiki says the Japanese release was 2012. Either way, there was a few years' gap between the fourth and fifth volumes even in Japan so the delay for the English version is partly due to that.

Viz released the last Children of the Sea volume 11 months after it came out in Japan (the delay between releases was due to Igarashi taking a hiatus on the series to finish other work). The Cross Game manga was also completely released as of November 2012, and their Children of the Sea release has one of the best presentations of any North American manga license.

As others have said, recent history and facts don't mean much if fans have been spurned in the past (see also: CMX and Tenjho Tenge... which Viz has released completely uncensored as of February 2013).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Dark Mysty wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Viz released the last Children of the Sea volume 11 months after it came out in Japan (the delay between releases was due to Igarashi taking a hiatus on the series to finish other work). The Cross Game manga was also completely released as of November 2012, and their Children of the Sea release has one of the best presentations of any North American manga license.

As others have said, recent history and facts don't mean much if fans have been spurned in the past (see also: CMX and Tenjho Tenge... which Viz has released completely uncensored as of February 2013).

I was refering to them doing a subbed only release for the cross game anime, and I now need to add the newest childern of the sea release to my cart excuse me.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Bonham wrote:
Dark Mysty wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I was refering to them doing a subbed only release for the cross game anime, and I now need to add the newest childern of the sea release to my cart excuse me.

We don't even know if they have rights to distribute Cross Game. Just the streaming rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7