• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Risky Viz-ness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I should have asked a twitter question. Does Viz still have the license for the Full Moon anime? That is their only dropped anime title I still really want to own now that we know they don't have Monster anymore. I bought the first Monster set when it came out. I will buy the show if anyone else releases it. I actually want Full Moon even more though because it is a personal favorite.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I doubt many Adult Swim viewers are female so it loses out on a majority of its audience

I think you're wrong, but it doesn't matter since AS has decided its target demographic is males 18-34. If those guys don't watch a series, it gets the boot regardless of who else is tuning in.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah wrote:
I should have asked a twitter question. Does Viz still have the license for the Full Moon anime? That is their only dropped anime title I still really want to own now that we know they don't have Monster anymore. I bought the first Monster set when it came out. I will buy the show if anyone else releases it. I actually want Full Moon even more though because it is a personal favorite.

The Hulu streams for Full Moon are going to expire on August 26th. I'd assume that's when Viz's license will expire too.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I could see Tiger & Bunny being a hard sale. I doubt many Adult Swim viewers are female so it loses out on a majority of its audience, and despite being about superheroes it's more of a jab at them with all the corporate selling-out and product placement.

yeah, i think they said their audience is 18-30s male too.
I always thought Tiger & Bunny's target audience is 18+ female, so it doesn't make sense to put it in AS. They make the right decision to not put that anime in AS.

Hypeathon wrote:

When you think of something like Tiger and Bunny, that's only 25 episodes, I can see why Adult Swim may have felt reluctant to pick it up, at leas at the time. Now that's not to say Adult Swim doesn't ever want shorter shows so as long as they think they're decent (yeah, I know.

that's BS, they pick up SAO, most people in here consider it as a horrible show.

Edit: maybe viz should try to get Accel World into AS block instead of Tiger and Bunny.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kirben

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I would like to know what's going on with Blue Dragon. That show's situation is worse than Monster's (at least that had UNCUT DVDs).

The first 24 episodes of Blue Dragon were released uncut on DVD in the UK by Viz Media, and distributed by Manga Entertainment. But that was years ago, and I doubt we will see anymore.

The complete first series of Blue Dragon has only been released in English on DVD in Italy, which seems to be the cropped and edited dub version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
The Hulu streams for Full Moon are going to expire on August 26th. I'd assume that's when Viz's license will expire too.

Thanks! Well, I guess it never did sell well, so I won't get my hopes up for anyone else to get it, but I would surely buy it if it did become available.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:
I would like to know what's going on with Blue Dragon. That show's situation is worse than Monster's (at least that had UNCUT DVDs).

At least the uncut version's up on Hulu. So it won't break my heart if it never comes to DVD--because I really don't like that show. Razz

Yes, but it's in Japanese. Viz and Studiopolis dubbed the WHOLE FRANCHISE uncut, but only released the edited Cartoon Network version of the first 13 episodes to DVD (in 3 singles no less). They dubbed the whole franchise uncut, and they hardly do anything with it. The English version of the second season was only broadcast on Cartoon Network Pakistan. At least Australia got the whole first season broadcast (even if it was edited).

The dub of Season 1 is on iTunes (I presume the uncut), but still no season 2. Viz has hardly done anything with those 50 episodes they paid Studiopolis to dub. Many didn't even know they were dubbed until they turned up on CN Pakistan. Did THAT cover the $500,000+ it took to pay for that dub?

However, us fans of the series/game (and diehard Akira Toriyama fans) would really love to see the show given the attention it deserves.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

When you think of something like Tiger and Bunny, that's only 25 episodes, I can see why Adult Swim may have felt reluctant to pick it up, at leas at the time. Now that's not to say Adult Swim doesn't ever want shorter shows so as long as they think they're decent (yeah, I know.

that's BS, they pick up SAO, most people in here consider it as a horrible show.

Edit: maybe viz should try to get Accel World into AS block instead of Tiger and Bunny.

You don't think after you read something before writing about it, do you? Because I'm very, certain I said something that you skipped over when you quoted me.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
You don't think after you read something before writing about it, do you? Because I'm very, certain I said something that you skipped over when you quoted me.

After looking at the anime shown on Adult Swim (not counting original Toonami simply because the list didn't seem to include it and that was a different timeslot/demo anyway), and counting double 26 ep season shows as one show (Code Geass, GitS) about 50-60% of the anime shown on Adult Swim has been 26 episodes or less. I think that's a little more than "sometimes". Also, isn't 26 episodes a NORMAL American season length? I can fully understand demographic concerns, but saying T&B was passed on due to LENGTH is ridiculous.

I would also point out that in your example Jason said he was "worried" about the length of shows that were already picked up to run on the network, I don't see how that implies AS bases buying decisions on show length, if anything, it implies to me that Jason DeMarco has/had little to no say in the PURCHASING decisions, and his corporate positioning implies same: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/biz/cartoon-network-promotes-jason-demarco-to-vp-of-strategic-marketing-promotions-61849.html
If anything, I can see from his job role why HE would want longer series because it's easier to build promotions and branding around an existing property rather than needing to continuously re-position for NEW shows. (which seems to be in line with what you are saying he said, but that's more of a MARKETING (which is his job) issue than a PROGRAMMING issue)
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz and Studiopolis dubbed the WHOLE FRANCHISE uncut, but only released the edited Cartoon Network version of the first 13 episodes to DVD (in 3 singles no less).

Out of curiosity, did the uncut dub keep the show's original score?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I finally got this listened to and it was worth weighting in Smile . First, good podcast! It was nice hearing from Charlene and Brian and I wish it could have been a longer outing. I hope they come back again soon. My thoughts on the Monster situation: I thought what was said on this subject was as frank as I'd heard on the subject and I appreciated it (note: as frank as anyone in a corporation is going to get, just in case someone comes back in the thread thinking they should have said more than they did). For those who think VIZ didn't try and do Monster justice when it first came out, I'm going to say I think you're wrong. I remember when that got released and the original box set got a lot of push at the time and even made it onto Wal Mart shelves - one of the last real boxsets that came in a real box to do that. More importantly, Viz managed to get Monster a TV run on SciFi, something that should be remembered as a very important marketing coup at the time. However, the fact remains that the DVD's didn't sell what they were expected to sell and Viz felt it couldn't afford to put the rest of the series out in physical media form. Was it VIZ's fault? In the end yes but there were other factors involved as well that lead to a "perfect storm of bad" happening to this title. In a way that's what Brian was talking about when he said they tried their best but the people at Viz at the time had a lot of behind the scenes fighting on how to handle what happened. Since the initial release went so bad, the title is dead to the markets VIZ sells it stuff to, which is what Charlene was alluding to (which my paraphrase would be your initial run is important and if it doesn't go well, you and the show are burnt toast). I'm happy VIZ finally realized that if they can't market the show, they need to let it go to someone else. Monster isn't completely dead to the U.S. market thanks to that SyFy run and the potential upcoming live action version on Showtime and someone like Nozomi, Sentai, or Discotek might be able to re-release it with better results. Remember they tend to market to a slightly different retail market than VIZ does and that might be a re-release of the shows saving grace. Still, a very important thing I took out of this podcast was that VIZ knows they've made some blunders with the hardcore anime fans and are trying to fix things. Whatever corporate strategy was going on at the time the Monster issue happened is in the past. VIZ is trying to fix its issues and also work with the fans better and it's time for everyone to move on. I personally am not going to tell anyone not remember the past and act accordingly - I personally don't forget the past, either. However, I do acknowledge change and filter and mix all my information together. I had noticed VIZ was trying to change things prior to this podcast (Brian's dates gel with mine - about two years ago is when things started to change) and I keep it all in mind when I think about buying stuff from VIZ. BTW, whoever brought up the need for VIZ to put Signs and Subtitled OP/ED - thanks! VIZ does need to do something about that, at least with the signage issue. It drives me a bit crazy when I'm watching Nura: Rise of the Yoki Clan and they don't translate those backgrounds. It's obvious we're suppose to read whatever is said behind the characters but of course non-Japanese readers like myself can't Mad.

Tiger & Bunny on AS/Toonami: Ok this was a section of the podcast where I was left confused and a bit dumbfounded by Zac. Zac, were you playing devils advocate here or what? You seemed lost at the idea Toonami didn't want Tiger & Bunny but it's obvious to me why they might not. Just because a show seems to be a perfect fit for bringing in new fans doesn't mean the powers that be at a TV network are going to feel the same way. The main reason I can think of for Toonami not picking up Tiger & Bunny is it doesn't look like anime as Toonami sees anime looking! Think about the shows they have on visually and think about Tiger & Bunny. The latter has a very Western look to it compared to the former. T&B visually has more in common with the Marvel Anime shows that aired on G4 and that alone could be the problem (I always got the feeling that AS didn't want to be compared with the G4 Anime block). That said, other posters have pointed out that the people who run Toonami are not the buyers, so that's also a factor. Another factor is how much VIZ is asking for the show and what sort of budget Toonami has at the moment to acquire new materials. Even if VIZ has the show priced decently it still could be too expensive in the eyes of AS/Toonami, as well as not fitting into their idea of what they want the Toonami block to be. Next, AS/Toonami has problems with Mecha anime. Neon Alley seems to be doing OK with it but cable isn't - who really knows why on that one. Then there was the entire issue of the state of AS at the time Tiger & Bunny was first solicited. That I think is a issue that played into things. At the time T&B first came over, AS Action was about to be canned and anime was about the leave the block. Then the old Toonami crew pulled that April Fools stunt, it did well, and they took over. The blocks been doing better but I don't think they're totally out of the wood yet. Tiger & Bunny, like Monster, has become a casualty of a changing market. Unlike Monster, I think VIZ does still have a chance of getting the show on someplace and it sounds like they feel that way as well (i.e. unlike Monster, it wasn't a total bomb, perception wise by the physical media market, out of the gates). Now to the thread question of VIZ holding T&B for TV longer than they should have - yes, I believe them! That's always been the way it worked in the past and while it annoyed the h*ll out of me, like most others, I understood what was going on. I also understood that the model was no longer valid as well and it was harming the show and that made me even more upset. However, VIZ, prior to Neon Alley being an outlet, didn't have any other system to use (yet) and we, both VIZ and the fans, got scre*ed over by this Rolling Eyes . I keep bringing up changing markets here like a broken record but when you really think about what is going on that is a big part of the problems on the last two subjects. Things are changing so darn fast at the moment it's confusing everyone from the anime distribution companies right down to the fans Sad .

Neon Alley, Standards and Practices (i.e. Mature warnings) and Gargantia is a what??? Laughing : I'm tired of talking the changing market, so all I'm going to say about NA and that issue is Zac, Brian isn't crazy on that subject Smile . As to Neon Alley and their commercials - Brian, I don't consider professional wrestling and those really weird electronics commercials (XGears? Hispanic couple pushing stuff - looks like they are off cable access in California or something) as exactly anime related. With the latter commercial - those things wouldn't get past my areas S&P ever! Seriously late night type of commercials (the one I saw yesterday the guy brought up turning adult toys on and off with his iPod!). What age groups is Neon Alley actually rated for, anyway? It brings us to a nice segue into age ratings (i.e. Standards and Practices - the name for it on FCC run outlets). For those in the thread who are upset by VIZ's warnings, you should really go check what most anime shows are rated on the boxes. Funimation's shows are almost never below a 17+ these days, even shows that came out as 13+UP under Geneon Confused . The world has become a much more conservative place in the last twenty years. Most Anime fans are immune to fan-service and violence unless it's extreme but most shows really are quite racy by general U.S. standards, particularly for those buying physical media outside of the coastal areas. All of the companies are simply covering their rear ends from potential lawsuits from upset buyers who don't know what they're buying for their eight year olds unless they have been pre-warned. Actually, the issue of age ratings and Anime would make a good ANNCast episode and/or a roundtable convention panel discussion. I'd love to know more about the what and why on why stuff is getting rated the way it is particularly why older stuff is getting re-rated and the specific issues people have brought up that has made the companies change things. I know each company does their own ratings these days (I don't think real TV S&P usually comes into play) and I'm not too sure this hasn't come up in a past podcast several years ago but it could use another podcast IMO.

Now as for Gargantia being a gateway show and Brian's mom would like it comment - hahahahahha! Brian, I get what you are meaning but the poster who mentioned the skimpy outfits made me laugh because they were right. Your mom probably would be OK with that - mine would have been, compared to a lot of current Anime shows. However general audience mom is say Colorado (I'm really just tossing a random state out here), might not be - particularly if they never saw the more questionable stuff first. Also there's the episode of Gargantia with the transvestites plotline - yeah, I'm not sure that would fly with some of the LGBT community would think of that one Shocked . I don't know what your mom would think but my mother probably wouldn't have thought much about it due to her age, had she been still alive. She's have probably seen it as a Flip Wilson/Geraldine/cultural difference on the issue thing, which dates both of my mom and myself verse your average parent today's view (they probably don't remember who Flip Wilson is Sad ) . As much as I enjoyed Gargantia and actually do think it would work on TV with some editing, it sadly isn't a perfect "gateway" show.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:
Viz and Studiopolis dubbed the WHOLE FRANCHISE uncut, but only released the edited Cartoon Network version of the first 13 episodes to DVD (in 3 singles no less).

I don't know. You'll have to ask the people who got the Manga UK boxsets. Razz Even still, it's no big deal for me, as long as no footage was cut (which it wasn't). I believe it did keep the music, but I'm not 100% sure.

I would check iTunes, but I'm not sure if it's edited or uncut version.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:

I don't know. You'll have to ask the people who got the Manga UK boxsets. Razz Even still, it's no big deal for me, as long as no footage was cut (which it wasn't). I believe it did keep the music, but I'm not 100% sure.

I would check iTunes, but I'm not sure if it's edited or uncut version.

The itunes one is the edited version.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
^ Shit, well, what did they make the uncut dub for? DX Other than what was released in the UK, most of it has just been sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
@MeggieMay: holy wall of text Shocked

since I think you were referring to my reply to partysmores and a couple things afterward in the discussion, I'll just touch on those. That's where I mentioned Viz is currently the ONLY anime publisher to embed the warnings into the cover itself, like: Nana's Front cover
-vs- other publishers:
Majikoi: Front cover w/ discs + Back cover
In case you were wondering what Majikoi was about, mouseover these pics (nsfw). Notice the rating on the back cover Wink
...likewise for Motto To Love Ru: Front cover w/ discs + Back cover

Kanokon, Queen's Blade 1,2, Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny are rated 16, btw and not adults-only. But even for all the other titles rated TV-MA, like Seikon no Qwaser (nsfw), there are no warnings either. None at all, neither front nor back, other than a rating, from all the other publishers. The same applies to live action. Notice there's no warning on Game of Thrones or any other show or movie.

In any case, the ratings are all privately done and differs by publisher. Many movies on home video are also labeled as "UNRATED", like Eyes Wide Shut (nsfw) as can be verified on Amazon. But Viz goes in the opposite direction of other publishers many times, being overly conservative, like SpacemanHardy mentioned about Rinne no Lagrange... or Accel World or Strawberry 100% or I''s, being TV-MA--I mean seriously, Viz? Notice the restriction when you try to watch Strawberry 100% or I''s or Magi Ep 5 on Viz (Hulu). Now compare that to watching Queen's Blade on Media Blaster's site or Eyes Wide Shut above.

Their approach caries over from their manga department. (Speaking of which, notice how Seven Seas rates Vampire Bund as T, but is able to leave it completely uncensored and without sullying their covers with silly large warnings) The Neon Alley service, like their Mature series on vizmanga.com is hard 18+. By "hard" I mean non-bypassable restriction (Crunchyroll uses a "soft" restriction)

I bet Nura Season 2, set 1 on home video will also have the Mature Warning label in the front cover, unless they decide to leave it censored like it is now on vizanime, and who knows if Viz will do the same to Magi in Europe where they have the rights.

Technically the FCC is not involved. It only has legal power over public airwaves, meaning terrestrial broadcast TV and radio. In fact, the only time technically, any law applies is in obscenity (but in that case, ratings do not matter anyways) But some private parties censor or restrict various media when they are not required to due to various perceived pressure or playing it safe with audience. CNN censors nudity and f-bombs even though it does not have to, for example. However, things are admittedly more nuanced since there is actually political pressure which I won't get into here, as well as the usual populist, prudish pressure from some conservatives, progressives, and soccer-moms against such things. Dragonball caused controversy and Viz censored that. Both the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime and manga had their publication halted subsequently censored due to Egyptian/Islamic protestation. Most Japanese are concerned about saving face and almost no Japanese company, which Viz is, stands up or pushes back like George Kamitani of Vanillaware did for Dragon's Crown

Last edited by configspace on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7