• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-11-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Zakuro1208 wrote:
I also entered for the first time with this one. ^^a

Ditto here. This is the first time it's been something I've wanted but didn't already have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:
I feel bad for Zach and all the star wars captions he's going to have to read.

...crap, and I thought my caption was original <_<
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster, first time caption contest entrant.

Mine was (and I already know it sucks, so I don't need reconfirmation):

(the one on the left, no clue as to her name): *sigh* The things we do for our fans...

(the one on the right, clueless on name also): To hell with the fans! Have at you!

If I win, great. If not, oh well. Good luck to all of you. Free anime is good.

-Sailorneorune

It isn't bad I think it's actually pretty funny. Makes me think of the movie Sparticus with the Gladiators and Sparticus not really wanting to fight or kill the so-called enemy...though I'm pretty sure alot of you might not have seen this movie. Good roman movie just too long in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
This week's caption winner was so funny! How can people be complaining?? It's refreshing and took me completely by surprise. Kinda had an Upright Citizens Brigade feel to it. Anyway, good job to the guy who won. Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

Edit: Corrected for grammar

Last edited by Cloe on Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
This week's caption winner was so funny! How can people be complaining?? It's refreshing and took me completely by surprise. Kinda had a Upright Citizen's Brigade feel to it. Anyway, good job to the guy who won. Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

What is a upright citizen brigade? (sorry if it's a well-known thing lot of things I don't know of it seems)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
v1cious wrote:
that was the funniest submission you could come up with? with all due respect that is the worst entry since this constest started.

I thought that was a pretty damn funny one actually. It came out of left field, you really wouldn't expect something like that. Much better than mine which was probably submitted by 1000 other people as well.

And much funnier than mine because I couldn't think of one.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Cloe wrote:
This week's caption winner was so funny! How can people be complaining?? It's refreshing and took me completely by surprise. Kinda had a Upright Citizen's Brigade feel to it. Anyway, good job to the guy who won. Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

What is a upright citizen brigade? (sorry if it's a well-known thing lot of things I don't know of it seems)

The Upright Citizens' Brigade is an improvisational comedy troupe from Chicago (via NYC). The group has become famous nation-wide in the U.S. through appearances on Comedy Central. They've been touted as an American equivalent to Monty Python.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
remember love wrote:
Cloe wrote:

The Upright Citizens' Brigade is an improvisational comedy troupe from Chicago (via NYC). The group has become famous nation-wide in the U.S. through appearances on Comedy Central. They've been touted as an American equivalent to Monty Python.

- abunai

Oh...never heard of them...Probably because I don't watch Comedy Central much anymore most of the jokes I've seen on there are just well losing it for me.South park was fine for a while then I guess just grew out of it, never liked Dave Chappelle (I think that's how you say it), hated blue collar, drawn together just plain don't like there were a few good jokes in it because of all the "reality" tv shows which I can understand the joke but just didn't come to me, and the rest I never bothered to watch...I'll watch some movies taht come on comedy central though...Office space, buellers day off, stuff like that(though I love office space) but guess comedy central fell away from me. And again this another example of how comedy and me don't get along...god there should be a sitcom on me not understanding alot of jokes and then coming up with crappy ones.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
this is sorta off topic... but i was wondering why this article is only on the side bar and not on the main page with all the updates and news...
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
this is sorta off topic... but i was wondering why this article is only on the side bar and not on the main page with all the updates and news...

It's on the main page for me because I set my skin to Kanpeki na Ao unless I'm wrong about it being the skins but I think that's the reason. Just go under the interactive on the left hand side and click on skins and you can set the skins to whatever you want. But I see the topic on right above all the news at the very top of it all.
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the English misspellings within animes - what I don't understand is why at some points a word is spelt right and then in later scenes, you may see the same word but this time spelt wrong.

Example: Neon Genesis Evangelion - "Emergency" and "Emargency" both show up multiple times each
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xyex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
Regarding the English misspellings within animes - what I don't understand is why at some points a word is spelt right and then in later scenes, you may see the same word but this time spelt wrong.

Example: Neon Genesis Evangelion - "Emergency" and "Emargency" both show up multiple times each

I know that for older series at least you had multiple people working on the animation. And even if the mistake isn't the result of another animator spelling it wrong one someone else got it right before, it's easily possible they just typoed. Hell, I'm native to the English language and I couldn't live without a spell checker. x_x

Anyway, I got a quick question about the caption submission. Is all we need to include the caption or should we include our names as well? (Only asking since I've been seeing the names of winners but some e-mail services put that in the info automatically.) Gonna go with the assumption we do for now, while I go off and submit mine for the week.

p.s. Hooray for first posts! Cool
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

It's on the main page for me because I set my skin to Kanpeki na Ao unless I'm wrong about it being the skins but I think that's the reason. Just go under the interactive on the left hand side and click on skins and you can set the skins to whatever you want. But I see the topic on right above all the news at the very top of it all.

i don't think its that because i'm on the default skin .. i meant its on the side bar where it says what are the new columns and editorials / annoucements ,etc.
but not in the middle where it has all the new news is posted (agh i don't think that made sense)
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
i don't think its that because i'm on the default skin .. i meant its on the side bar where it says what are the new columns and editorials / annoucements ,etc.
but not in the middle where it has all the new news is posted

That's because Hey, Answerman! is a column... not a news item. All regular columns are located on the side bar: Sound Decision, Shelf Life, Edit List, Answerman, etc. That's just how the site is. Even with the different skins, these items are separate from the daily news. (I normally go straight to the side bar when I open the site, acutally... ^^; The news is great but I love the columns/reviews more.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kaleido Star...masterpiece...

I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for attributing the word to a marvelous title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3