• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Fist of the North Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote
The original anime series of Hokuto no Ken is simply a classic that every anime fan should watch at least once the whole way through. The further it gets into the story, the better the series it gets, especially once Raoh is introduced. It really picks up steam after the first twenty episodes and keeps the momentum going for all 109 episodes.

The series adapted more of the manga in Hokuto no Ken 2, but the series tried to somewhat reinvent itself at this juncture, to mixed results in my opinion.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Lolack wrote:
I love hokuto no ken

I got into fist of the north star cause of the new TV series that was released back in 2005 along with Guyver.

though i liked the old movie, the original TV series unfortunately left something to be desired. and worse is that just like bastard , no manga company is willing to release it cause of its hyper violent nature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I think Fist of the North Star is one of the few ultra-violent anime properties that has found an audience in the U.S., even if it is a niche audience. I've noticed more positive comments regarding Fist of the North Star than negative in recent years. Back in the early 90's, it was just another example of how anime was more violent than American cartoons. The movie was most anime fans' exposure to the franchise, and its condensed plot and drastically-altered dub script made the movie confusing as hell for newcomers, so for some people, it was little more than violent schlock. Fast-forward to the late 2000s and early 2010s, Discotek has released the entire series and the movie on DVD, and they're still in business. Perhaps exposure to the TV series, which placed significantly more emphasis on the manly tears and friendship than the movie, has contributed to this?

Also worth noting is the fact that Manga Entertainment also gave up on the show after the Amiba episodes, which is not long after the part of the manga where Viz gave up.

It's too bad they couldn't afford to keep translating the manga, as the manga is probably the best way to experience Fist of the North Star. The artwork is consistently better than the anime, which was notoriously low-budget, and its early filler problem isn't as bad as the TV show's (e.g., an episode with a church bell that hypnotizes people and brings headless corpses back to life).
RWGibson13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
::sigh::

Nice to know that, even after all these years, folks on this side of the Pacific do indeed remember.

http://hokutonofogie.blogspot.com/2010/03/time-off-to-count-cajuns-photo-fame.html#comment-form

RWG (thanks to Jeff Blend for the email to this excellent article...just another I owe you)
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why with all the supplementary OVAs and what not, there has never been an attempt to adapt the last few arcs of the manga.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
I wonder why with all the supplementary OVAs and what not, there has never been an attempt to adapt the last few arcs of the manga.

Recent FotNS products have barely acknowledged the stuff covered in the FotNS2 anime (i.e. the post-Raoh story except for the last couple of volumes), so adapting those very last parts of the manga is essentially never going to happen. The most we'll probably ever get is New FotNS, which takes place after the manga, references Raoh's son Ryu once & that's it.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Shin Hokuto Musou did cover the later bits.

jr0904 wrote:

I got into fist of the north star cause of the new TV series that was released back in 2005 along with Guyver.

though i liked the old movie, the original TV series unfortunately left something to be desired. and worse is that just like bastard , no manga company is willing to release it cause of its hyper violent nature.

You have to be the right kind of person to enjoy the original TV series' filler. I think the main reason why Bastard!!'s release stopped was the same reason Fist's release stopped: they just didn't sell well. We did get several volumes of Bastard!!, though.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

It covered up through what the anime covered. I was responding to the idea of adapting the last few mini-stories that happened in the manga after the Shura Arc, which have remained manga-only & the only adaptation that even acknowledges them to any extent is the New OVA.

Quote:

You have to be the right kind of person to enjoy the original TV series' filler. I think the main reason why Bastard!!'s release stopped was the same reason Fist's release stopped: they just didn't sell well. We did get several volumes of Bastard!!, though.

I think Bastard!! initially sold well, because the first five volumes were printed twice (large flipped versions, followed by unflipped second editions), but as time went only so many people, like myself, were still buying new volumes. I just hate how Viz solicited Volume 20, and even showcased the cover art(!), but then never released it.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Really? I thought Borg/Bolge was in the game. They still didn't add the Ken and Ryu bits?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
GVman wrote:

It covered up through what the anime covered. I was responding to the idea of adapting the last few mini-stories that happened in the manga after the Shura Arc, which have remained manga-only & the only adaptation that even acknowledges them to any extent is the New OVA.

Mostly because they're not very good I assume. Even Hara and Burosan were both done with the franchise after Kaioh (they were done with it after Raoh as well). But executive mandates being executive mandates, the series continued in a really awkward way. Kenshiro was simply unbeatable at that point, and the series attempts at dancing around the fact that he could make any villain's brain explode much easier than Kaioh were painful.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
LMAO at the Fist cake, that made my day
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
FotNS Rules! Also the art is amazing!

Great Artical Jason!
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
This article is amazing, and I really enjoyed reading.

I think one of the things that spoke well to me was that I didn't honestly feel Raoh was truely evil. He was trying to bring back peace, with force. Before his final fight with Kenshiro, he goes in to the ranks of his army, and personally slaughters anyone he thinks may raise hell, just in case he loses to Kenshiro.

The build up to their fight was just purely well done. The stuff with both Rei and Toki; masterful. The fact that Raoh himself shed tears after the fight with Toki said all you needed to know about him.

Looking at it from another perspective, Kenshiro and Raoh where two sides of the same coin, and thats why Raoh as the antagonist worked so well in this series. Their connection made it that much more real.

I have so much of the merchadise released for this its not even funny. My crown jewel is the imported Super Premium Box. The series is fantasticly presented in it.

I pretty much eat up anything released for this series. It makes me greatly happy that I recommend it to my friends these days, and they only need to load up Hulu to watch it. This series is so much more accessable these days.

I wish the recently released seasons had an english dub on them, past what ADV had done. The voice cast for Ken's Rage was simply phenominal. Everyone was so well done.

Even today I can read some manga or watch some anime and see FoTNS's legacy. In Naruto, for example, the Hyuuga clans martial arts focus on hitting the points as well, and the creator admitted he was inspired by FoTNS and Dragon Ball.

Personally, I feel that both those series inspired most of what came after, and that legacy is something thats hard to match. The last mention I specifically saw was in Bakuman, when they mentioned how popular it was back when it first came out and then took off. Its popularity could even rival that of Dragon Ball.

Someday the west will get all of Fist of the North Star. I really believe that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
GVman wrote:

Quote:

I think Bastard!! initially sold well, because the first five volumes were printed twice (large flipped versions, followed by unflipped second editions), but as time went only so many people, like myself, were still buying new volumes. I just hate how Viz solicited Volume 20, and even showcased the cover art(!), but then never released it.

SO did I.

Though Viz did released the large volumes of Tengo Tenge. so it might be possible they could give fist of the north star and especially bastard the same treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3