• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Death And Rebirth Of Answerman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for 5 years of columns, Brian (I also can't believe it's been that long already!). I've always enjoyed reading them and learning more about this crazy industry we all love so much.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Godspeed, good sir. I really did enjoy these weekly moments of clarity.

EastN3 wrote:
On a seperate note, did that guy really say that R+V had the best animation he'd ever seen? He must only watch J.C. Staff shows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcxpbhM0DaA
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for doing a great job these past five years.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all your hard work on the column these last few years. I've always enjoyed it. Um... are you taking over another feature, or are you leaving ANN entirely?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Five years already? Blimey.

Not really surprised that Justin is taking over, he was already regularly fielding the more difficult questions.
RaccoonGoon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually post, but I just want to say, "Thanks Brian, and good luck in the future."

And wow, five years? It doesn't feel like it's been that long...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I guess you did a whole column full of nothing but "Flakes of the Week" to make up for their nonexistence for a long while now, huh? Whelp, glad that I didn't waste an evening coming up with one last letter this past week. Laughing

Thanks for doing a more than wonderful job taking over from Zac, Brian! And further thanks for answering at least a handful of letters from me; your responses were consistently helpful and entertainingly written. Good luck with future endeavors in writing-- especially with that being a field I may seriously jump into in this post-college life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
It's been a good run. Happy trails, Brian.

Even I'm surprised of any show it's Rosario+Vampire people kept asking about. While it was a fun enough show I definitely prefer the manga. The anime stayed as a romantic comedy while the manga dove into shonen action territory.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Given that "when will you be releasing Rosario + Vampire Season 3?" usually pops up on Funimation's facebook page 4-5 times a week, that question is probably fairly accurate. Although that question pops up less lately due to them getting asked about DBZ: Battle of Gods movie. Really wish someone in Japan would just say there will be no season 3 due to Capu2's sales bombing, so that it would stop getting asked.

To Brian, good luck in the future. It probably wasn't easy dealing with some of those questions.

Last edited by tangytangerine on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Good luck Brian. I always enjoyed your Answerman and The Click! even when it was the same shows over and over again and you had to desperately search for new ways to talk about them.
Minoru-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the memories Brian, it was nice reading you. Good luck in your future endeavors.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How did Rosario Vampire seasons sell in Japan? No one cares what Westerners think or petition.

Risario + Vampire's first season sold about 5000 per volume, which was just enough to get it a second season.

However, the second season sold around 2900 per volume, a fairly large drop and not enough for a third season.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Cough LWA Cough

Let's break LWA's profits down to BD sales to see how it would stack up to Japanese otaku sales.

As of right now LWA has generated $419,385 USD. Convering that into Yen gives us about 42,000,000. The average BD volume retails around for maybe maybe 6500 Yen. One cour of anime will usually have 6 volumes in it, which totals around 39,000 Yen for an entire otaku sale.

If you divide the 42 million by that and assume you would get the same amount of sales rather than the number being inflated due to it being a donation, you would total around 1000 per volume sales. That is considered a huge flop and would never fund another season of a show.

LWA only works because they asked for that much money for 15 minutes of animation. The west might be able to pay for 15 minutes of animation, but expecting them to fund a whole cour like the Japanese otaku do is out of the question. The LWA kick-starter would have to reach about 2 million to break the Manabi line. And unfortunately, given how many people donated larger figures like 10K to balance out the 3 dollar donations, I don't think they would make as much as they did even if they sold BDs, because most people aren't going to buy multiple copies just to fund it, so in actuality I think BD sales would be far lower than the kickstarter amount, not when the initial investment to even contribute to a show is actually 6000 yen, the price of a new video game essentially, not a dollar.
Iudicium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GaZRjT71X8&feature=player_embedded

I never stop laughing when I see this
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Five years, huh? Yeah, that feels about right. Good luck, man. See you out in the Interwebs.
terminus24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Brian, I think you posted those questions wrong. I'm pretty sure they were supposed to all read:
Quote:
When is a halfway decent adaptation of Rosario + Vampire coming out?

Anyways, good luck on that Kickstarter, zombies seem to go well with pretty much anything these days. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8