• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Names Mattel Master Toy Licensee for Naruto

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd love me some Naruto action figures. ^^ (I am a consumer whore) Although Mattel makes me think of Barbie. Naruto and Barbie coming from one place- a chilling notion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I'd love me some Naruto action figures. ^^ (I am a consumer whore) Although Mattel makes me think of Barbie. Naruto and Barbie coming from one place- a chilling notion.

From what I've heard, any non-Barbie toyline from Mattel ends up well... not going anywhere.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Jadress wrote:

From what I've heard, any non-Barbie toyline from Mattel ends up well... not going anywhere.

Didn't Yu-Gi-OH! do well? I remember seeing a ton of kids running down the sidewalks with their little action figures from that...

Anyway, it's good to know I won't have to import any action figures of Naruto from Japan Anime dazed.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Are mattel known for their quality and detail in their works? I don't want to see a Ken doll in a naruto costume.
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
You people do realize that Mattel has made alot more than Barbies in the last few decades.

Maybe the Dark Knight and four turtles come to mind?
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I forgot they were the company behind Ninja Turtles toys! Well, Barbie is just what they're most well known for. They're a successful toy company in general.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
NightHedgehog wrote:
You people do realize that Mattel has made alot more than Barbies in the last few decades.

Maybe the Dark Knight and four turtles come to mind?

I thought Playmates have the license to ninja turtle toys now?

Turtle Talkie
Air Ninja Figure
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe that Toynami, they people who do the Inu-Yasha action figures, also are producing some Narauto figs and toy statues.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
ehh...

i usually think that toys from companies like this tend to look cheesy (or at least their ads do.. )

will this stop me from buying imported japanese figurines? proabbly not =D i doubt they're going to make any of the chibi naruto characters in my viva naruto keychain set

they'll proabbly target different type of toys .. like kids action figures with the gimmick-y shooting abilities

we'll most likely have a naruto figure that shoots shurikens..
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised McFarlane Toys didn't get the License.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:27 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I am wrong (and I tend to be a lot these days, SHUT UP), but didn't 4Kids also give the Toy rights for One Piece to Mattel? There are no toys from them in that regard, though that can be blamed on the fact that One Piece totally failed.
Demaar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:16 am Reply with quote
Ugh, Mattel? Horrible choice, if you ask me. They really don't know how to market anything outside of barbie and movie lines, in my opinion. The reason the new Masters of the Universe line flopped was because of poor marketing decisions. I'd go into detail, but then I'd have to go re-find and re-read stuff...

Edit>>
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Mattel made He-Man toys. The last He-Man toyline went nowhere thanks to Mattel's awful distribution.

Steven is right; Mattel's non-Barbie toys tend to go nowhere.
Ah, beat me to it. Yup, distribution had a large role into the new MotU line too.
If you ask me, Hasbro seems to have their **** together, keeping Transformers a profitable line for the past 21 years. There's their Star Wars toys, too. Wondering why these companies don't go to them....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
DELETED. UGH.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

For the most part, yes. The only toy lines that have actually proved successful in recent years has been Yugioh, Megaman NT (though only moderately when compared to other toy lines on the shelves, just enough to stick around really), and Batman/JLU/DC which has been extremely popular.

DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Anyway, it's good to know I won't have to import any action figures of Naruto from Japan Anime dazed.

Don't count on Mattel's figures to be of the same quality as the former Bandai figures in Japan. Expect limited articulation and lots of gimmicks. It would be nice to have a couple figures with static poses like their JLU figures or super articulated (like ToyBiz's Marvel Legends figures), but I'm not very optimistic.

darkhunter wrote:
Are mattel known for their quality and detail in their works? I don't want to see a Ken doll in a naruto costume.

That depends. Some of their figures are OK, others are outstanding, and others more are just crap. It's very hit or miss with them, but if the [url=http://www.fourhorsemen.biz/]Four Horsemen[/quote] are involved in the sculpting (the talented group of freelance former McFarlane sculptors that sculpted nearly all of the 2K line of He-man figures and current "Staction Figures" (statue action figures) and several of the DC comic figures (non animated), and many other jobs for Mattel) then these will be pure gold in detail and paint (though maybe not articulation since it isn't always the sculptors who put in the articulation).

Jadress wrote:
They're a successful toy company in general.

Number one in the world.

Dranxis wrote:
I believe that Toynami, they people who do the Inu-Yasha action figures, also are producing some Narauto figs and toy statues.

Toynami is only producing collectibles such as statues, book ends, and replicas, but no toys.

shirokiryuu wrote:
i doubt they're going to make any of the chibi naruto characters in my viva naruto keychain set

Not those specifically, but there is a chance of them making their own SD naruto figures as they are doing so with Zatch Bell figures, albeit just the Momodos.

Quote:
they'll proabbly target different type of toys .. like kids action figures with the gimmick-y shooting abilities

we'll most likely have a naruto figure that shoots shurikens..

"Believe it!"

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I'm surprised McFarlane Toys didn't get the License.

I'm not, not after two failed attempts at "Japanese Animation" figure lines (though they did give us the best sculpted Vash figure to date, IMO). They really don't have any interest in anime figures any more and their figures wouldn't be able to handle the harsh play kids would want out of them.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong (and I tend to be a lot these days, SHUT UP), but didn't 4Kids also give the Toy rights for One Piece to Mattel? There are no toys from them in that regard, though that can be blamed on the fact that One Piece totally failed.

That, along with Yugioh, Shaman King, and Winx Club. Yugioh and Winx appear to still be somewhat popular, but Shaman King was DOA with very poor distribution. I imagine One Piece will follow the same fate as Shaman King, the figures will be made, but few stores will sell them.

Demaar wrote:
If you ask me, Hasbro seems to have their **** together, keeping Transformers a profitable line for the past 21 years. There's their Star Wars toys, too. Wondering why these companies don't go to them....

Hasbro likes to play it safe and do as little licensing as possible. Most of the lines they deal with now are lines that they actually own (such as Transformers and GIJoe), or ones that are guaranteed to turn a profit (Pokemon and Star Wars). These are the same people that gave up their DC Comics license to the stiffest competitor, Mattel.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Hasbro has been impressive with Transformers (TFs only went under for a few years due to ridiculous gimmicks overtaking the toys and a lack of Optimus Prime).

That's debatable. The cartoon suffered from a lack of Prime, but the toys still had Powermaster Optimus Prime and Actionmaster Optimus Prime to the end. Personally I believe it was just due to dwindling interest in the US in general not any one thing as the toys still remained popular in the UK and even more so in Japan.

Quote:
However, they have their faults as well. By packing Alternator (kind of TF) assortments like they do, they keep stores from ordering the ones they need.

Every box of Alternators will have, as an example, 2 Shockwaves, 1 Tracks, and 1 Sideswipe. Now, if Tracks is selling, and Shockwave isn't, then... The store will be loaded with Shockwaves, and will be unable to order more of Tracks without getting MORE OF SHOCKWAVE. Thus, with the shelves full of Shockwave, the store then stops ordering more Alternators alltogether, and distribution gets messed up.

Not to mention they also had a habit of taking figures that were extremely popular and only pack them one per case and in a single "series" (such with Tracks), while not-so-popular figures would see more than one release (such with Swindle).

Quote:
Fortunately, Wal-Mart has helped Hasbro to fix this problem (strange, I know) by encouraging them to have separate cases. Case 1 = 4 Shockwave, Case 2 = 4 Tracks, etc. Then, the store just orders the particular case that they need. The fix will apply early next year, or so.

Yep, and I believe they're also allowed to order custom cases with whatever figures they want (such as 3 Tracks and a Meister), but I don't see most Walmart buyers knowing enough about the product to actually take advantage of that.

Quote:
Something tells me that the above problem and not correcting it is the main reason (or just one of the reasons) Mattel's new MOTU (I usually just call it He-Man like I did as a child) line went under. The stores would, after all, get full of one particular figure, and thus refuse to order more until the current stock sold out (which wasn't happening).

I also suspect that Mattel may have been sending out older cases instead of newer ones, should a store order a case, in order to clean out their stock of older ones. Does any of this make sense? I'm not the best at describing this sort of thing.

That, and ridiculous repaints that served no other purpose but to take up space on the pegs and in cases (purple, orange, and black Skeletor? What?). Unfortunately by the time Mattel figured out what the problem was the damage had already been done and most people didn't even get to see the Snake-men series in person or the super cool rotocast figures.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2