• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Bizarre Anime Mascots

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
sunflower01 wrote:
Now is it a bacteria or a fungus? Biologically speaking, those would be kinda different.

It's a mold, and molds are fungi. Smile

As for mascots, the first thing that popped into my head was that heavy, white blob beast that lies around on Anemone's bed in Eureka 7. No idea what it's called. So I wouldn't put it on the list, but it's just what I thought of.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Where the heck is Elizabeth from Gintama?! Just check how weird it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_em98p_s4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTbO6CmaFA It's been about 40 volumes and we still don't know what is that.

Yes we do. They had an entire arc revealing what Elizabeth is.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The wierdest anime mascot in my mind has to be Mimi the nuclear missile from Mitsutenaide Daisy! She even did seal tricks straight out of sea world!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The wierdest anime mascot in my mind has to be Mimi the nuclear missile from Mitsutenaide Daisy! She even did seal tricks straight out of sea world!

Aha hah! LOL I completely forgot about Techno's pet nukes.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Pet missiles! Normad from Galaxy Angel!

Happy to see pokutes leading the list. (Older series need love, too.)

I think the cats from Aria--especially Aria himself--would fit. Not only is he the company's mascot, but also its president!
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
sainta wrote:
Where the heck is Elizabeth from Gintama?! Just check how weird it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_em98p_s4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTbO6CmaFA It's been about 40 volumes and we still don't know what is that.

Yes we do. They had an entire arc revealing what Elizabeth is.

But they didn't spoiler[That wasn't the actual Elizabeth. Sorachi was just trolling us.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
& no mention of the fairies of jinrui wa suitai shimashita?

come those faces, voice, sweet craving, etc really what kind of fairies are they
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for mascots, the first thing that popped into my head was that heavy, white blob beast that lies around on Anemone's bed in Eureka 7. No idea what it's called. So I wouldn't put it on the list, but it's just what I thought of.

Gulliver is its/his name, and that's what came to mind for me for the list as well. Coralians creations aside, there were no other abnormal creatures, so Gulliver's ambiguity just stands out. Then again, I also can't remember any normal creatures in the series either, no dogs or cats or birds or anything...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
To those who haven't seen Bennett the Sage's online special series Go Nagai Month, it is freaking hilarious and a genuine recommendation.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy with this list, yeah its sort of weird that Chiyo's father isn't on here and that Kodomo no Omocha's Babbit isn't in this one, but I love that the Pokute and Puchu's are in it! Very Happy
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Nadare Xizos wrote:
Wouldn't Menchi be the mascot for Excel Saga? She certainly appears in the series more than the Puchu. o.0
I was thinking the same thing. The Puchu were the "nemesis" of the series so labeling them as the mascot is IMO as odd as it would be to name Cel the mascot of his saga in DBZ.

Also, ADV made Menchi merch but I don't remember them pushing Puchus Laughing

Well, it did say "weird creatures with little to no purpose", and Menchi did serve a very useful roll as an emergency food supply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2