• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon XY Anime Footage Previewed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Well Mei/Touko likely didn't appear because of the sequel gimmick of Black and White. If they used Touko then she'd be obsolete once the Black and White 2 games came out and Mei was the female lead. Remember, they used Hikari and Haruka just fine, since they had a third game that didn't replace them.

And I think most of the people in the west who approved of the 'serious Rocket Gang' thing were people who didn't even watch the show anymore. I saw people who went "I dont watch that kiddy crap anymore. Wait, they're serious villains now? I gotta check this out now!". The kind of people who complain about the anime and want it to be all dark and edgy for some silly reason or want an adaption of the Special manga despite no one caring about Special in Japan.

However, the people who were actually watching like always it didn't like the change, as mentioned. I hesitate to say it was a thing western audiences like, since it seems most people who did like it weren't technically part of the 'audience' until it happened and it mostly appealed to people who weren't watching it anymore. Which indeed was a poor move on their part since it alienated a lot of the existing fanbase.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Kinda of a weird doubt standard , which was why they made the rocket gang go back to their stupid selves after the Team Plasma VS Team Rocket episodes . Though its only occured cause the japaneese fanbase wined and compained about it, while the US audience liked the new attitude. but when they reverted back , it went a complete 180. the japaneese audience like them back the way they were but the US fanbase went on an online rampage.

Though i liked the new Team Rocket attitude from the start of Best Wishes , i could definitely understand why they change them back.

It seems that over there the more they Americanized a series , the unhappy the audience over there gets which in a way hurts their viewers ratings. definitely a double standard.

Well, that was an interesting occurrence...
It seems that there's no pleasing people on both sides of the Pacific...
Oh well, at least I'm interested in how the Rocket Trio will portray themselves in Pokemon XY. Smile
precita

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Its hard to believe how long the anime has gone on since the end of the original series. I still remember when Misty left and May was considered the "new" Pokemon girl. That was so long ago now.

Its really so hard to believe since May is like a decade old now and Ash is soon to be on his 5th female travel companion.

I kinda miss the early days when there were only two female companions of Ash's, as soon as Dawn was introduced we all knew she would leave as soon as DP ended and the cycle would continue.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Kinda of a weird doubt standard , which was why they made the rocket gang go back to their stupid selves after the Team Plasma VS Team Rocket episodes . Though its only occured cause the japaneese fanbase wined and compained about it, while the US audience liked the new attitude. but when they reverted back , it went a complete 180. the japaneese audience like them back the way they were but the US fanbase went on an online rampage.

Though i liked the new Team Rocket attitude from the start of Best Wishes , i could definitely understand why they change them back.

It seems that over there the more they Americanized a series , the unhappy the audience over there gets which in a way hurts their viewers ratings. definitely a double standard.

Well, that was an interesting occurrence...
It seems that there's no pleasing people on both sides of the Pacific...
Oh well, at least I'm interested in how the Rocket Trio will portray themselves in Pokemon XY. Smile

Well you cant blame them for changing them back. after seeing how heavy metal beyblade tanked in japan cause they " americanized " it a bit probably scared Nintendo and Game Freak into not americanising pokemon too much otherwise it would put a very bad hit on TV viewership.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
after seeing how heavy metal beyblade tanked in japan cause they " americanized " it a bit probably scared Nintendo and Game Freak into not americanising pokemon too much otherwise it would put a very bad hit on TV viewership.

So the darker personality of Team Rocket was an American idea?
Perhaps that could be the reason why the Japanese side of the Pokemon community was averse to the change?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
after seeing how heavy metal beyblade tanked in japan cause they " americanized " it a bit probably scared Nintendo and Game Freak into not americanising pokemon too much otherwise it would put a very bad hit on TV viewership.

So the darker personality of Team Rocket was an American idea?
Perhaps that could be the reason why the Japanese side of the Pokemon community was averse to the change?

Yes. the darker more serious side was PUSA's doing. not their japaneese counterpart when it came to the best wishes in the hopes of bring fans back to the series. it worked , but only for the US side. while the japaneese fanbase was pissed.

its the exact same thing that happend to heavy metal beyblade zero G. they americanized it a bit , and it did so badly viewership wise that it got canceled in Japan and is now a US only release.

SO i cant blame Nintendo of Japan wanting the rocket gang to go back to their stupid selves when the rocket gang vs the plasma gang eps ended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Yes. the darker more serious side was PUSA's doing. not their japaneese counterpart when it came to the best wishes in the hopes of bring fans back to the series. it worked , but only for the US side. while the japaneese fanbase was pissed.

Ah, I suppose that may explain my witnessing of Team Rocket spoiler[being hurled high into the skies from an old cruise ship by an explosion in the last episode of the N arc]. It has been ages since I've seen that occur.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Ah, I suppose that may explain my witnessing of Team Rocket spoiler[being hurled high into the skies from an old cruise ship by an explosion in the last episode of the N arc]. It has been ages since I've seen that occur.

Exactely. their putting back hijinks that will please the japaneese audience. unfortunately it makes the US audience throw fits.

and all this talk of the series becoming americanized all started since the beginning of best wishes when they used Iris for both the japaneese and english names instead of using Airisu which is her Japannese name in the japaneese manga.

and unfortunately there are some japaneese fanbase that are up in arms again for the X & Y games cause their using Serena for both the japaneese and english name for the female protagonist.

i bet you anything the names for the male and female protagonist will be different for the japaneese manga than it is in the game and anime.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Exactely. their putting back hijinks that will please the japaneese audience. unfortunately it makes the US audience throw fits.

Well, at least the Japanese folks might get to see Team Rocket being sent flying through the air with Pikachu's Thunderbolt...
...or an explosion of some sort. Cool
However, if I recall correctly, I did find that some people over on the U.S. side weren't really thrilled with the change of Team Rocket to being more sinister...

Quote:
and all this talk of the series becoming americanized all started since the beginning of best wishes when they used Iris for both the japaneese and english names instead of using Airisu which is her Japannese name in the japaneese manga.

Interesting...
I don't see why they couldn't have stayed with her Japanese name since the pronunciation of it would be the most familiar to them...

Quote:
and unfortunately there are some japaneese fanbase that are up in arms again for the X & Y games cause their using Serena for both the japaneese and english name for the female protagonist.

It seems that the staff never thought that the name would've sounded "too foreign" for them...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2