• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece And Mew Mew Power Dropped From 4Kids Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Espeon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Well slightly unedited. Like put all episodes in but take out blood and nuaghty bits except nami's boob shots Razz. I enjoyed this series when i watched the 100' or so epi's on Japanese dvd. But 4Kids version is so bad i just wanted to cry Razz
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
If it is, look out Miguzi, you have a new shoujo adventure.

I would actually love that. My TV seems to have a thing about not getting Fox Kids, but Miguzi works fine. Strange. Surprised
Sunny1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
meh thats really werid for them to be taking it out! I mean they haven't even played a whole season, i mean i dont mind One Peice going away, but it disapoints me MMP is going away. The show first got me into the comics -witch are really good- and its totally gonna mess up my scehdual...i wonder what else is on saterday mornings, you see we have really lame cable..like chanalls 1-20..

are they getting red of MMP perminatly?
poweranime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that its another few anime off the air waves... but thank goodness! Running a shop, I can pretty much testify that anybody coming in for One Piece or Tokyo Mew Mew stuff rarely (not never, but rarely) praises the 4Kids work on it... its normally the book reader or the Japanese uncut dedicated watcher who want my keychains, figures, gashapon or plushies... and is some cases, I had people come in and scoff at the stuff just because it is so badly done on TV... I almost think that its tv presentation did more damage to the OP rep than it did benefit. Like what Fox did to Escaflowne...
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Dear god of anime. Please let One Piece and Mew Mew get the uncut anime they disverse and possiblly strike down Al Kahn if nessary. Oh and they premire the new episodes on Toonami and possibly put Mew Mew on another channel! For the love of all anime, let this be their death nail! Amen. (The first and last part was a joke)
Andromeda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
taconinja wrote:
Sure, it's not like I actually watch 4Kids TV, but it's still a shame that anime is being dropped instead of Bratz or Winx Club or whatever. At least One Piece will always (well, ya know) have a home on Toonami. Maybe Tokyo Mew will show up somewhere else someday, somewhere. I kinda liked it..

While I in no way will ever defend Bratz, Winx Club is actually really well done and is very appealing to its target audience of girls.

Girls too young to know crappy cliches and hideous character designs when they see them, you mean.

You mean really YOUNG girls. Older girls tend think it sucks. Because really, it does. At least Sailor Moon had decent character designs (and I feel the characters were slightly less boring, if still cliche, and the plots a little more interesting even if they did have a bajillion filler episodes. Then again, I do have a soft spot for the characters, since it was the first anime I knew came from Japan that I was into, and my first manga or even comic book period). Though god... I wouldn't touch Bratz with a one HUNDRED foot pole. Winx Club is good for a laugh at how bad it is though, and at how much lesbian subtext you can find (I swear it trumps even Sailor Moon in this respect! Have you seen the official site for it's music videos? "Just Us Girls"... oh. My. GOD. Laughing ).

Then again, I also think that uncut or relatively uncut Cardcaptor Sakura would have been the best girl-friendly cartoon to air on Saturday morning. That has the bonus of fitting the SAME demographic as Winx Club (and even Bratz... Sakura probably has way more outfits, think about it), but actually having good characters and a good plot. AND nice character designs, to boot.

If I'm to judge the anime basically by what I saw in the manga, Mew Mew was also cliche, but it was fun because it had SciFi cliches mixed in totally at random with the magical girl cliches and an environmentalist spin. And cute characters. Cliche, fluffy, but fun. It's a shame to see it canceled before I got a chance to catch the anime (I knew I should have taped the thing, argh).

But nooo... we can't get unedited CCS. And they apparently have completely dropped the perfectly cute TMM in favor of it. Rolling Eyes

Between those, Firefly, Tru Calling, and a several other shows I grew attached to just in time to see them - or AFTER they - were canceled... I'm beginning to think Fox has a thing against good shows. I'm frankly shocked that House's managed to stay on the air so long and that they haven't tried to pin it against Desperate Housewives or CSI and saw a drop in the ratings and then canceled it (they've done it before with at least one show). Rolling Eyes

Oh well. There's still the manga versions. And in CCS' case, the DVDs.

Quote:

I watch this every week with my five year old and she adores it. Even better, it has a storyline that runs throughout the entire season so it's not just stupid episodic garbage each week.

Technically speaking, even SM (and Mew Mew, if it follows the manga) had "a storyline that runs throughout the entire season". It's just that SM had longer seasons and was made the same time as the manga was still being written (so they had to write a lot of filler). Razz

I suppose we all go through a "Mary Sue is cool!" stage at five or so. It's the only thing to really explain WC still being on the air.

Quote:

My only lament is that the DVD releases for it don't contain the original Italian language or script since I'd love to know what was changed.

Actually, I might be able to stomach it more in Italian. Because I don't speak it, but it's darn pretty. Razz

I'm sure some fanboy or fangirl online has a site with that stuff on it, though. Google it, you'll find it eventually.

I've actually heard that W.I.T.C.H., a comic series I think, also I think Italian, had a very similar setup to Winx Club but was supposed to be (that is, people I know and trust who have similar tastes to my own, which includes "I like the occasional bit of cheese", have said it is) much more well-done. If the girl you watch it with enjoys WC, maybe you could also try introducing her to W.I.T.C.H. some day.

Sorry. I probably came off as a lot snippier than I meant to, because I just came off a board whose entire purpose is to snark about things. Laughing That, and I think WC is just really, really bad. And as a writer, I cringe at the Mary Sues. I wish more writers could create non-Mary Sue characters for childrens' stories. Maybe I'd enjoy more of them and be less semi-ashamed to introduce my (future) kids to them.

THough come to think of it, did you realize that the more you hear a language as a child, the easier it is to learn it later? Or any language, really, to an extent?

I say: show kids some subbe CCS! Laughing

...OK, that's probably just the nerd in me speaking. Though if and when I do have kids, I'll probably have learned Japanese by then, and I'd certainly speak it to them, so subs wouldn't be so weird in that case. THough possibly no less nerdy...

Aaaand now I'm just completely babbling. Er... sorry? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

poweranime wrote:
I'm sad that its another few anime off the air waves... but thank goodness! Running a shop, I can pretty much testify that anybody coming in for One Piece or Tokyo Mew Mew stuff rarely (not never, but rarely) praises the 4Kids work on it... its normally the book reader or the Japanese uncut dedicated watcher who want my keychains, figures, gashapon or plushies... and is some cases, I had people come in and scoff at the stuff just because it is so badly done on TV... I almost think that its tv presentation did more damage to the OP rep than it did benefit. Like what Fox did to Escaflowne...

Well, I'd probably want the plushies if they're cute enough (I have a soft spot for stuffed animals and plushies). But then, I got my only impression of the series from:

1. The Tokyopop manga publication.

2. a few screen shots and character descriptions and stuff online.

So you probably can't trust my opininion on that.

I'm frankly surprised that the anime got picked up by 4Kids instead of Tokyopop, seeing as TP got rights to the manga and they do release anime. Strange. I guess manga rights are cheaper, though. Anime is something like $25,000 per episode, I think.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
It looks like this is probably a permanent change. The FOX affiliate who first posted the news (WVAH) now has there schedule posted through December 3rd, and One Piece and Mew Mew Power are gone through at least then.
Kisaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:

While I in no way will ever defend Bratz, Winx Club is actually really well done and is very appealing to its target audience of girls. I watch this every week with my five year old and she adores it. Even better, it has a storyline that runs throughout the entire season so it's not just stupid episodic garbage each week. My only lament is that the DVD releases for it don't contain the original Italian language or script since I'd love to know what was changed.

I agree. Winx Club is a good show, and I would like to see the original. The thing that gets me is this: in the Japanese stuff that they license, almost all the names are changed. But in Winx, the Italian name, Amore, stays the same. I'm surprised they didn't change it or literally translate it to "love." So they can keep Italian words but not Japanese ones. I'm sure that there are just as few kids who know what "amore" means as there are who know what "ichigo" means. Then they change Aisha to Layla... I don't really know what either one of those names means. I don't understand 4kids at all.

As for Mew Mew... I'm not sure whether to be disappaointed or relieved. The English dub was really crappy, but I loved the manga, so I just had to see the anime too. I really would like for it to get an uncut release. Preferably under it's original name.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I bet even the kids thought the One Piece theme was horrible.

Seriously, I was happy when One Piece was gonna come here; but when I saw it on 4Kids TV it wasn't just disappointing, it was a kick between the legs! I'm glad they took it off. Maybe now they can redo it and put back all the good stuff (IT'S BEER; NOT JUICE!!!!!).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is also 250 episodes long. That's a lot of money to invest, especially when you have a 220 episode series that's a lame duck right now.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is actually still goin, so it'll be more than 250 episodes ni the long run. It's the second longest series 4K!ds ever aquired (the longest being Poke'Mon).
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
And I think it's silly that edited One Piece and Bobobo episodes air LATER THAN (mostly) unedited episodes of Naruto, which is much less suitable for younger audiences.

Just curious, how edited is Bo-Bobo? I mean, obviously the dub has been tweaked a lot, because a straight-up translation of the jokes would fall flat. But is there any actual censoring going on or editing that would be nonsensical? Because if there is, I can't tell, the rest of the show is so nonsensical.

I'm wondering how many non-anime fans are liking it as much as me. I showed the first episode to one of my friends, a casual anime fan, and while he was seriously disturbed by it (I think it haunts his dreams), he was laughing the entire time.

But anyways, back on topic. Yes, it's ridiculous that One Piece is edited so late on Toonami, but it's easier for 4Kids to make more money by just sending over the same edited version they do for 4KidsTV than re-editing/dubbing it for the more lax standards at Toonami. I'm sure most executives with common sense would make the same decsion, though it doesn't make it the right decision in terms of fans.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
domino wrote:
And I think it's silly that edited One Piece and Bobobo episodes air LATER THAN (mostly) unedited episodes of Naruto, which is much less suitable for younger audiences.

Just curious, how edited is Bo-Bobo? I mean, obviously the dub has been tweaked a lot, because a straight-up translation of the jokes would fall flat. But is there any actual censoring going on or editing that would be nonsensical? Because if there is, I can't tell, the rest of the show is so nonsensical.

There's only been a few time cuts made to each episode, otherwise no editing, with the exception of the pink Gun.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
One Piece is also 250 episodes long. That's a lot of money to invest, especially when you have a 220 episode series that's a lame duck right now.

That's why I always figured One Piece would one of the less edited 4Kids shows, instead of the most edited show they've ever done-dubbing 250+ episodes is expensive enough, but you start making a bunch of expensive cuts and changes when you don't need to (such as spending thousands to blot out the word "Marine" and replace it with "Navy," or removing kanji from backgrounds) you're creating a situation where it's going to be next to impossible to turn a profit. Yugioh and Pokemon have both had far fewer cuts than other 4Kids shows-I always figured it was because the shows were so long that 4Kids only cut what they absolutly had to. Guess not.
coldspider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully this means that 4Kids has decided to put One Piece on hiatus.Seriously,that's the only option they have so they can take their time and sort this mess out.As Joe Mello mentioned,they have a series on their hands that isn't doing much of anything right now.And god knows how much money 4Kids had to pony up to acquire the rights to One Piece.The way things are going,4Kids just can't go on about doing what they want to and expect to make a profit off of One Piece.Something is going to have to change.

I figure they could stop production of the series for awhile and let the staff and the VA's focus on other projects.After a couple of months or so,they can get back to One Piece and start fresh.One thing they can totally scrap is all that re-scoring BS.There really is no need to change the music in a series like One Piece.(and honestly,they'll be saving money by doing so.it's a win/win situation) And obviously they can take this opportunity to recast and redub the series.That is,if 4Kids decides to get smart about all this. =/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4