• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece And Mew Mew Power Dropped From 4Kids Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firemac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
If anyone wants to know what Crocodile and Mr.2 will sound, check out the game, One Piece: Grand Battle. I played it (American version), and unlocked both Mr.2 and Crocodile, and oh man their voice overs are horrible, Mr.2 is the worst one off. It doesn't seem like they edited anything on him physically, but they changed his "Ballet" kenpo (Karate) to Crazy Karate, and he says so much during battle and story mode sequences it gets really freaking annoying.

Crocodile's isn't so bad, but it's still bad. His cigar is obviously gone.

Also, here some Baroque Work character name changes

(you already know this one)
Ms. AllSunday to Ms. Sunday

Ms. Goldenweek to Ms. Aprilfoolsday
Ms. Merrychristmas to Ms. Groundhogsday (that one is actually clever)

Ms. Doublefinger to Ms. Newyearseve
rocklobster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
I, too hope Toonami continues to air One Piece with episodes edited more for their standards. Then I'd actually watch it. 4Kids must die!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
taconinja wrote:
Sure, it's not like I actually watch 4Kids TV, but it's still a shame that anime is being dropped instead of Bratz or Winx Club or whatever.
-_-;; Yeah I get what you mean. I think at least MMP will finish its season. I can't say much about the finishing of the One Piece series though. Do I even care for it to be finished?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What I find amusing is that they, as well as 4Kids defenders, whine about how much the music rights cost and all that crap, when the MASSIVE AND UNNECESSARY PAINT EDITS, as well as the complete butchering of the episodes, are probably costing more for 4Kids than the original music would.

Oh, and I find it perfectly logical to cut off One Piece.

October 1st

One Piece 1.1/5

October 8th

One Piece 1.3/6

October 15th

One Piece 0.6/3

October 29th

One Piece 0.7/3

November 5th

One Piece 0.4/2

Yikes.

Williams Street apparently doesn't dig the dub too much, so if CN becomes their only outlet to air the series (they'd have to be completely batshit insane to continue it on Saturday mornings), perhaps they could request less edits? After all, CN is where most of One Piece's... profit, if it can be called that... comes from.
lavothas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
let 4kids die, anything they touch for anime is inevidably destroyed by their excessive editing and censoring both One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew were great series before that company got them now you've got One Piece with "Zolo" and a crudy rap theme (nothing against rap but that theme sucks) and "Mew Mew Power" which makes the "DIC" adaptation of "Sailor Moon" look like it's true to the origonal. i'm kind of surprized that they left the "Mew Mew" part of the name in and didn't just change the title of the show completely.

Last edited by lavothas on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Digital paint and what not wouldn't cost as much as music rights, but what people fail to realise is that music rights was never the problem with One Piece. The problem was that 4Kids wanted to change it. That's the jist of it.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
I, too hope Toonami continues to air One Piece with episodes edited more for their standards. Then I'd actually watch it. 4Kids must die!

Um, Toonami shows the same exact episodes as 4KidsTV. Where did you get the idea that they were showing a less-edited version? If they were, do you think anyone would be complaining? They'd all watch the Toonami broadcasts instead of the 4KidsTV ones! And anyway, by Toonami's current standards, most of the stuff 4Kids took out would probably be left in if CN were editing it to broadcast standards.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Sean Akins apparently thinks that they're airing a less edited version...

Maybe we could convince him and...

Ah hell, it's not going to work. *resumes pessimism*
coldspider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
If 4Kids does want to have a fresh start with One Piece,I see 2 possible approaches to a revamped dub.

Many people have already suggested that maybe a slightly less edited version of One Piece could air on Toonami.Similar to the Toonami versons of DBZ or Naruto.The problem is that they will still need to go back and add some of those same (but less ridiculous) edits for certain episodes.Now these are Toonami standards we're talking about,so the number of new edits may not be that much to begin with.But cost is always an issue with 4Kids as it is with any other business.So they might be hesitant about this approach the same they're hesitant about releasing uncut DVDs.

The other approach might be to redub the series,and that's it.No cuts,no edits,and just have a faithful english translation of the series.With this kind of dub,I think 4Kids could take a shot at getting the show to air on Adult Swim.Before Scryed ever showed up on AS,I know this was a pretty farfetched idea.But after Scryed,I think One Piece had a good chance on getting on the AS action schedule.And this isn't coming from a hardcore One Piece fan.I've never seen the japanese version and only seen some of the dub and I honestly think 4Kids should consider putting it on AS.

4Kids knows that they have to start making a better return on One Piece.Redubbing the series might be a good option but a 'Toonami Version' is going to cost them a bit more money.The series could go to AS but they might be afraid of losing viewers.

Personally,I'd like to see the series on AS and I'm pretty sure it could be a success even if it does air late night.Haven't the Inuyasha DVDs sold well?

Last edited by coldspider on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JosephCain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I... honestly do not see the hype in One Piece, to be honest. It wasn't a very good series to begin with, at least to me. In fact, I find the dub voices to be pretty good, save for the fact that Sanji makes me wanna slam my head into something large. I don't think 4Kids knows that David Moo can't act. Heck, I could only find him "acceptable" as Xellos when watching Slayers... that guy is way too naisal for his own good...

Still, why do you really care about the use of Guns in that anime? The Guns don't even DO anything to ANYONE in One Piece. When one's shot, the guy usually just ducks and dives, or in the case of Luffy, it bounces right off. Beer has no impact on the story whatsoever, and they push human extremities to the point a character could die, but they don't (Arlong Park and helping Luffy underwater, anyone?).

Also, the introduction of Crocodile just cheesed the series for me watch too much, I understand Sand Fruit + Desert = roflgod, but turning your entire body into grains of sand? Some of these fruit powers just get blown way out of preportion in terms of power, and no one really dies in the anime. Robin... the Blossoming or Flower Fruit or whatever is original, but it's way too overpowered for it's own good.

There's no sense of balance, and the other crew members feel more like extra baggage than available members that can actually make a difference in a fight. Luffy just may as well get himself a horde of underlings like every other pirate, because in truth, it's always him who saves the day. Maybe it's not the bad dub that's turning the kids off, maybe they just know crap when they see it.

Nami and Usopp have no powers, and everytime they DO use their brains, it's luck that gets them through, not knowledge, skill, or talent, unlike characters like Jango, Kurokaze, even people in the Bucky Pirates had more combat skills than they do.

Ultimately, the only reason they pull through is because Luffy is the main character. That's the only thing that's saving them. That and Zoro is another one of those "zomg I have a katana so I can cut anything. Hell, I can use 3 and not even break my teeth using the 3rd roflcopter!".
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Man, that was angsty.

I find the great irony of the 4Kids repackaging is that they renamed booze "Power Juice" which is kinda sending the wrong message out there, don't you think? (Haven't these people heard of sasparilla? Or Birch beer?)

Remember folks, in order for One Piece to get a new anything, it has to go through 4Kids, first (and to a lesser extent, Toei)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote
Recycled cliches and such haven't stopped certian Anime from being immensly successful, which One Piece might have been. However, to an extent I have to agree with you, but it wouldn't have been the characters nor story that would've turned people off (because really, it's made for kids, and it's by the Japanese, so expect, pulled-out-of-the-ass cliche yet fun superstuff), it would have been the somewhat abstract, odd looking style of it all. I don't really need to cite any examples, because well, some things do work, whereas others just simply would turn people off.

In Japan it's the next Dragonball, and what I think 4Kids, in a completely fictional, "I'm talking a load of horse crap here" situation didn't realise was that it was Dragonball, not Dragonball Z, because while they are part of the same franchise, they were in somewhat different leagues to each other.

In a way though, you do give kids a bit too much credit (or not enough?) Wink.
domino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
domino wrote:
And I think it's silly that edited One Piece and Bobobo episodes air LATER THAN (mostly) unedited episodes of Naruto, which is much less suitable for younger audiences.

Just curious, how edited is Bo-Bobo? I mean, obviously the dub has been tweaked a lot, because a straight-up translation of the jokes would fall flat. But is there any actual censoring going on or editing that would be nonsensical? Because if there is, I can't tell, the rest of the show is so nonsensical.

Lately they've been starting to translate the jokes more literally, actually. Either way the show makes no sense, and that's the show's point.

As for editing, though, there are minor edits (like the editing out of the "last time on Bobobo" gag originally at the beginning of the first episode) as well as censorship. They cut out a scene about a duck falling in love/dating/marrying a pair of panties. And again, I could understand them wanting to censorship a pair of panties, but I don't understand why they're not allowed to show panties in a time slot that's on LATER than Naruto, which features an unedited Sexy no Jutsu (near complete nudity).
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
JosephCain wrote:
I... honestly do not see the hype in One Piece, to be honest. It wasn't a very good series to begin with, at least to me. In fact, I find the dub voices to be pretty good, save for the fact that Sanji makes me wanna slam my head into something large. I don't think 4Kids knows that David Moo can't act. Heck, I could only find him "acceptable" as Xellos when watching Slayers... that guy is way too naisal for his own good...

Still, why do you really care about the use of Guns in that anime? The Guns don't even DO anything to ANYONE in One Piece. When one's shot, the guy usually just ducks and dives, or in the case of Luffy, it bounces right off. Beer has no impact on the story whatsoever, and they push human extremities to the point a character could die, but they don't (Arlong Park and helping Luffy underwater, anyone?).

Also, the introduction of Crocodile just cheesed the series for me watch too much, I understand Sand Fruit + Desert = roflgod, but turning your entire body into grains of sand? Some of these fruit powers just get blown way out of preportion in terms of power, and no one really dies in the anime. Robin... the Blossoming or Flower Fruit or whatever is original, but it's way too overpowered for it's own good.

Dude, you're completely missing the point of our complaints.

We're not complaining about "OH PISS NO VIOLENCE THIS DUB IS TEH SUX", we're complaining about pretty much everything BUT that. Changing the music, cutting episodes for some inexplicable reason, and putting as little effort as possible into the series' production = complaints. Most of us have accepted that they can't show blood and cigarettes unedited on broadcast TV.

Quote:
Maybe it's not the bad dub that's turning the kids off, maybe they just know crap when they see it.

Here's the thing. There are more teens watching and buying One Piece than kids - 8-14 and 12-17 audiences, mostly 8-14 though.

And... 4Kids STILL thinks they need to edit this show down for the audience that ISN'T WATCHING? Are they blithering idiots (yes)!? Haven't the successes of Zatch Bell and Naruto taught them anything? There have been liberties taken in TV dubs in the past, but One Piece goes too far in that direction and simply put, 4Kids doesn't know how to market it.

What probably disappoints me more than accuracy or effort or anything is how little 4Kids tries to make it a success. I swear it's almost as if when they licensed this series they were only thinking how badly they could screw it up.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Man, that was angsty.

I find the great irony of the 4Kids repackaging is that they renamed booze "Power Juice" which is kinda sending the wrong message out there, don't you think? (Haven't these people heard of sasparilla? Or Birch beer?)

Or Jesus Juice? Laughing

It could've been worse....remember that Power Rangers Episode with a Juice Bar in the Wild West?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4